Best gyre mode for sps

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the alternating gyre. Mine only goes 30 percent while the other is -10. The reverse, in my opinion doesn't do much so I don't crank it, that way it hopefully doesn't burn out as fast. I keep it at -10 so it doesn't get gunked up while the opposite pump is running

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 xf250 that I run on LTC with min at 40% and max at 100%. I am currently running them vertically on opposite ends of the tank, and had ran them horizontally previously. With my rockscape, I wasn't super happy with the flow I had with the horizontal mount since I have 4 very tall stacks down the center of the tank that blocked flow when they were in that position. I'm considering trying some other configurations like both on one end but running ltc in opposing propeller directions.

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wonder if we could put BRS's alternating mode on a SD card, i would be interested in this mode for sure.

Same! Icecap modules arent easy to get by in Sweden so im actually debating on getting 4 mp40qd instead just for the purpose of doing the BRS tubulent flow

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two 130's LTC

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the jabao cp40's with AquaLink T1's... but running at 70% for 1 and 80% for 2 on a timed on/off mode. One is on for 8 seconds, then off for 7 i think, while the other is on for 9 and off for 8 or something like that.

This way flow is randomized to an extent and there is an occasional overlap of a few seconds dead time that seems to be working out well so far.

addo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 xf250 that I run on alternating gyre mode. 1 min pump A 70% pump B 0%, then pump B 70% pump A 0%, with 30 seconds of ramp up and ramp down time to create turbulence. I combine this with 2 tunze 6095 that alternates between 100-0% every 8 seconds

Gloryofthereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a maxspect xf-230 on my 65 gallon reef ready glass tank, in vertical position in the nook beside the overflow (positioned about 2 inches from the water surface). I have it set to a custom program similar to the OGC program. (I customized the program so that it doesn't upset the black sand bed.) I have the bales configured A&B. To get random current and some swirls/eddies, I have the sump return pointed to the right (it is teed , one points end up at the surface and the other downward at an angle), opposite the flow from the gyre. All of my aquascape is centered in the tank, so the flow goes across/around it. Since the return line is constant, I get great movement in the water column, as well as on the surface, with only the one gyre. I would love to add a second (less powerful) gyre, but I'm afraid I would have to pull out the sand, and I really like my jawfish and his home building antics.
The tank is a mixed reef with mostly zoos/shrooms and LPS.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following as I just installed (2) 280's.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked up a 230 for my new 93 cube and was planning to run it vertically from the corner overflow with an MP10 on the opposite side for now. Just curious if anyone has tried the same on a cube. Mostly SPS on top but considering adding more LPS on sand and dont want to blow tham away.

ajcanale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Constant, use secondary pumps (e.g. mp60/40/10) for alternating flow.

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had this same discussion with carlos at coralvue (see below)... although we were not talking specifically about sps. i believe he recommended 2 opposing gyres in LTC mode.

Greg K wrote
Is there any benefit to configuring two pumps with both A and B propellers when using either of the preset modes? It looks like OGC uses reverse flow.

8 Answers
file.php

Dec 04 (4 months ago)
Carlos Chacon wrote
It all depends on where you have the pumps located. If you have them in opposite sides of the tank facing each other, then there is no need to have each pump be able to move water in reverse as the pump on the other side will push water in the opposite way. If you only have one pump, then yes, having the same pump run in both forward in reverse will benefit the tank with different flow patterns.

Mar 06 (36 days ago)
qqqqqqq1 wrote
carlos, i don't quite understand your answer to greg's question, was it a no, do nothing (not necessary to configure both pumps separately)?

thanks,

john

file.php

Mar 06 (36 days ago)
Carlos Chacon wrote
Unfortunately there is no clear yes or no answer. The answer is pretty much "it depends" on where you have your pumps installed. Every tank is different so all depends on the individual's configuration.

Mar 06 (36 days ago)
qqqqqqq1 wrote
assume greg (and i) have pumps on exact opposite sides of the tank, lengthwise, and the tanks are empty. can you spitball it?

file.php

Mar 06 (36 days ago)
Carlos Chacon wrote
If you have pumps on opposite sides of the tank, then I think it is a waste to have each pump do both forward and reverse when you can just slow down one end and ramp up the other to push water one way and then to the opposite to push water the other day. A full pump where both sides of the pump push water the same direction is going to be way stronger than two pumps running half force. Does that make sense?

Mar 06 (36 days ago)
qqqqqqq1 wrote
i think you mean do nothing, and the optimum would be to allow the pre-programmed ltc/ogc presets control the 2 pumps, right?

file.php

Mar 07 (35 days ago)
Carlos Chacon wrote
I would use the LTC or create my own schedule. The OGC will run your pump in forward and reverse which is something you do not want when you are running two pumps opposite to each other. My recommendation is to put the two pumps in random mode... no sync or anti sync. Just put each on independent random mode and let them work. you will be amazed of the different flow patters that will come out of it.

Mar 11 (31 days ago)
qqqqqqq1 wrote
big thanks carlos*

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. I have 2 gyres facing each other, whats the setting to put them both on random independent of each other ?

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the X250's in my 4ft tank and use the Lunar Tidal Cycle @ 50%.

Frontosa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. I have 2 gyres facing each other, whats the setting to put them both on random independent of each other ?
the one on left is random so when you set it you want both just doing own thing use that symbol on both sides
20180414_131447.jpg

Redhool7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning from Greece .
I just brought 2 gyre 250 for my (120x50x50)cm mixed reef tank .
I have small acro colonies and some acro frags at the middle and top and some lps and zoa's at the bottom.
I Would like some advices about what is the best mode to choose for my sps!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210211_191452.jpg
    IMG_20210211_191452.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 80
Back