Best return pump

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vectra hsnt proven itself to run for decades without a hitch. glad you all are testing it for us.

vectra was released in 2015?
yeah... it has a long road to go before i trust it.

just my view on it.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run external pumps and have used iwaki md30rxt's for going on 5 years with zero issues. Larger than that comes with a fan which introduces more noise. These are of course AC pumps and not silent. I tried a jebao pump for a while and it locked up. I took it apart and cleaned it which fixed it, then the return hose came off, shooting water everywhere. For me, the jebao pumps don't have a great way to hold the hose unless you don't use the provided adapter and hard-plumb the pump. After that, I put my iwaki back on and it's been running ever since. My spare iwaki sits in the closet and has never been used in 4 years.

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
If running two pumps in parallel, be sure to put check valves on the outputs. If ones fails, it will start back siphoning to the sump practically offsetting the output of the 2nd pump that is still running.
I'm running two pumps in line, vs. in parallel. One pump feeds into the second. This was recommended by Ecotech, to assist with head pressure (sump in basement) and easier plumbing, no check valves needed. I'm using two Vectra M2s, pump is solid but I have lost a power adapter. I had them stacked on top of each other, think they got hot.

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I'm running two pumps in line, vs. in parallel. One pump feeds into the second. This was recommended by Ecotech, to assist with head pressure (sump in basement) and easier plumbing, no check valves needed. I'm using two Vectra M2s, pump is solid but I have lost a power adapter. I had them stacked on top of each other, think they got hot.

We had a used pumps/parts bin at the store I used to work at.

We had a customer come in and buy enough used 100GPH-200GPH pumps to do a basement sump return like this. (For a nano.) :D

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. How much head pressure are you pushing against?
I calculated 15.6 feet of head pressure. 10 vertical feet and 14 horizontal feet. Found an article that said to calculate .25 to .4 head pressure per horizontal foot. 14 X .4 = 5.6 then add 10, so 15.6.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it, but I like the head loss calculator on rc.....any others like that someone can link?

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone needs to start making a 0-10 psi pressure gauge we can install right after the pump outlet. That will tell you exactly how much head pressure you are creating.

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vectra hsnt proven itself to run for decades without a hitch. glad you all are testing it for us.

vectra was released in 2015?
yeah... it has a long road to go before i trust it.

just my view on it.
I don't think the actual pumps are new, I think Ecotech used design and pumps from Deepwater Aquatics BLDC line of pumps. They are oddly very similar, so I would say the pumps have been around longer than you realize.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only the housings are the same. They produce their own windings. In fact, I think the Ecotech operates at a higher voltage.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah. til i hear someone operating their tanks for 20 years with one, im not on the "this is best" bandwagon.
dolphins, little giants, maybe an iwaki.

but definitely not a jebao or ecotech. jebaos look pretty good so far, (unlike the reeflo) but i want to see at least a decade under it's belt.

i love jebao and ecotech too. There is just no possible way you can say they are the "best" and have no history behind them.

my dolphin pump will probably outlive all your pumps combined. it is that proven...
10 year warranty no questions asked and lifetime warranty on service throw the gauntlet at all these other pumps...

http://www.dolphinpumps.com/#!about/c15v1

ecotech has a 1 year warranty? nah. def not "best"

Last edited:

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah. til i hear someone operating their tanks for 20 years with one, im not on the "this is best" bandwagon.
dolphins, little giants, maybe an iwaki.

but definitely not a jebao or ecotech. jebaos look pretty good so far, (unlike the reeflo) but i want to see at least a decade under it's belt.

i love jebao and ecotech too. There is just no possible way you can say they are the "best" and have no history behind them.

my dolphin pump will probably outlive all your pumps combined. it is that proven...
10 year warranty no questions asked and lifetime warranty on service throw the gauntlet at all these other pumps...

http://www.dolphinpumps.com/#!about/c15v1

ecotech has a 1 year warranty? nah. def not "best"
They look like AC pumps, are they AC or DC?

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ac direct drive.
pretty sure your livestock doesnt care as long as it is moving.

dc pumps are relatively new.
Well, the original person asked for DC pumps. That's why everyone is talking about DC pumps specifically. I do like the power savings I get from DC pumps.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the original person asked for DC pumps. That's why everyone is talking about DC pumps specifically. I do like the power savings I get from DC pumps.

lol why? watts are watts. ac or dc.

if you want to turn it down use a dimmer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newbeem-Sma...573685?hash=item2a5cbddef5:g:SEgAAOSwf-VWWQ8U

theres a fancy one you can control remotely or on your phone if you do that kind of thing.

55 watts and you can have a 3500 gph dolphin pump

80 watts and you get ecotech vectra 2000 gph.

no. dc doesnt save power. this is the "heart" of your tank you are trying to save $$$ on. not exactly where i would skimp on "reliability"

however, ill bite. id get a jebao as they have a pretty good track record.

Last edited:

SteadyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol why? watts are watts. ac or dc.

if you want to turn it down use a dimmer.
55 watts and you can have a 3500 gph dolphin pump

80 watts and you get ecotech vectra 2000 gph.

no. dc doesnt save power. this is the "heart" of your tank you are trying to save $$$ on power with. not exactly where i would skimp on "reliability"

however, ill bite. id get a jebao as they have a pretty good track record.
DC doesn't save power? Sure does. Here is my comparison. I ran an Iwaki MD-70, 1536 GPH, 336 watts. I'm now running 2 Vectra M1's, 2000 GPH each, 80 watts each. Seems I get more GPH for a LOT less watts. I am saving power over the AC Iwaki I was running.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DC doesn't save power? Sure does. Here is my comparison. I ran an Iwaki MD-70, 1536 GPH, 336 watts. I'm now running 2 Vectra M1's, 2000 GPH each, 80 watts each. Seems I get more GPH for a LOT less watts. I am saving power over the AC Iwaki I was running.

that had to do more with a poor choice of pump.

to test this idea:
i found an amp master 3900. (i didnt know they had one) and found the specs.

3900_graph_sm.jpg

at 1.4 amps x 110 volts is 154 watts. close to the vectras but still runs ac.

ill see how they compare via performance

d996ed_702dae7bdc9c4d70a2e3e75984c79d41.jpg

so at 5.5ft head pressure we get 60 gpm or 3600 gph

vectra m1

Screen-Shot-2016-04-16-at-12.19.03-PM.png

ill just give in and say it is 1600 gph x 2 @ 5ft which is 3200 gph.

a tip of the hat goes to the max head height of 20ft vs a dolphin one (13 ft). unless you are running it from your basement, i doubt itll matter.

impressive pump. ill say that. lets just hope they last or dont lose flow like their mp40s. i still think they have a bit of proving to do.

(edited to be more constructive)

also how quiet are the vectras? decibel level means a lot to us in the hobby. im assuming pretty quiet.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%

Back