Best HOB protein skimmer

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used both Reef Octopus classic 90 and Reef Octopus HOB-2000. Both worked like a charm for my smaller tanks without a sump. But even after I upgraded to a tank with sump, I kept the HOB-2000 running in the sump for over a year.

You will have to have ATO though. If water level is not consistent, you will have lots of headache tuning any skimmer in.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's been a Deltec MCE-400 (they also make a larger 600 version). But that pick of the Reef Octopus HOB skimmate looks pretty solid.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I have one that is made if it overflows, goes right back into the tank. No need for buckets or other stuff. Obviously I rather it not overflow, but at least it won't drain the tank onto your floor. And I have had it over flow, keeping everything dry...I don't use or need it anymore, and could be convinced to sell it for cheap....... :)

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t recommend the Eshopps PSK-100H enough. It’s an absolute beast. Gets great skimmate almost immediately.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry all i have used many eshopps psk 75/100's ,tend to overflow after years of use ,not reliable..sorry many meaning 10-12 of them ,all were used,but worked good ,until the day they didn't

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry all i have used many eshopps psk 75/100's ,tend to overflow after years of use ,not reliable..sorry many meaning 10-12 of them ,all were used,but worked good ,until the day they didn't
Well that’s concerning. Can you clarify what you mean by overflow? The cup fills up too fast and spills over?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
well the cup has a drain ,normally would put in gallon jug,problem i found water level in skimmer would fluctuate too much,go into cup overflow gallon,started using 5 gallon bottles for just this reason ,cannot go that bad or much in a 8 hour period,couple were faithful and held strong ,never no prob, but for most part rest did not...octopus ;) :cool:

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the cup has a drain ,normally would put in gallon jug,problem i found water level in skimmer would fluctuate too much,go into cup overflow gallon,started using 5 gallon bottles for just this reason ,cannot go that bad or much in a 8 hour period,couple were faithful and held strong ,never no prob, but for most part rest did not...octopus ;) :cool:
Right, that’s why I was confused. So, you’re saying the water level fluctuates and produces way too much wet skimmate? Have you used the new ones with the Sicce pump?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes, only up to gen 3 early 2019,stopped buying using eshopps entirely ,asm and octopus for me ,too many impeller probs w there snowcones also,will say ,their customer service was very good ,remora are also good hang on's

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, only up to gen 3 early 2019,stopped buying using eshopps entirely ,asm and octopus for me ,too many impeller probs w there snowcones also,will say ,their customer service was very good ,remora are also good hang on's
Interesting. I’m loving mine so far, but I’ll keep eye out for this. Thankfully, it won’t be such a big deal since it’ll just drain back into the tank if it does happen.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting. I’m loving mine so far, but I’ll keep eye out for this. Thankfully, it won’t be such a big deal since it’ll just drain back into the tank if it does happen.
gen 3? can you post pic,not picturing drain into tank ,new design? :cool:

adumb112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree....AquaMaxx 1.5 HOB works great. I have this on my 25 lagoon since there were limited options when I started the tank.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But actually, the better hang on filtration is an algae reactor. Find the largest hang on media reactor you can get and wrap led on it and done. Works better than skimmer for small tank. I ran a 17 gallon LPS tank with only an algae reactor as filtration for several years.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But actually, the better hang on filtration is an algae reactor. Find the largest hang on media reactor you can get and wrap led on it and done. Works better than skimmer for small tank. I ran a 17 gallon LPS tank with only an algae reactor as filtration for several years.
I’ve always wondered about algae reactors: don’t they grow algae on the inside acrylic? Like, the same type of algae that grows on the glass of our tanks?

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wondered about algae reactors: don’t they grow algae on the inside acrylic? Like, the same type of algae that grows on the glass of our tanks?

I think you're thinking about algae scrubber, which grow hair algae on screen. Algae reactor grow marco algae, usually chaeto. It's basically a refugium, but in different form.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're thinking about algae scrubber, which grow hair algae on screen. Algae reactor grow marco algae, usually chaeto. It's basically a refugium, but in different form.
Nope, I’m thinking of reactors. With lights right on them, don’t they grow algae on the inside acrylic?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back