Best Nitrate Test Kit?

wickette

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tap water contrains something that interferes with nitrates tests.

Every test strip give the max reading

Red Sea also gives the max reading, directions say wait 9min, the the results are stable for 5min. My just keeps getting darker the entire time.

Salifert also gets darkerbut doesnt max out. I get a color between 10-25ppm at 3 min, between 25 and 50ppm after another 3min

API's liquid nitrate test doesnt keep getting darker but the color is brownish like beer, not yellow-red like on card. Its tough to figure out the result, 10ppm is closest in darkness, but 30ppm is closer to the right shade.

A friend used an electronic tester on my tap water (idk which one but it was about the size of a VHS casette). The tester read 8.22ppm. The my towns reports 4.0ppm nitrates.

zavosan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me Salifert is not easy to read. You can read it in 2 ways and you get totally different results..

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the Red Sea kit is accurate, but I really despise the whole kit, and process of getting an accurate reading from it-> which means I rarely used it. Have used API and it’s super simple but has questionable accuracy. To me it came down to which test I would actually do. I just tried to keep my tank stable, and not chase number to levels I knew made the test more inaccurate, as proven by comparing results with the red sea test. Building a new tank and intend to try out the nyos kit and some others. Any recommendations are welcome.

Gordonm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless i had a crappy salifert kit it was always reading high. I used nyos and a more reliable reading.

F4TALREEFER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Red Sea, Salifert, api, and switched to nyos about a year ago. I've wanted to try others just to try first hand, but don't think I will ever lol.

Personally, I find it easiest to read, most consistent, and probably the quickest.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert is the easiest and one I like.

NYOS works but the colors don’t match well above 12ppm and I hate shaking steps

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me Salifert is not easy to read. You can read it in 2 ways and you get totally different results..

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg

Those two pics look pretty much dead on to me at 10ppm..............maybe slightly more than ten from above, but I've never had an issue reading Salifert's kit till the lowest levels

Under 5.0 I like to use the Red Sea Pro.

The lighting of the room can confuse readings........I like to look at them under white vs yellow light and if you can read it near a window with white lighting it's the easiest.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert is my preferred nowadays. Red Sea I find to be challenging to match the subtle pink differences to their card. I like the 3 minute salifert vs 9 minute for Red Sea. Too. Easy to use the same sample sideways for the low range on the salifert test without needing to re-do the whole test

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back