Best Fish.

Eagle.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best algae eater (fish) in your experience for a reef tank? Doesn't matter the size of the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
twin spot blenny and kole eye tang

OP
OP
Eagle.

Eagle.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
twin spot blenny and kole eye tang
I am new to the reefing hobby. I started with freshwater and got the fish from anyplace and just quarantined them. But where it the best place to get fish. From a store like worldwide corals or from a fellow reefer?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the reefing hobby. I started with freshwater and got the fish from anyplace and just quarantined them. But where it the best place to get fish. From a store like worldwide corals or from a fellow reefer?
QuarantinedFish.us sells fully quarantined fish, just request any fish you want and he’ll find it for you!

NYAquatics, BlueZoo, and LiveAquaria are probably some of the more common vendors that people use, but with LA’s recent change in management their customer service seems to have taken a left turn. I still hear positive feedback about bluezoo and NY though

OP
OP
Eagle.

Eagle.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QuarantinedFish.us sells fully quarantined fish, just request any fish you want and he’ll find it for you!

NYAquatics, BlueZoo, and LiveAquaria are probably some of the more common vendors that people use, but with LA’s recent change in management their customer service seems to have taken a left turn. I still hear positive feedback about bluezoo and NY though
Thank you soo much. I want to build up and buy high-end coral but I want to use the money I make selling frags of corals. What kind of corals should I get and from where?

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on what type of algae because some fish will only graze specific types. But +1 on foxface for always having an appetite to graze, and is less discriminative against different algae. Only caveat, it also likes to chump on clam mantles and occassionally corals.
Same goes to anything blenny, they aren't always coral safe and will bite clam mantles. But are generally good grazers too.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you soo much. I want to build up and buy high-end coral but I want to use the money I make selling frags of corals. What kind of corals should I get and from where?
I always try to buy hobbyist raised corals. It supports other reefers, Coral is cheaper, and it’s usually better sizes/quality/healthier than vendor. If I want vendor stuff, I wait for a live sale. Most sites have them 1-2x per year and R2R hosts one like every weekend :)

el aguila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have 5 tangs and have had a foxface, but in my opinion the best grazer that I’ve ever had is a parrotfish. Only downside is their size requirements plus they tend to only graze on upper rocks (where algae grows best) and leave lower rocks alone.

For a smaller tank a group of black mollies are algae eating machines. I have a 70G that gets used mostly as a quarantine tank for my larger tank. They keep it spotless plus double as a canary fish that will show ich and many other saltwater ailments fast.

Granted most people turn their noses up at mollies, and mollies don’t like high flow, but they serve my purposes well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back