Best HOB protein skimmer

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dsumpter
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I used both Reef Octopus classic 90 and Reef Octopus HOB-2000. Both worked like a charm for my smaller tanks without a sump. But even after I upgraded to a tank with sump, I kept the HOB-2000 running in the sump for over a year.

You will have to have ATO though. If water level is not consistent, you will have lots of headache tuning any skimmer in.
 
For me it's been a Deltec MCE-400 (they also make a larger 600 version). But that pick of the Reef Octopus HOB skimmate looks pretty solid.
 
Actually, I have one that is made if it overflows, goes right back into the tank. No need for buckets or other stuff. Obviously I rather it not overflow, but at least it won't drain the tank onto your floor. And I have had it over flow, keeping everything dry...I don't use or need it anymore, and could be convinced to sell it for cheap....... :)
 
I can’t recommend the Eshopps PSK-100H enough. It’s an absolute beast. Gets great skimmate almost immediately.
 
sorry all i have used many eshopps psk 75/100's ,tend to overflow after years of use ,not reliable..sorry many meaning 10-12 of them ,all were used,but worked good ,until the day they didn't
 
sorry all i have used many eshopps psk 75/100's ,tend to overflow after years of use ,not reliable..sorry many meaning 10-12 of them ,all were used,but worked good ,until the day they didn't
Well that’s concerning. Can you clarify what you mean by overflow? The cup fills up too fast and spills over?
 
Well that’s concerning. Can you clarify what you mean by overflow? The cup fills up too fast and spills over?

The cup doesnt spill on that one. It just goes into the tank if the cup gets too full.
 
well the cup has a drain ,normally would put in gallon jug,problem i found water level in skimmer would fluctuate too much,go into cup overflow gallon,started using 5 gallon bottles for just this reason ,cannot go that bad or much in a 8 hour period,couple were faithful and held strong ,never no prob, but for most part rest did not...octopus ;) :cool:
 
well the cup has a drain ,normally would put in gallon jug,problem i found water level in skimmer would fluctuate too much,go into cup overflow gallon,started using 5 gallon bottles for just this reason ,cannot go that bad or much in a 8 hour period,couple were faithful and held strong ,never no prob, but for most part rest did not...octopus ;) :cool:
Right, that’s why I was confused. So, you’re saying the water level fluctuates and produces way too much wet skimmate? Have you used the new ones with the Sicce pump?
 
yes, only up to gen 3 early 2019,stopped buying using eshopps entirely ,asm and octopus for me ,too many impeller probs w there snowcones also,will say ,their customer service was very good ,remora are also good hang on's
 
yes, only up to gen 3 early 2019,stopped buying using eshopps entirely ,asm and octopus for me ,too many impeller probs w there snowcones also,will say ,their customer service was very good ,remora are also good hang on's
Interesting. I’m loving mine so far, but I’ll keep eye out for this. Thankfully, it won’t be such a big deal since it’ll just drain back into the tank if it does happen.
 
Interesting. I’m loving mine so far, but I’ll keep eye out for this. Thankfully, it won’t be such a big deal since it’ll just drain back into the tank if it does happen.
gen 3? can you post pic,not picturing drain into tank ,new design? :cool:
 
I agree....AquaMaxx 1.5 HOB works great. I have this on my 25 lagoon since there were limited options when I started the tank.
 
But actually, the better hang on filtration is an algae reactor. Find the largest hang on media reactor you can get and wrap led on it and done. Works better than skimmer for small tank. I ran a 17 gallon LPS tank with only an algae reactor as filtration for several years.
 
But actually, the better hang on filtration is an algae reactor. Find the largest hang on media reactor you can get and wrap led on it and done. Works better than skimmer for small tank. I ran a 17 gallon LPS tank with only an algae reactor as filtration for several years.
I’ve always wondered about algae reactors: don’t they grow algae on the inside acrylic? Like, the same type of algae that grows on the glass of our tanks?
 
I’ve always wondered about algae reactors: don’t they grow algae on the inside acrylic? Like, the same type of algae that grows on the glass of our tanks?

I think you're thinking about algae scrubber, which grow hair algae on screen. Algae reactor grow marco algae, usually chaeto. It's basically a refugium, but in different form.
 
I think you're thinking about algae scrubber, which grow hair algae on screen. Algae reactor grow marco algae, usually chaeto. It's basically a refugium, but in different form.
Nope, I’m thinking of reactors. With lights right on them, don’t they grow algae on the inside acrylic?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new