Best design software?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m a Mac user and want to learn how to create my own designs, but there’s a large learning curve and I don’t have a lot of spare time. From the 3 free offerings that I’ve found (so far) Fusion 360 looks to be the best? I tried Blender, but couldn’t do anything with that software, seemed too much like a PC program to me. Any thoughts or suggestions? Also, I’m trying to design a very simple sleeve/shim for my 8020 profile (essentially a square tube) so I can slide the support pieces into an existing steal tube. Any help would be much appreciated.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Fusion 360 at home for my 3D designs. I use inventor and autocad mechanical at work but do not have any experience with the other programs.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our staff uses fusion 360. If you want something free try blender. Keep in mind that there are 2D and solid modeling programs. Sketchup for example will not be a good choice if you want solid modeling capabilities.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you don't have the time to invest in learning the software, then you will be limited to the things you model. It really takes time and patients, another thing is getting the language down also. tinker cad is very easy to learn, its cloud based. another one that is good is free cad, because there are so many tutorial videos on youtube for it; bottom line is that you will end up spending lots of time learning and refining your models, the learning curve an be a challenge, having experience in the machining world also gives you added knowledge.

OP
OP
minus9

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you don't have the time to invest in learning the software, then you will be limited to the things you model. It really takes time and patients, another thing is getting the language down also. tinker cad is very easy to learn, its cloud based. another one that is good is free cad, because there are so many tutorial videos on youtube for it; bottom line is that you will end up spending lots of time learning and refining your models, the learning curve an be a challenge, having experience in the machining world also gives you added knowledge.
Yeah, I'm planning on watching a bunch of tutorials, but I'm always busy with work and need to get this tank up and running asap and the only thing holding it up is printing the sleeves I need for the canopy. I might have to pay someone to design it for me until I have a chance to sit down with the software? I thought there would be a stl file for a basic hollow tube square that I could modify, but no such luck.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, I'm planning on watching a bunch of tutorials, but I'm always busy with work and need to get this tank up and running asap and the only thing holding it up is printing the sleeves I need for the canopy. I might have to pay someone to design it for me until I have a chance to sit down with the software? I thought there would be a stl file for a basic hollow tube square that I could modify, but no such luck.
sound simple, perhaps I can print it for you?

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For super basic stuff i love tinkercad. Its a free website, with super basic shapes.
This, a millions times this. Tinkercad is amazing I literally just put my build from college ruled legal pad to a real grid. 3D workplane for that sump? Yes please! Thanks for this juicy searchable nugget.

masterofstuff124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see blender recommended often, its free.
fusion 360 for hobbyists and missing some features is free (this is what I use and recommend.)
I initially was using tinkercad but couldnt get it to do basic things.
prusa slicer keeps adding features that make modifying stls and making basic shapes easy. feels like its slowly approaching a very basic 3d cad level.

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use fusion 360 almost exclusively these days. I still like sketchup for some things and Microsoft 3d builder is great for fixings models and doing some basic modifications to existing models.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F360, legacy autocad and rarely anymore, inventor. I now pay for F360. I have used countless 2D and 3D packages over the years. SketchUp is (IMHO) one of the least intuitive and clunkiest pieces of software that I have ever used. I despise it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 54 65.9%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back