Best food

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhhh, I like! Lol okay, I will get corals, now the question is which one? And what do I need to do or add before? I am going to read about it, but I need a opinions lol
Make a new thread or check out some threads on beginner corals. But see what you like first and we can help from there :)

nuke 208

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhhhh, I like! Lol okay, I will get corals, now the question is which one? And what do I need to do or add before? I am going to read about it, but I need a opinions lol
I liked acans and zoanthids when I started and they are pretty easy then u can get torches and hammers for movment
Screenshot_20190615-132620_Chrome.jpeg
Screenshot_20190615-132929_Chrome.jpeg

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked acans and zoanthids when I started and they are pretty easy then u can get torches and hammers for movment
Screenshot_20190615-132620_Chrome.jpeg
Screenshot_20190615-132929_Chrome.jpeg
Oh emm gee lol , so beautiful. I have been researching and there are so many!! It is very overwhelming. Thank you!!

nuke 208

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh emm gee lol , so beautiful. I have been researching and there are so many!! It is very overwhelming. Thank you!!
Yea that's the problem is there is thousands of color combinations of about every coral but your piece of the ocean Is only so big

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, make sure to rinse frozen cubes. They are loaded into the pods with a gel that is like a po4 bomb when it melts in ur tank. Rinse with rodi or fresh salt water and get all the crap out before u feed. Or make a slurry of all the foods and freeze them in an ice cube tray.
This has been proven false. Rinsing frozen food has a negligible effect on po4 levels. Just a waste of time.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This has been proven false. Rinsing frozen food has a negligible effect on po4 levels. Just a waste of time.

@BigJohnny - I feed frozen cubes and frozen sheets regularly and haven't rinsed them for a while. I have heard others make statements like yours that it has been proven false, but I haven't been able to find a source - do you know if there is anything out there from vendors or other places that support what I am currently doing? TIA

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mysis, enriched brine shrimp, flakes and rods or LRS frozen foods. Also small pellets

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi, what’s the best food to feed a hawkfish, clownfish, YW goby and pistol shrimp? I have been feeding them mysis and brine shrimp, also spirulina? And once and a while some flakes that contains garlic. The problem is that the Ocellaris seems like he doesn’t like anything but the flakes and I just want to make sure that they all like their food.
20190617_212342.jpg
I've had to have tried every food. These 2 are without a doubt my favorite. Lrs is a frozen blend of raw seafood. Would be wise to mix between both frozen and pellets/flake. Otherwise just alone feeding flake is like eating flintstone vitamin potato chips for the rest of your life

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion, feed a quality flake food (Formula 1 and prime reef are my choices) or pellet and then supplement with whatever frozen foods you like if and as you feel like it.

The people talking about all the phosphates in food and how flake food isn't good are a little misguided and just repeating a lot of misinformation that's been in the hobby for decades. Phosphates/phosphorous in food is actually a good thing since the PO4 level is usually directly associated with protein levels, and most fish need a lot of protein.

Lastly, skip the garlic unless you're trying to get a picky eater to eat, then it's worth a try. Otherwise, it seems to be pretty useless and may not even be good for fish.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion, feed a quality flake food (Formula 1 and prime reef are my choices) or pellet and then supplement with whatever frozen foods you like if and as you feel like it.

The people talking about all the phosphates in food and how flake food isn't good are a little misguided and just repeating a lot of misinformation that's been in the hobby for decades. Phosphates/phosphorous in food is actually a good thing since the PO4 level is usually directly associated with protein levels, and most fish need a lot of protein.

Lastly, skip the garlic unless you're trying to get a picky eater to eat, then it's worth a try. Otherwise, it seems to be pretty useless and may not even be good for fish.

Great, the flakes that my clownfish loves has garlic in it lol maybe that’s why he doesn’t eat the frozen food.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, the flakes that my clownfish loves has garlic in it lol maybe that’s why he doesn’t eat the frozen food.

Don't sweat it, it's probably mostly worthless and not harmful unless you're feeding them actual fresh garlic.

Cheato Pet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BigJohnny - I feed frozen cubes and frozen sheets regularly and haven't rinsed them for a while. I have heard others make statements like yours that it has been proven false, but I haven't been able to find a source - do you know if there is anything out there from vendors or other places that support what I am currently doing? TIA

Several people have done some tests but I forget who. I think randy Holmes-Farley did a hypothetical analysis in one of his phosphate articles. In reality there is probably a 1-2% phosphate reduction when rinsing frozen food, and therefore not worth your time imo. Especially because the fine particles and whatever else you are rinsing off are likely beneficial to filter feeders in the tank.

Aquanautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only feed prime reef flakes and new life spectrum pellets, never mess with frozen. Fish are very happy, its low polluting and easy. I have macro in the tank and dose phyto too for microfauna. I wouldn't feed frozen in anything less than a 75g personally

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back