Best External Overflow

idle0095

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best external overflow for a 90 gallon tank? Kinda want a self siphoning one.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best external overflow for a 90 gallon tank? Kinda want a self siphoning one.

the 'best' is a loaded question.

If it were me, I would get the tank drilled and mount an external overflow, and not do a hang on with siphon. I could never fully trust the siphon not to leak, although there are plenty here who them without issue as well.

Just a choice you have to make based on your own personal comfort level.

There are plenty of options:

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, the Lifereef is the standard for HOB overflows. If you’re gonna drill your tank however, go with the Modular Marine 1600 or 1800 GPH low profile ghost style overflow. What sets the Modular Marine apart is the fact that the internal weir box and external drain box are even in height with each other which gives you a greater range of flow options that run silently. Set ups where the external box is lower in height than the weir box suffer from a smaller range of flow options because of the drop in height from the weir box to the drain box Which gets noisy due to water splashing.

I use a Modular Marine 1200 GPH overflow on my 57 gallon rimless. Because of space constraints in my sump, I have it set up as a dual drain Herbie and it runs silently.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back