Best Hair Algae Eater?

MangoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R my tank is about 9 months old and I had a really bad hair algae outbreak after i moved the tank about 3-4 months ago. since I have balanced the tank (parameters below). The algae isn't growing or spreading anymore and I just want something to get rid of all of it. I have around 30 dwarf Ceriths, 15 Florida Ceriths, 5 Nerites, 6 Hermits, 2 green emerald crabs, and a lawnmower blenny. But none of them seem to mess with the hair algae too much so I was just looking for some suggestions for a really good hair algae eater.

Parameters:
Alk:9dkh
Ammonia:0ppm
Calcuim: 360ppm (want to raise a little)
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
Phosphate: undetectable
pH:8.2

Dan1788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with hair recently.
I bought a Sailfin and a Cole tang and they are tore it to bits and it's gone.
The Cole tang in particular has done a excellent job.
Other than this Sea Hare is sussposed to be very good but if It dies it leaves a toxic waste that can wipe out a tank.

Dan1788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with hair recently.
I bought a Sailfin and a Cole tang and they are tore it to bits and it's gone.
The Cole tang in particular has done a excellent job.
Other than this Sea Hare is sussposed to be very good but if It dies it leaves a toxic waste that can wipe out a tank.
Tang would be no good in this size of tank.
Vibrant is another good method.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most algae eaters concentrate on the new short growth and leave the long stuff alone. If you can manually siphon it out, that works, or pick it off with a plastic tool and run it through filter media, then remove it that way. Then your crew should take over.

OP
OP
MangoB

MangoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most algae eaters concentrate on the new short growth and leave the long stuff alone. If you can manually siphon it out, that works, or pick it off with a plastic tool and run it through filter media, then remove it that way. Then your crew should take over.
I've thought of this before but there is quite a bit on the back, would removing it harm the tank in any way?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought of this before but there is quite a bit on the back, would removing it harm the tank in any way?
Not if you make sure you actually remove it. You don’t want loads of it decaying in a dead spot anywhere, but a little is of no concern.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Melev's Reef's method of using a cup of freshwater nearby to deposit any algae you rip out so it makes it easy to remove from your fingertips/hands as you work. Then add a pincushion (I have a purple pincushion) urchin and some turbo snails (I have Chestnut ones) which are good about eating and wandering within the rock work, not just the glass. I get the impression that the Cerith snails are better at cleaning the substrate. My purple pincushion is a beast of a lawnmower!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi R2R my tank is about 9 months old and I had a really bad hair algae outbreak after i moved the tank about 3-4 months ago. since I have balanced the tank (parameters below). The algae isn't growing or spreading anymore and I just want something to get rid of all of it. I have around 30 dwarf Ceriths, 15 Florida Ceriths, 5 Nerites, 6 Hermits, 2 green emerald crabs, and a lawnmower blenny. But none of them seem to mess with the hair algae too much so I was just looking for some suggestions for a really good hair algae eater.

Parameters:
Are you by chance using API test kits ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Emerald crabs, Yellow tangs, Turbo snails and lawnmower blennies are the best cleaners with a taste for green hair algae

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This algae eater has great hair.
1611888412003.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Parameters:
Mexican turbo. It is cheap, but it is a very strong snail that can move things that are not anchored. Also, when the algae is gone, the snail will need to be fed. I have first hand experience with 15 snails that are 2 inches in diameter (I feed them) In a 75 gallon tank. Tremendous appetites!

Back