Best gyre mode for sps

MBX5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys running at 100% do you have a sand bed? Just got the 250 and in my 1o0g 48L x 24W x 20D I cant even get past 20% any setting without a major storm. I also run two Mp40's even with those off I cant up the Gyre.

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up one today. Going to try it on the back glass. Tank is a 60"×36"×27"
Two mp 40's on the sides now. Sps dominant with a sandbed.

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30% with a gyre in a 75 is not turning off, plus my tank isn't the ocean. No tidal plankton coming in. To each there own though. We have a mixed reef so the LPS get a little break at night from being blasted all day.

This was my thought as well, not turning it off but lower...well, my gyre would be off. I still have one of the older 150's but also run a RW25 opposite the gyre. I was thinking of turning off the gyre at night to give everything a break via my apex but still maintaining the RW25 (set to 100%) to still have flow.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys running at 100% do you have a sand bed? Just got the 250 and in my 1o0g 48L x 24W x 20D I cant even get past 20% any setting without a major storm. I also run two Mp40's even with those off I cant up the Gyre.
No sand bed. Went bare bottom and never looked back. The 250 you have is more powerful than my 3k though. Amazing water movers.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my thought as well, not turning it off but lower...well, my gyre would be off. I still have one of the older 150's but also run a RW25 opposite the gyre. I was thinking of turning off the gyre at night to give everything a break via my apex but still maintaining the RW25 (set to 100%) to still have flow.
Sounds like a solid idea. There's still enough movement to keep the SPS happy but it gives a chance for the LPS to really open up.

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
4 foot tank with sand.. I have them on alternating gyre about 40% and -40%.. had to put two jebaos sw8 on the back glass to generate more turbulence.. It was enough with the gyres but I really love turbulence.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it really depends on your tank AND your aquascape. I have a closed loop system for the back and middle of my 6x3 tank and a maxspect 250 on one end.

On a six footer, if the pulse is to short, or say.. less than about 70%, the flow doesnt get all the way to the other end of the tank.

The random flow in my tank is driven by the interaction of the closed loop (ocean motion 4 way) and the gyre.

I spent a great deal of time during setup testing different modes. I would stir up the sand bed and then watch where the particulates went. I tweaked the gyre flows, CL outlets and lastly rockwork to get everything where i wanted it.

Sure i was excited about all the different random patterns, moonlight schedules, etc etc and a little bummed that what worked best was simple off and on at 90%? power but I am a big fan of just finding what works and then just leaving it.

Probably why i have MH and T5 on my dream tank. Adjustments? huh? you mean on and off? lol.

I will say that the gyre is the best wave maker i have ever experienced. Slim design that blends in nicely and massive power in a small footprint.

Oscar Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two, one 250 and the other 150. I keep mine at OGC. I like that mode however, sometimes when I clean them the program kick in work properly. My 250 will only run at %20 even tho its at 60% and the other on its blasting.

MBX5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you all run the propellers in stock configuration? Just changed to A&A myself.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180g 2 230's and 2 150's

I run LTC on the 230s they are opposed of each other, and the 150s run a variation and are on the back glass mainly for their reverse gyre to keep detritus from settling under my rock work.

Oscar Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, is anyone having the same problems as me? I have mine at %70 but one of my gyre after a few days stops working and only runs at like %10 max!! Anyone else seen this issue?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back