OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re a good group of folks. I know the owner, and he’s very particular about his corals. You can almost always be guaranteed that they will look as good if not better than the pictures - because he often temporarily pulls corals from inventory if they have any temporary fading, etc. - and doesn’t put them back up until he’s completely happy.
That sounds great, I may order from them soon.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds great, I may order from them soon.
They also have a lot of very rare corals not listed on their website, so if there’s something you’re looking for that they don’t have listed - drop them a line. More often than not they have something lurking in the back...

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also have a lot of very rare corals not listed on their website, so if there’s something you’re looking for that they don’t have listed - drop them a line. More often than not they have something lurking in the back...
Will keep that in mind

Tyler Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BC: frag garage, blue world aquariums, jl aquatics, shoreline corals, canada corals. There is a guy in north vancouver who has tons of sps, but he does not have a website.

Alberta: aquarium illusions, ethical aquatics, cuddled corals, the marine experience, wais aquarium (no website, but big selection. Calgary), coral addicts, great white reefs

sask: bayside corals

manitoba: concrete blonde, into the blue

the forums and online groups have tons of people who grow and ship, but do not have stores.
there are also lots more local stores in the west, but also do not have big online presences. I find a lot of the smaller stores have way more stock than listed online, calling them is best.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's important to note that many sources either do not place their livestock in separate tanks (with separate water systems) for observation for sale, and/or do not treat incoming livestock at all. And it's not like we can medicate any incoming livestock. I'd prefer not to run copper in my QT tanks, but that's still better than losing an entire display to disease.

I've bought livestock from a number of sources, and the only fish that I've bought that were NOT diseased/parasitized came from New Dawn Aquaculture, Ethical Aquatics, and Marine Exprience. All three are also excellent to deal with.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it’s New Dawn Aquaculture in Edmonton. His prices are very reasonable, everything is spotless and customer service via email is top notch.
Candy Corals in Mississauga is a great place to visit and buy from. He has an amazing selection of fish and coral and dry goods. It’s an almost 2 hour drive for me each way but I gladly make the trip a couple of times a month.
finally there’s Coral Reef Shop in Burlington. Probably the best prices around and the boss is open to negotiating. I think he gets a lot of his coral stock from his customers

I’ve also been very fortunate to get some amazing Acropora frags at giveaway prices from a local reefer who I connected with through thefragtank forum.

OP
OP
Sleeping Giant

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it’s New Dawn Aquaculture in Edmonton. His prices are very reasonable, everything is spotless and customer service via email is top notch.
Candy Corals in Mississauga is a great place to visit and buy from. He has an amazing selection of fish and coral and dry goods. It’s an almost 2 hour drive for me each way but I gladly make the trip a couple of times a month.
finally there’s Coral Reef Shop in Burlington. Probably the best prices around and the boss is open to negotiating. I think he gets a lot of his coral stock from his customers

I’ve also been very fortunate to get some amazing Acropora frags at giveaway prices from a local reefer who I connected with through thefragtank forum.
That's awesome, I wish there were stores in my city. Always have to order online, the LFS here is down to one 10 gallon tank and it looks horrible.

Tyler Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome, I wish there were stores in my city. Always have to order online, the LFS here is down to one 10 gallon tank and it looks horrible.
My closest stores/dealers are 2, 2.5, and 5 hour drives, and those are my airports as well. Shipping is not an option so i have to drive for everything.
luckily we travel a lot so that isn’t a huge hinderance.

Sharkattackmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re in Mississauga you have a few choices. Big al’s Mississauga has a hit or miss selection but normally their prices are awesome because of how much they sell. If you go there you have to walk over to discount dragon and more importantly aquatic kingdom. DD can be very hit or miss but they have a large selection of fish both SW and FW. Daniel at aquatic kingdom has lots of corals and vast knowledge of saltwater. He has good prices also. Head up Dixie road and you have Candy Corals as well as Exotic Aquarium Depot. I have my own feelings towards candy but Abdul at EAD is a gem. He has ordered in fish for me that I couldn’t get elsewhere, doesn’t have a huge coral selection but he just installed a very large tank inside and got himself a black tip reef shark. Aquarium depot is just up the road also and they have a great selection of hardware.

Take a trip east on the 401 and you’ve got both fragbox and gtareef. Both are great stores with very nice owners and lots of tips for new comers. They are the two stores that I got my first corals from.

I believe that is all the shops I’ve gone too in Ontario but I know there are a few down st Catherine ways. Little shop of coral and under the sea. I’d recommend joining gtareefers on Facebook as well as gta saltwater and reef.

If you’re ever out west in Calgary they have a lot of local reefers but Pieces Pet Emporium and the two other shops on 16th ave are nice also. I could not believe the change in price for corals between the two provinces. These “ultra candy rainbow” prices only seem to exist in Ontario. Probably my favourite in Calgary is concept aquarium. They didn’t have much while I was in there but promised me they could order in anything and beat anyones prices. The owner also has a few stunning tanks in the back that they frag from and sell higher end corals for amazing prices.

Lastly there is frag garage out of BC. I havnt ordered from him yet but when I start my new tank there are a few higher end sps I plan on getting from him. He was also nice enough to speak to me over the phone and assure me I wasn’t just sending money to a random website.

Hope you don’t mind I brought up this old thread back to life and was able to give you a few more places to look for corals. Happy reefing!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re in Mississauga you have a few choices. Big al’s Mississauga has a hit or miss selection but normally their prices are awesome because of how much they sell. If you go there you have to walk over to discount dragon and more importantly aquatic kingdom. DD can be very hit or miss but they have a large selection of fish both SW and FW. Daniel at aquatic kingdom has lots of corals and vast knowledge of saltwater. He has good prices also. Head up Dixie road and you have Candy Corals as well as Exotic Aquarium Depot. I have my own feelings towards candy but Abdul at EAD is a gem. He has ordered in fish for me that I couldn’t get elsewhere, doesn’t have a huge coral selection but he just installed a very large tank inside and got himself a black tip reef shark. Aquarium depot is just up the road also and they have a great selection of hardware.

Take a trip east on the 401 and you’ve got both fragbox and gtareef. Both are great stores with very nice owners and lots of tips for new comers. They are the two stores that I got my first corals from.

I believe that is all the shops I’ve gone too in Ontario but I know there are a few down st Catherine ways. Little shop of coral and under the sea. I’d recommend joining gtareefers on Facebook as well as gta saltwater and reef.

If you’re ever out west in Calgary they have a lot of local reefers but Pieces Pet Emporium and the two other shops on 16th ave are nice also. I could not believe the change in price for corals between the two provinces. These “ultra candy rainbow” prices only seem to exist in Ontario. Probably my favourite in Calgary is concept aquarium. They didn’t have much while I was in there but promised me they could order in anything and beat anyones prices. The owner also has a few stunning tanks in the back that they frag from and sell higher end corals for amazing prices.

Lastly there is frag garage out of BC. I havnt ordered from him yet but when I start my new tank there are a few higher end sps I plan on getting from him. He was also nice enough to speak to me over the phone and assure me I wasn’t just sending money to a random website.

Hope you don’t mind I brought up this old thread back to life and was able to give you a few more places to look for corals. Happy reefing!
Wow … thanks for the insight into each store .
March at fragbox is great . Along with his staff .

candy corals … that used to be afnan ?
Gta reefs on Facebook ….. I used to buy closed Facebook a few years ago .

i
Almost want to admit … working in Mississauga and driving 1.5 hours in traffic home .
sticking around or even driving there when I’m not working . And gas almost $2 per litre. Road trips are almost a thing of the passed .

back on topic …..
let’s make a list of who would want to participate in a grow challenge .

@Fragbox Corals just for a nice shipment of acros in .

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stay away from Raging Reef (QC). They have all sort of pest...

LpsSps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to Candy Corals a few days ago (Feb 8th 2023) and his store blew me away. Huge selection in at least 4 giant coral tanks and anything I asked for in hardware he had. Things like newest salt, 2" frag discs, all frozen food types, live pods, and specific additives. I was very impressed. Prices a little on the high side but there are frequent discounts and the quality is there.

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to Candy Corals a few days ago (Feb 8th 2023) and his store blew me away. Huge selection in at least 4 giant coral tanks and anything I asked for in hardware he had. Things like newest salt, 2" frag discs, all frozen food types, live pods, and specific additives. I was very impressed. Prices a little on the high side but there are frequent discounts and the quality is there.
Been dealing with candy corals for over a year now and have nothing but good things to say about Afnan. Always top quality fish and corals, with no diseases and customer service is on another level. I reccomend them to anyone in Canada

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In canada just avoid ragingreef, their tanks are not clean. They'll sell you a coral with aiptasia, bubble and something alse (parasite wise) and after they'll tell you "ah, we rise the parasites to feed our fish"...

Fragbox, candy corals are ok. Fraggarage once send me the corals with red planaria.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back