Best one-time clean up and ongoing control for Bubble Algae?

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am looking for direct specific treatment for "Bubble Algae". This is an ask for knowledge sharing from anyone have personally tried and killed/ eradicated bubble algae in large mixed reef tank with lots fishes.

I understand water parameters is the real-solution. I am looking for treatment and management solutions for Bubble Algae.

Months back, I had Cyano and the Hair Algae - @SamsReef and Reefco (LFS in NJ) suggested using Chemiclean for Cyano and Flux RX for hair algae - the suggestions are 100% spot on and works fully. There may be other options but I use these since they work.

Looking for similar solution for Bubble Algae:
1. one-time clean-up/ wipe out treatment?
2. ongoing control/ management?

Any experience with acanthurus tang (which works best and is hardy?)?
Emerald crab for ongoing is likely not going to work - the crab is too slow to fix a 8 ft tank and I worry crab may hurt my other animals - shrimp/ corals/ small fishes

Also, does anyone with experience with Vibrant vs. Reef HD Reef Flux?

(Reference thread on Reef HD ... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/killing-bubble-algae-with-reef-hd-reef-flux.353069/ would like to understand if is it safe to use 4x doze of an anti-fungal for algae)

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's just me but I would rather have a few emeralds in my tanks than dumping a chemical stew in there that could really cause issues for you in other ways. They worked fine for both of my tanks. I've got maybe a dozen or more scattered in both of my tanks and sumps. I've never seen them touch anything they weren't supposed to. If they have enough to eat why would they? Completely eradicated my bubble algae too.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am looking for direct specific treatment for "Bubble Algae". This is an ask for knowledge sharing from anyone have personally tried and killed/ eradicated bubble algae in large mixed reef tank with lots fishes.

I understand water parameters is the real-solution. I am looking for treatment and management solutions for Bubble Algae.

Months back, I had Cyano and the Hair Algae - @SamsReef and Reefco (LFS in NJ) suggested using Chemiclean for Cyano and Flux RX for hair algae - the suggestions are 100% spot on and works fully. There may be other options but I use these since they work.

Looking for similar solution for Bubble Algae:
1. one-time clean-up/ wipe out treatment?
2. ongoing control/ management?

Any experience with acanthurus tang (which works best and is hardy?)?
Emerald crab for ongoing is likely not going to work - the crab is too slow to fix a 8 ft tank and I worry crab may hurt my other animals - shrimp/ corals/ small fishes

Also, does anyone with experience with Vibrant vs. Reef HD Reef Flux?

(Reference thread on Reef HD ... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/killing-bubble-algae-with-reef-hd-reef-flux.353069/ would like to understand if is it safe to use 4x doze of an anti-fungal for algae)
Naso tangs (6 inches plus) are voracious bubble algae eaters.

Sam

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used algae fix marine. Dosed for three weeks, then scraped would I could. Over the next few weeks, what was left disappeared.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Fox Face will take care of all your bubble algae for sure. Sailfin tangs often eat bubble algae. I have both in my tank and haven’t seen bubble algae in years.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I added 3 emerald crab .. they are working already on the bubble algae .... will keep an eye on their opportunistic behavior.... (hope my Melanerous does hurt the crabs).

Will keep all posted

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I added 3 emerald crab .. they are working already on the bubble algae .... will keep an eye on their opportunistic behavior.... (hope my Melanerous does hurt the crabs).

Will keep all posted
meant - (hope my Melanerous does NOT hurt the crabs)

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 emerald crabs in my 55 gal tank and can’t see much reduction in bubble algae. I hand scrape some of it. Don’t want to do chemical treatment. May try a fox face if I can find a small one. Other than that I just live with it.

Fishhead1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always had good luck w emeralds and Foxface. Probably need 10+ crabs in an 8’ tank. If you see them getting too big might recycle for smaller size. Less likely to cause problems imo.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My one spot foxface and emerald crabs aren’t doing anything to my bubble algae. Been fighting it for several months, spending a couple of hours each weekend scraping and siphoning.

Bluedore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a couple of foxface, I had one in a 100G and a small one in a 40G, whatever bubble algae is visible is gone.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back