OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The very best for what we can find today without stress? First thing I would take the canopy a part and open the top for ventilation. All my tanks are open. I would get Cozumel fixtures (they are 20" X 20" X 9.5") cause I like to have a glass protection for my halides and would enjoy doing it. Don't take me wrong, I'm a very busy guy, but I plan stuff and get it done if I think it will improve the system. I also would place a fan to cut the heat around those fixtures.
If you don't want to do that way, the Cabo Sun minis will be a great choice (they are open reflectors), as I've said before. You can open some holes on the top of the canopy to get the air out. Just can't go wrong with halides anyway!
If the Cabo Sun mini works the best for you, that's they way to go.
Every one will have their priorities and goals. Just try to enjoy while you're doing it. You won't touch it anymore, besides changing those bulbs.
Well I will say right now, not having halides is not an option. I will have them as long as they aren’t somehow banned or otherwise unavailable.

The back of my canopy is open, and I have a 4 inch box fan on it. But with my basement sump setup, I lose enough heat, that I don’t run the fan in the winter. Probably not the best for gas exchange, but with a 14 foot drop to my basement sump, aeration doesn’t seem to be a problem. I respect the setups like @90's reefer runs, but I’m not a fan of the light spillage, which is why I like having a canopy so that I don’t light up the whole room. Plus, how do you run the VHO’s on an open canopy? I’d be interested to see that done. My VHO bulbs have the internal 180 degree reflectors, but nothing else. So @90's reefer, where did you get that channel that you used to support your lights? I assume it is some kind of anodized aluminum.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The internal VHO reflectors still leave a good amount of light to go in other directions... with just the internal reflectors on the UVL bulbs, a pair of T5s on good reflectors will beat a VHO bulb. With the reflectors, the VHOs and a pair of T5s are nearly identical. Unfortunately, you almost have to make your own anymore out of some polished aluminum.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. reflectors are the best way, of course. I just want to make sure he doesn't have the type with the internal reflectors, in which case wouldn't help adding an external one.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I will say right now, not having halides is not an option. I will have them as long as they aren’t somehow banned or otherwise unavailable.

The back of my canopy is open, and I have a 4 inch box fan on it. But with my basement sump setup, I lose enough heat, that I don’t run the fan in the winter. Probably not the best for gas exchange, but with a 14 foot drop to my basement sump, aeration doesn’t seem to be a problem. I respect the setups like @90's reefer runs, but I’m not a fan of the light spillage, which is why I like having a canopy so that I don’t light up the whole room. Plus, how do you run the VHO’s on an open canopy? I’d be interested to see that done. My VHO bulbs have the internal 180 degree reflectors, but nothing else. So @90's reefer, where did you get that channel that you used to support your lights? It assume it is some kind of anodized aluminum.
We will ban them before they ban halides. LOL!
Open only the top. I have wood around my tanks, not the tops.
Cheers!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It still helps using a external reflector on a VHO bulb with an internal reflector... like 15%, IIRC. A decent amount of light gets through that internal reflector still I tested them in my house. I have some old VHO reflectors, but you can also use/buy 2 bulb T5 reflectors and just bend them a bit and drill new holes for the endcaps.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used "VHOs only" once, a while ago, over a 75gallon system at the University. They were in a canopy with reflectors. Great way to lit the tank! Thanks for the input, jda!

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mh's, and actinic vho's off my icecap ballast, those were the days. Didnt realize that many people were still using these any more except on monster tanks where an led wouldn't have the penetration like a mh

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will ban them before they ban halides. LOL!
Open only the top. I have wood around my tanks, not the tops.
Cheers!
You have me seriously considering that. If I take the top off my canopy, and hang any new halides in that outer “ring” of wood, I might be able to make that work. That would contain the light spill. I’d have to rethink those jumping fish, though.

I still don’t see any reason to run T5 vs VHO, besides availability. But my LFS still carries VHO bulbs for a reasonable price, so I have a source.

I could seriously consider the Cozumel reflectors if they stuck out the top a bit. You guys are giving me expensive ideas!

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The internal VHO reflectors still leave a good amount of light to go in other directions... with just the internal reflectors on the UVL bulbs, a pair of T5s on good reflectors will beat a VHO bulb. With the reflectors, the VHOs and a pair of T5s are nearly identical. Unfortunately, you almost have to make your own anymore out of some polished aluminum.
By the way, @jda, I hope you know, this is all your fault. You sold me that Peng’s Heart of the Ocean frag, so I wanted to make sure I was getting as much light to it as possible. That’s when I started looking at my halide reflectors, noticing how bad they were, and thought about redoing things. I’m also considering turning one of my 175 watt halides into a 250 watt.

This could end up being one of the most expensive frags I ever bought!

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running the Hamilton Cayman Sun pendants with DE - I think they are very similar to the Cabo Sun reflectors. Could not be happier with them.

The spread is perfect on my 24" X 18" tank. One could argue that I get a lot of light spill that could instead be focused narrower with narrower reflectors. But I really like the way my tank looks and the corals are doing great.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spill is kinda "relative" in terms of wasting light out of the tank. Wide spread reflectors will distribute light more evenly. I like them better. I put wood around the top between the fixture and the tank. That wood is painted white inside to reflect "spilled light" back in the tank.
I have 2 X 250Ws + 4 X 54W T5s over my 75 zoanthid tank. Yes, go ahead with those 250W bulbs. Halides only for 4 -5 hours here though. SPS will love those 250Ws!!! Enjoy your VHOs!
Gotta love Acros!!!

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spill is kinda "relative" in terms of wasting light out of the tank. Wide spread reflectors will distribute light more evenly. I like them better. I put wood around the top between the fixture and the tank. That wood is painted white inside to reflect "spilled light" back in the tank.
I have 2 X 250Ws + 4 X 54W T5s over my 75 zoanthid tank. Yes, go ahead with those 250W bulbs. Halides only for 4 -5 hours here though. SPS will love those 250Ws!!! Enjoy your VHOs!
Gotta love Acros!!!

You nailed it. I love the light distribution. Just like when I ran T5's. But brighter!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The back of my canopy is open, and I have a 4 inch box fan on it. But with my basement sump setup, I lose enough heat, that I don’t run the fan in the winter. Probably not the best for gas exchange, but with a 14 foot drop to my basement sump, aeration doesn’t seem to be a problem. I respect the setups like @90's reefer runs, but I’m not a fan of the light spillage, which is why I like having a canopy so that I don’t light up the whole room. Plus, how do you run the VHO’s on an open canopy? I’d be interested to see that done. My VHO bulbs have the internal 180 degree reflectors, but nothing else. So @90's reefer, where did you get that channel that you used to support your lights? It assume it is some kind of anodized aluminum.
My frame is 15 series t slot.
The sides were their from startup as they supported my 8 t5's running 4" off the surface.
Its held together with 4 hole gussets.
This is the same stuff people use to make stands.
Simple to build and very strong and light weight.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gguertin145

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could ditch the VHOs and get 2 reef brites xho that would pack some punch.
I have actually considered that. But for right now, it seems that I’ll be spending enough on just the halide portion, that any decision about changing the VHO would have to wait, especially with the holidays coming up. And since I still have a bulb source, I’ll keep the VHOs for a little while longer.

My bigger concern now is trying to figure out how to accommodate much bigger halide reflectors, to get the most out of my existing bulbs. I have to rethink my canopy. But just with new reflectors, that will probably be a decent shift in PAR, so my corals will have to readjust to that too.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cozumel Sun gives a very wide spread with fewer hot spots. Check out the old thread below.

gguertin145

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I saw melev switched to the Reefbrites but I have a hard time imagining them being "better" then VHO. I have thought about picking 2 up and mounting them alongside the vho as an angle just to see if I get any different colors or to see what it would look like but my experiences with LED have really kept me away from it. IMO LED is only good if you buy and sell within 2 years or you start to lose led's that cannot be replaced in a fixture that then becomes worthless... I will spend the extra money on halides/vho ALL DAY

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back