Best food

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just great lol, another thing to worry about haha.

Just remember, the three most important things in reef keeping are: (1) water quality, (2) water quality, and (3) water quality. :)

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember, the three most important things in reef keeping are: (1) water quality, (2) water quality, and (3) water quality. :)
I know!! That’s why I get so worried about giving them the wrong food, sometimes I give them flakes and other kind at the same time... I know I know what a dumb idea, but I get annoyed that the ocellaris doesn’t seem to eat lol

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know!! That’s why I get so worried about giving them the wrong food, sometimes I give them flakes and other kind at the same time... I know I know what a dumb idea, but I get annoyed that the ocellaris doesn’t seem to eat lol

There is absolutely nothing dumb about being passionate about the animals that are in your care. Options and variety are beneficial to the health and well-being of fish for several reasons. As I suggest in my signature, we can't force our fish to do anything (including eating something other than flakes), but we can open the space for them to thrive and often they will. We're cheering for you - you got this!

nuke 208

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the variety pack helps them get a balanced diet
20190614_163755.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes to LRS and also Rods foods.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the variety pack helps them get a balanced diet
20190614_163755.jpeg
Thank you!!! Funny, I saw this one at the store and thought about getting it, but got the mysis shrimp and another one like that, but purple packet,I forgot what is has.Now, let me ask you, how many cubes do you give your fish and how many fishies do you have? Lol. I have 5 including pistol shrimp and I give them one in the AM and another one at night. Is that a lot? I feel like I might be over feeding lol, the saddleback looks chubby, but the other ones look okay. Also, I feel like the hawkfish should be eating more babes tho?

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is absolutely nothing dumb about being passionate about the animals that are in your care. Options and variety are beneficial to the health and well-being of fish for several reasons. As I suggest in my signature, we can't force our fish to do anything (including eating something other than flakes), but we can open the space for them to thrive and often they will. We're cheering for you - you got this!
Thank you!!! :):)

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!! Funny, I saw this one at the store and thought about getting it, but got the mysis shrimp and another one like that, but purple packet,I forgot what is has.Now, let me ask you, how many cubes do you give your fish and how many fishies do you have? Lol. I have 5 including pistol shrimp and I give them one in the AM and another one at night. Is that a lot? I feel like I might be over feeding lol, the saddleback looks chubby, but the other ones look okay. Also, I feel like the hawkfish should be eating more babes tho?
2 cubes a day sounds about right. As long as there isn’t any floating around 10 mins after feeding your feeding the right amount. I’d check out hakari or pe mysis over SF bay fwiw. I’ve tried them all. Just my $0.02

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 cubes a day sounds about right. As long as there isn’t any floating around 10 mins after feeding your feeding the right amount. I’d check out hakari or pe mysis over SF bay fwiw. I’ve tried them all. Just my $0.02

Oops I said “more babes” at the end haha, oh oh embarrassing.... but anyway theres is some food left after 10 minutes, but just a little bit.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep it simple, flakes (plus pellets) and frozen food. 5 times a week for dry food and 2 times with frozen food.

Thank you!!! I just want to make sure they eat well, like all the nutrients they need and everything.I know I sound crazy lol. Flakes seems like is not a good food and gets the water dirty IMO. I might be wrong tho haha

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!! I just want to make sure they eat well, like all the nutrients they need and everything.I know I sound crazy lol. Flakes seems like is not a good food and gets the water dirty IMO. I might be wrong tho haha
Yep your right. I’m not sure if it’s nitrate and phosphate that keeps it bound together, but dried foods always spike my phosphate. That leads to algae and poor looking water quality.
I literally never feed dry. Haven’t in over a year and a half.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feed about 10 different foods. I rotate. New Life Spectrum has an excellent probiotic pellet food. I don't rinse my frozen cubes. I also don't turn off my pumps when I feed. I get a much better feeding response.

nuke 208

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have about ten fish and i only do a cube a day with algae strips for tangs. Nd I would say 2 cubes is a lot but it's all opion some people swear by feeding multiple times a day and some only feed every other day so it all in what works for u. But I will say there is many more people battling aglea from over feeding then there is dealing with starving fish haha.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have about ten fish and i only do a cube a day with algae strips for tangs. Nd I would say 2 cubes is a lot but it's all opion some people swear by feeding multiple times a day and some only feed every other day so it all in what works for u. But I will say there is many more people battling aglea from over feeding then there is dealing with starving fish haha.

Hahaha, well my tank never has algae because of my turbo snails, they are sooo good at their job lol. And I have to feed them twice a day, it kills me to think they are hungry lol [emoji23] specially the Hawkfish.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh. I feed about 1/2-3/4 cube every other day for 4 fish.

nuke 208

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha, well my tank never has algae because of my turbo snails, they are sooo good at their job lol. And I have to feed them twice a day, it kills me to think they are hungry lol [emoji23] specially the Hawkfish.
Yea fish always look hungry lol. U just want to be careful cause over time (a year or so) waist will build up In the rock then it's really hard to keep under control.have u put any corals in this tank yet?

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea fish always look hungry lol. U just want to be careful cause over time (a year or so) waist will build up In the rock then it's really hard to keep under control.have u put any corals in this tank yet?

Not yet, I am hesitant to add corals, I am scared to ruin things [emoji23]

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not yet, I am hesitant to add corals, I am scared to ruin things [emoji23]
For sure get coral! Don’t be scared! We can help you with any questions you have. Corals are great to have in sw tanks besides looking awesome, they remove extra food in the tank and water as well which helps keep nutrients lower. It’s a whole ecosystem. You need coral or you will have algae. Something will eat the extra nutrients, you want that to be coral.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure get coral! Don’t be scared! We can help you with any questions you have. Corals are great to have in sw tanks besides looking awesome, they remove extra food in the tank and water as well which helps keep nutrients lower. It’s a whole ecosystem. You need coral or you will have algae. Something will eat the extra nutrients, you want that to be coral.

Ohhhhh, I like! Lol okay, I will get corals, now the question is which one? And what do I need to do or add before? I am going to read about it, but I need a opinions lol

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 31.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back