OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went with the Growstar UFO 150w: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07312WKX2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice to save $250+ (Would have still needed to mount the Kessil - just completely insanely prices and paying for a name).
Nice. If you want more flexibility in hanging height and reassurance that your light won't fall, I recommend the 1/8" apollo horticulture ratcheting light hangers. They are about $7 a pair but you actually need 3 so about $14. Totally worth it imo as you can hang the light exactly where you want it and adjust it easily. I use them on my refugium light and vegetable seedling grow light in my garage:

Amazon.com : Apollo Horticulture GLRP18 Pair of 1/8" Adjustable Grow Light Rope Hanger w/ Improved Metal Internal Gears : Pair Of Rope Ratchet : Garden & Outdoor
https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-Adjustable-Improved-Internal/dp/B0098R0600

I drove a screw downwards at about a 30* angle into either side of my center perpendicular support under my tank (it runs front to back) and hung the hangers from those.

Pete1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. If you want more flexibility in hanging height and reassurance that your light won't fall, I recommend the 1/8" apollo horticulture ratcheting light hangers. They are about $7 a pair but you actually need 3 so about $14. Totally worth it imo as you can hang the light exactly where you want it and adjust it easily. I use them on my refugium light and vegetable seedling grow light in my garage:

Amazon.com : Apollo Horticulture GLRP18 Pair of 1/8" Adjustable Grow Light Rope Hanger w/ Improved Metal Internal Gears : Pair Of Rope Ratchet : Garden & Outdoor
https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-Adjustable-Improved-Internal/dp/B0098R0600

I drove a screw downwards at about a 30* angle into either side of my center perpendicular support under my tank (it runs front to back) and hung the hangers from those.

It was me who posted the rating not only on here but on amazon about my light rusting only after a month, I will say this i bought this light after johnny recommended it and its a beast i am growing a basketball size clump of cheato once a week! Only downfall is the light did get some rust on the light, but honestly even if i had to buy a new 42 light every year its well worth it, i used to have a kessil h380 its a great light but def not worth 300 plus, the small amount of surface rust is nothing and hasn’t affected my tank at all , i should of painted the light with a good rust proof paint to prevent that

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got my Growstar UFO 150w in and got it all mounted. All I can say from initial impression is that this thing put out some light. My old PAR38 has nothing on the amount of light this thing puts out. This is how I mounted it.

3136e9e0fc2e03535536375679cefb4b.jpg

I took the 4th hanging string and used it for stability just in case it decides to drop from the hook

c7872877b071bd946473969fcf86b59d.jpg

Bet I’ll get crazy growth with this (even in places where I may not want it). I am fine with that. I’ll add some of my larger turbo snails in the skimmer area to keep it cleaned for me.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What par level is good for growing chaeto?

Just since you did ask about the PAR, with my meter I am getting (at least in my setup) a range of 150-300 PAR (according to my Apogee Quantum Flux). It is LED so it could be more since the Quantum Flux was designed for T5/MH.

Kevinkmk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just since you did ask about the PAR, with my meter I am getting (at least in my setup) a range of 150-300 PAR (according to my Apogee Quantum Flux). It is LED so it could be more since the Quantum Flux was designed for T5/MH.
Thanks. I just got the grow star today. Tested on 5 inch above was getting like 475 par near the top. Now it’s 8 inch above with 350 near the center. I don’t want to blast the chaeto and cause it bleach

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I just got the grow star today. Tested on 5 inch above was getting like 475 par near the top. Now it’s 8 inch above with 350 near the center. I don’t want to blast the chaeto and cause it bleach

Yeah that sounds about right. I just run mine reverse cycle. Don’t think I’ll need to run longer unless I want macro growing out of my fuge.

Pete1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update to my ufo 150 watt fuge light, although it grew cheato like a beast after 6 months it started to smoke and almost caught fire, and broke! I notified amazon who refunded my money and I decided to buy the kessil h380 on amazon for $270 its alot but i owned one before and dont want to burn my house to the grown with this other light!so please be careful with this light

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update to my ufo 150 watt fuge light, although it grew cheato like a beast after 6 months it started to smoke and almost caught fire, and broke! I notified amazon who refunded my money and I decided to buy the kessil h380 on amazon for $270 its alot but i owned one before and dont want to burn my house to the grown with this other light!

What?! Oh no, well that is certainly terrible news. Can you please explain in detail how it unfolded? Also were you the one who modified the fan or had excessive salt creep/moisture?

Glad you averted disaster.

Thanks!

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ufo is about 6 months old and is rusted very badly and I'll be getting a kessil for the new tank. It's just very humid with salt in the air and the cheap metal isn't made to handle the conditions. Mine is also very loud and it's just not a long term solution if it's in an enclosed sump. Water has condensed inside the lens as well, so it's just a matter of time before it dies, so best not to tempt fate after reading this.

Pete1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What?! Oh no, well that is certainly terrible news. Can you please explain in detail how it unfolded? Also were you the one who modified the fan or had excessive salt creep/moisture?

Glad you averted disaster.

Thanks!

Didn’t modify anything! Like other guy who posted it, its not made for salt or moisture conditions, no doubt the light will fail!

Pete1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ufo is about 6 months old and is rusted very badly and I'll be getting a kessil for the new tank. It's just very humid with salt in the air and the cheap metal isn't made to handle the conditions. Mine is also very loud and it's just not a long term solution if it's in an enclosed sump. Water has condensed inside the lens as well, so it's just a matter of time before it dies, so best not to tempt fate after reading this.

Same thing happened to me, it almost caught on fire, just ordered kessil h380

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for much longer with zero rust or condensation. Please show a pic of your sump and how it was mounted. Excessive moisture/salt spray/rust will cause issues with a Kessil as well.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t modify anything! Like other guy who posted it, its not made for salt or moisture conditions, no doubt the light will fail!
Saw your pics on amazon, the light was basically covered in rust and should not have been used in that state, imo. You said after it started smelling like smoke you opened it up and it had been covered in rust on the inside as well. This was your issue. If not careful you will run into it again. I've had mine for longer with zero rust or moisture on the fixture. I suggest mounting any light higher, reducing salt spray and humidity in the stand, and ventilating the stand better.

The Kessil h380 is not made for salt or excessive moisture environments either. They are both horticulture grow lights.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having said that, I'm super paranoid and careful so I just ordered an h380 so that I can hang it higher than the growstar, even though I don't have a moisture issue currently. I just took my growstar apart and after dusting the internals off it looked brand new.

I'd just recommend that anyone using any horticulture light as a refugium light to perform routine checks to make sure it's not being exposed to excessive humidity. Rust/salt creep is not acceptable and the light or conditions must change immediately if you find any. These lights are meant to grow plants in grow medium, not hover 6-12 inches above splashing and or bubbling salt water in a closed box that may or may not be ventilated properly.

Be safe!

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update to my ufo 150 watt fuge light, although it grew cheato like a beast after 6 months it started to smoke and almost caught fire, and broke! I notified amazon who refunded my money and I decided to buy the kessil h380 on amazon for $270 its alot but i owned one before and dont want to burn my house to the grown with this other light!so please be careful with this light
You will like the H380 yeah I hate thwe price but they grow the heck out of Cheato

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back