Best food

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, what’s the best food to feed a hawkfish, clownfish, YW goby and pistol shrimp? I have been feeding them mysis and brine shrimp, also spirulina? And once and a while some flakes that contains garlic. The problem is that the Ocellaris seems like he doesn’t like anything but the flakes and I just want to make sure that they all like their food.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, what’s the best food to feed a hawkfish, clownfish, YW goby and pistol shrimp? I have been feeding them mysis and brine shrimp, also spirulina? And once and a while some flakes that contains garlic. The problem is that the Ocellaris seems like he doesn’t like anything but the flakes and I just want to make sure that they all like their food.

I would encourage you to feed a variety of foods including live foods. LRS, Rod's, and Reef Nutrition all offer great options.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally I've found mysis best, the clown only liking flakes is odd in my experience they are the most enthusiastic eaters so in the meantime I would recommend mysis and feeding flakes till the clownfish is eating mysis

note: I haven't had the opportunity to try more expensive food like reef frenzy

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dido on Reef Frenzy. Has almost everything you would need. Costs around $20 a sheet but goes a long way. A little dime size piece would probably feed all of those fish.

My Black Storms love it...

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab a few raw shrimp, scallop, clams, add some dry stuff you like, put through a grinder, flatten in ziplock bags, throw in your freezer. Your fish will love you. See my thread below for a full recipe with bunch of additional stuff you can consider including in the mix.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mince whole frozen krill as well as all the others listed above.

Chopping clams and scallops is a big favorite as well.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally I've found mysis best, the clown only liking flakes is odd in my experience they are the most enthusiastic eaters so in the meantime I would recommend mysis and feeding flakes till the clownfish is eating mysis

note: I haven't had the opportunity to try more expensive food like reef frenzy

I know!! The saddleback eats EVERYTHING LOL, but the ocellaris eats and spit anything but the flakes, he loves it!! I might try the reef frenzy and see how that goes lol thank you!!

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab a few raw shrimp, scallop, clams, add some dry stuff you like, put through a grinder, flatten in ziplock bags, throw in your freezer. Your fish will love you. See my thread below for a full recipe with bunch of additional stuff you can consider including in the mix.

I will try that, I want them to love me haha. I love having a variety of food, I don’t want them to get bored eating the same thing over and over

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis is great to have, hakari and pe are good brands with clean mysis. LRS is great to but spikes my nutrients to much to use daily.

Yes, make sure to rinse frozen cubes. They are loaded into the pods with a gel that is like a po4 bomb when it melts in ur tank. Rinse with rodi or fresh salt water and get all the crap out before u feed. Or make a slurry of all the foods and freeze them in an ice cube tray.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dido on Reef Frenzy. Has almost everything you would need. Costs around $20 a sheet but goes a long way. A little dime size piece would probably feed all of those fish.

My Black Storms love it...

As long as they all like it and eat it, I wouldn’t mind paying that lol I just want them to eat good, I have noticed that they are growing and gaining weight but the ocellaris seems the same, like it’s not growing so it worries me.

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, make sure to rinse frozen cubes. They are loaded into the pods with a gel that is like a po4 bomb when it melts in ur tank. Rinse with rodi or fresh salt water and get all the crap out before u feed. Or make a slurry of all the foods and freeze them in an ice cube tray.

Oh man, I have not been doing that because it says not rinsing or thawing!! What is po4 ? Lol I feel dumb

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man, I have not been doing that because it says not rinsing or thawing!! What is po4 ? Lol I feel dumb

po4 = phosphate

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

U only can know what u have been taught.

The only dumb question is the one u dont ask. U will learn quickly how much strangers are willing to help strangers in this community. Welcome.

Po4 is phosphates. Another parameter u can go crazy over in this hobby.;)

OP
OP
Eve

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U only can know what u have been taught.

The only dumb question is the one u dont ask. U will learn quickly how much strangers are willing to help strangers in this community. Welcome.

Po4 is phosphates. Another parameter u can go crazy over in this hobby.;)

Just great lol, another thing to worry about haha.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back