Best return pump

ron b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon duel overflow 55 gallon sump, looking for a dc pump... I was wondering about the jaebo dct far as longevity and overall noise... also which series the 12000 or maybe lower? Any input would greatly be appreciated...

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longevity of mine is still running strong I have the dc9000 and the most quiet pump I have ever owned.
I would go the largest as you can ramp down if needed

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 gallon duel overflow 55 gallon sump, looking for a dc pump... I was wondering about the jaebo dct far as longevity and overall noise... also which series the 12000 or maybe lower? Any input would greatly be appreciated...

Remember you're only looking for 250-500 GPH or so of actual flow. (2x to 4x your display volume)

Return flow generally never changes...curious why you want to go DC for this application?

You're right to wonder about longevity – it's too soon to make any general claims. But if longevity is your top concern, you'd best look at a traditional AC pump like Mag, QuietOne and Eheim. (Etc)

Not saying longevity has to be #1 tho! Could be a totally worthy risk depending on your case.

OP
OP
ron b

ron b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 600 gph or so pump now and barely have flow pump is working fine and it did well on my 75 but since upgrade my return nozzles it's very light flow coming out check all tubes and nozzles no blockages also the DC will provide more saving on power usage...

OP
OP
ron b

ron b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 600 gph or so pump now and barely have flow pump is working fine and it did well on my 75 but since upgrade my return nozzles it's very light flow coming out check all tubes and nozzles no blockages also the DC will provide more saving on power usage...

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a jebao dc9000 for years with 0 problems. It's pretty quiet and efficient. It does get a little noisy (the DC whine noise) at full speed but it's barely noticeable unless everything else on your tank is super silent. On my new tank (30g) I purchased the tiny version dc1200. As long as you do routine maintenance it will perform just fine. I do agree with mcarrol, I never used the DC controllability because you never need to change it. On my 30g I can do water changes fairly quickly so the "feed" option comes in handy to stop the pump while I do the change.

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a jebao dc 12000. I like the dc pumps for many reasons. I run my return at a constant flow but have extra power for later when I add in reactors. Also there's a feed mode. And as with most dc pumps, they ramp up when you turn them on.

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the difference between the DCS-9000 and the DCT-8000?? I know obviously gpm is different but I thought the DCS-9000 is the the newest version of and has better head to GPM than the DCT version.

ZJedi945

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the difference between the DCS-9000 and the DCT-8000?? I know obviously gpm is different but I thought the DCS-9000 is the the newest version of and has better head to GPM than the DCT version.
The big I am noticing from the amazon postings for the DCS-9000 and the DCT-8000 is about a 2.3 ft increase in head pressure and roughly a 200 gallon increase in gph flow. Oh and it cost $13 more. For that cost I would go 9ooo. BUT that is just my two cents.

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember you're only looking for 250-500 GPH or so of actual flow. (2x to 4x your display volume)

Return flow generally never changes...curious why you want to go DC for this application?

You're right to wonder about longevity – it's too soon to make any general claims. But if longevity is your top concern, you'd best look at a traditional AC pump like Mag, QuietOne and Eheim. (Etc)

Not saying longevity has to be #1 tho! Could be a totally worthy risk depending on your case.

2-4 x turnover is awfully low I think. I know many people look at 5-10x. I suppose it depends on the size of the sump and what it can handle, and 2-4 x is definitely not wrong. And depending on head pressure/loss (4-6 feet of plumbing, maybe feeding a manifold or UV or reactors) he may need a large pump to meet his return flow wants.

There are many reasons someone would want to go DC. Smaller pump, less power draw/better efficiency, less noise, etc. Adjustable is also a big draw for some people. It allows you to tune the flow to make your overflow silent, or if you find out the 1200GPH you wanted was just too much and you really only want 1000 or 800 or 600, etc.

With AC pumps your only option is ball valves or gate valves, which I can say I've used before on a Mag 12. They work just fine.

cryotek74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some posts talking about a DCS-7000 that was a newer upgrade over the DCT series but cont find any differences. So I ordered both from Amazon(cant be the price of them). I guess I could do some sort of write up on them. Only gonna keep 1 and the other will be sent back.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-4 x turnover is awfully low I think.

There are always exceptions, but you don't design to exceptions.

2x - 4x is about right in most cases.

The other issues aren't issues if you just consider your plumbing and look at a manufacturer's flow curves for their pumps.

Last edited:

Purpule Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 70 x 70 x 65 cm height cube tank with 60 x 60 x 30 cm sump.
I don't know which kind jebao pump is good for me?
I don't want feeding my reactors, uv and etc.
Dct 4000 or Dct 6000?

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am highly against 2x to 4x return. You want trash in your filtration areas as quickly as possible.

I use the dolphin diamond amp master 6250 on my 300 gallon system. 10 year warranty, 3 year replacement, and people have been running them for decades without a hitch. Also you can dial them back to save electricity.

my .02

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Russ265 Didn't we figure out you actually weren't too far away from 4x-5x once head loss was figured in? (I may be blending threads tho...)

4x in my recommendation is actual flow rate - actual flow measured with a container and timer, or estimated using your actual plumbing setup and the manufacturer's flow curve or a head loss calculator - not the pump's rating.

For example, an 1800 GPH rated QuietOne could only be expected to deliver around 1100 GPH or less under real circumstances. A Mag 7 (700 GPH) only around 400GPH.

A Dolphin 6250 could be counted on for no more than 5400 GPH in a similar real world deployment. Maybe no more than 3000 GPH or so if you're bringing water up from a basement, for example. Quite possibly a lot less, depending on the actual plumbing. Along with distance, fittings all lower flow - especially angle fittings.

I have a 70 x 70 x 65 cm height cube tank with 60 x 60 x 30 cm sump.

That's approximately 24" cubed, or about 60 gallons....maybe another 15 gallons in the sump.....probably 75 gallons or so once live rock, etc is accounted for.

75 * 2 = 150 GPH
75 * 4 = 300 GPH

More than 450 GPH of actual flow would be more or less a waste and can even cause problems.

As mentioned already, your plumbing is a significant factor. Height of the return plumbing is the most significant if you aren't doing anything crazy with your return.

Assuming your return is five feet off the ground (1.5 meters) anything from a Mag 3 to a Mag 7 ($70-$90) or a QuietOne 2200 ($60) would work...just for reference. These are all quiet and bulletproof - I'm not sold on DC pumps for return.

For Jebao, my guess is that a 2000 ($63) or 4000 ($75) should be adequate, but I can't find a published performance curve for them...if you can find one, use it rather than guessing. :)

Last edited:

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Russ265 Didn't we figure out you actually weren't too far away from 4x-5x once head loss was figured in? (I may be blending threads tho...)

4x in my recommendation is actual flow rate - actual flow measured with a container and timer, or estimated using your actual plumbing setup and the manufacturer's flow curve or a head loss calculator - not the pump's rating.

For example, an 1800 GPH rated QuietOne could only be expected to deliver around 1100 GPH or less under real circumstances. A Mag 7 (700 GPH) only around 400GPH.

A Dolphin 6250 could be counted on for no more than 5400 GPH in a similar real world deployment. Maybe no more than 3000 GPH or so if you're bringing water up from a basement, for example. Quite possibly a lot less, depending on the actual plumbing. Along with distance, fittings all lower flow - especially angle fittings.

That's approximately 24" cubed, or about 60 gallons....maybe another 15 gallons in the sump.....probably 75 gallons or so once live rock, etc is accounted for.

75 * 2 = 150 GPH
75 * 4 = 300 GPH

More than 450 GPH of actual flow would be more or less a waste and can even cause problems.

As mentioned already, your plumbing is significant. Height of the return plumbing is the most significant if you aren't doing anything crazy with your return.

Assuming your return is five feet off the ground (1.5 meters) anything from a Mag 3 to a Mag 7 ($70-$90) or a QuietOne 2200 ($60) would work...just for reference. These are all quiet and bulletproof - I'm not sold on DC pumps for return.

For Jebao, my guess is that a 2000 ($63) or 4000 ($75) should be adequate, but I can't find a published performance curve for them...if you can find one, use it rather than guessing. :)

my pump isnt the bottleneck.

my 1.5 inch durso returns are. I can overflow my tank and i have a manifold on it.

would be easier to calculate that way. iirc 1' returns are 900 gph

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GPHpipe.png

so almost 3000 gph or 10x return flow. thats with my pump dialed back 50%

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my pump isnt the bottleneck.

my 1.5 inch durso returns are. I can overflow my tank and i have a manifold on it.

Good example! Everything counts, plumbing-wise...even the drains. :)

Can't remember if you're doing a basement return, but it sounds like a smaller Ampmaster like the 3500 or 4750 might even work for you, eh?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am really loving my EcoTech Marine Vectra.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back