Best Leds for Chaeto?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to bring to light something that I have discovered over the years with more powerful fuge lighting.

You need a lot of flow through the refugium to grow the most chaeto thus exporting the most PO4 & NO3.

Yes many have advised in the past as slow flow for additional contact time or whatever. I have proven undoubtedly to myself that inorder to maximize the light usage you now have more flow is critical!

Why?
Several reasons however I think most important is CO2. Chaeto can be CO2 limited in a slow flow fuge and retards it’s growth and nutrient consumption.

So if you have a remote fuge or it is fed separately increase the fed rate.

If the fuge is inline with the sump/return pump/other filtration and it is ~10x (gph) the system volume that should be sufficient.

Don’t fear too much flow through chaeto as there are no real drawbacks.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to bring to light something that I have discovered over the years with more powerful fuge lighting.

You need a lot of flow through the refugium to grow the most chaeto thus exporting the most PO4 & NO3.

Yes many have advised in the past as slow flow for additional contact time or whatever. I have proven undoubtedly to myself that inorder to maximize the light usage you now have more flow is critical!

Why?
Several reasons however I think most important is CO2. Chaeto can be CO2 limited in a slow flow fuge and retards it’s growth and nutrient consumption.

So if you have a remote fuge or it is fed separately increase the fed rate.

If the fuge is inline with the sump/return pump/other filtration and it is ~5-10x (gph) the system volume that should be sufficient.

I have a 300g system and feed my fuge via a 1” line coming off my 1.25” return line with Varios-8 pump. I calculate that should give me about 1,000gph. When I upgraded from a 6500K to a real grow light the chaeto improves but when I doubled from through the fuge growth exploded!!! Don’t underestimated the value of flow through chaeto if your goal is best growth and export.

Don’t fear too much flow through chaeto as there are no real drawbacks.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of your fuge?

14” x 10” x 9” water depth

I got the stronger one, I’ll mount it as high as possible to begin and I can kind of point it out the side as well since the fuge is on the outside edge of the sump.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got the stronger one, I’ll mount it as high as possible to begin and I can kind of point it out the side as well since the fuge is on the outside edge of the sump.

Right, chaeto needs to be acclimated to new lighting like corals. Lots of folks don’t know that and get very concerned when some of it starts turning while. Just takes time

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can also use a shorter photoperiod to acclimate. That's what I do. That way I don't have to keep moving the light.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is totally anecdotal...but I started using a 150W UFO grow light that cost $30.00 and my cheato trippled in size in one week.

Not just anecdotal, there is proof that chlorophyll in plants use specific spectrums to photosynthesis. By using a light that provides these spectrums in abundance, more than the average CFL, the rate at which the algae photosynthesis will increase. There is plenty of peer reviewed research on these subjects confirming these spectrums. Grow lights purpose built will achieve a better more vigorous growing chaeto. It’s really not even a debate.

Jeff Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not just anecdotal, there is proof that chlorophyll in plants use specific spectrums to photosynthesis. By using a light that provides these spectrums in abundance, more than the average CFL, the rate at which the algae photosynthesis will increase. There is plenty of peer reviewed research on these subjects confirming these spectrums. Grow lights purpose built will achieve a better more vigorous growing chaeto. It’s really not even a debate.
And it's a pretty pink/purplish color.

Pete1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is totally anecdotal...but I started using a 150W UFO grow light that cost $30.00 and my cheato trippled in size in one week.

I had the same results with my ufo 150 watt light and i do agree , i used to own a kessil h380 its a great light if i find one used i will get it if not i dont mind buying a new ufo every year at 42 ea lol

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
March 3rd

20180303_094051.jpg

The Growstar continues to be an amazing light with excellent growth.

20180303_094031.jpg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree but I think the reason is the same as it is according much light and Corals. You have to transport away all generated oxygen from the microenvironment around the chaeto - otherwise there is a risk for to much free oxygen radicals - and you burn the Chaeto

Sincerely Lasse

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but I think the reason is the same as it is according much light and Corals. You have to transport away all generated oxygen from the microenvironment around the chaeto - otherwise there is a risk for to much free oxygen radicals - and you burn the Chaeto

Sincerely Lasse

Sure

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be on the market for a fuge light. Currently using a PAR38 that I have been using for 4 years and I definitely am not trimming my macro nearly as much as you guys here are mentioning. I run GFO and would rather not have to run it to keep phosphates in check. Definitely do not want to spend $300 on a fuge light for sure (kinda crazy to me :);Vomit).

I have a 19x15 fuge area:
upload_2018-4-11_15-7-24.png

I am reading through this thread and trying to narrow down my options. I looked at the UFO 250W but see that they rust and want to avoid that.

For those that made a change from the PAR38, what did you go with and how did it perform for you?

I do not have any algae issues in my display beside a little cyano (very minimal) but my phosphates are higher than I like. Phosphates are currently at 0.09 (but I am running GFO) and I have about 14 fish in my DT.

My main goal is to NOT have to run GFO ever! I added a Sicce Voyager NANO Stream today to circulate the water in the fuge and had my PAR38 running on a 12 hour reverse light cycle.

Should I just run the PAR38 24/7 and see how that goes or do you recommend something better (that isn't a Kessil H380 - unless that is my only option)?

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might be on the market for a fuge light. Currently using a PAR38 that I have been using for 4 years and I definitely am not trimming my macro nearly as much as you guys here are mentioning. I run GFO and would rather not have to run it to keep phosphates in check. Definitely do not want to spend $300 on a fuge light for sure (kinda crazy to me :);Vomit).

I have a 19x15 fuge area:
upload_2018-4-11_15-7-24.png

I am reading through this thread and trying to narrow down my options. I looked at the UFO 250W but see that they rust and want to avoid that.

For those that made a change from the PAR38, what did you go with and how did it perform for you?

I do not have any algae issues in my display beside a little cyano (very minimal) but my phosphates are higher than I like. Phosphates are currently at 0.09 (but I am running GFO) and I have about 14 fish in my DT.

My main goal is to NOT have to run GFO ever! I added a Sicce Voyager NANO Stream today to circulate the water in the fuge and had my PAR38 running on a 12 hour reverse light cycle.

Should I just run the PAR38 24/7 and see how that goes or do you recommend something better (that isn't a Kessil H380 - unless that is my only option)?
Who said a ufo 250w rusted? Im not familiar with that account but in that person's situation any light would have probably rusted, it's not like they would be automatically more prone to rust than other lights or something.

I have a ufo 150w hung about 8 inches from my sump and it's so beyond dry that i have to dust it occasionally. If you have adequate ventilation in your stand and no crazy splashing / literally rest the light on top of the sump I doubt you'd get rust with most lights.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who said a ufo 250w rusted? Im not familiar with that account but in that person's situation any light would have probably rusted, it's not like they would be automatically more prone to rust than other lights or something.

I have a ufo 150w hung about 8 inches from my sump and it's so beyond dry that i have to dust it occasionally. If you have adequate ventilation in your stand and no crazy splashing / literally rest the light on top of the sump I doubt you'd get rust with most lights.

Just something that I saw on Amazon when looking at reviews. Anyway, how long have you have the light and does it fit the bill?

I have had my PAR38 for 4 years and am looking for something that will give more years of being a workhorse.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just something that I saw on Amazon when looking at reviews. Anyway, how long have you have the light and does it fit the bill?

I have had my PAR38 for 4 years and am looking for something that will give more years of being a workhorse.

Which brand and how many reviews said that, did they have pictures showing its operating environment? What was the overall rating for that ufo? Most people only leave reviews if they have problems btw. These are all things to consider.

It is also important to consider the brand of the ufo, some are much cheaper than others as far as build quality. Growstar and roleadro are the best as far as I can tell and they have long warrantys as well.

I'm not sure how long I've had the light but I created this thread so around there. I switched from a Mars hydro par 38 to the growstar 150w and doubled my growth, at least. I run it for 12 hrs, reverse photoperiod. Couldn't be happier.

The growstar 150w ufo has a very similar spectral composition to the Kessil h380 btw. I too was not in the mood to spend $300 on a fuge light, so this was the best option imo.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which brand and how many reviews said that, did they have pictures showing its operating environment? What was the overall rating for that ufo? Most people only leave reviews if they have problems btw. These are all things to consider.

It is also important to consider the brand of the ufo, some are much cheaper than others as far as build quality. Growstar and roleadro are the best as far as I can tell and they have long warrantys as well.

I'm not sure how long I've had the light but I created this thread so around there. I switched from a Mars hydro par 38 to the growstar 150w and doubled my growth, at least. I run it for 12 hrs, reverse photoperiod. Couldn't be happier.

The growstar 150w ufo has a very similar spectral composition to the Kessil h380 btw. I too was not in the mood to spend $300 on a fuge light, so this was the best option imo.

Maybe it was the Wyzz light that I saw in the thread. I wouldn't put too much weight in it, just definitely do not want something that'll rust on me (not that it would have).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back