Best Salinity Measuring device

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking to upgrade from a refractometer to something a bit easier to read. Is the new hanna salinity meter the way to go or is pinpoint still gold standard hobby grade device?
milwaukee and icecap seem to have lots of concerns so not considering those at the moment.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. That is odd that you have trouble reading the refractometer. What brand do you have? I find mine very easy to read, accurate and simple even for my 52-year-old eyes.

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure what brand it is. Think I got it from amazon about 7 years ago. I can read but find it needs to be calibrated very often and hard to get consistency.
If I am going to invest in a new device thinking might as well get something digital.

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are pro/cons of the Hanna new probe salinity meter vs the hanna (or milwaukee) digital refractometers? Obviously different tech but is one inherently "better" than the other?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, not to make an expensive hobby even more expensive, but it’s good to have multiple devices employing different methods to measure salinity, the most important parameter of our water. Your conductivity probe may drift its calibration and you double check with the digital refractometer, and vice-versa. One measurement is questionable, and you use the other to verify. Plus, can’t overstate the importance of having calibration standards on hand and availing yourself of them occasionally. The only major difference between Hanna and icecap is Hanna can be calibrated with a reference solution while the icecap cannot.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the pinpoint and would recommend it. It comes with a standard and all you have to do is turn a screw in the back with the probe in the standard to calibrate it.
I put the standard a in a clean juice glass and then pour it back into the bottle to use again.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the pinpoint and would recommend it. It comes with a standard and all you have to do is turn a screw in the back with the probe in the standard to calibrate it.
I put the standard a in a clean juice glass and then pour it back into the bottle to use again.

I agree, I love my pinpoint and use it daily (I leave the probe in the sump and turn it on briefly). But I still have the icecap and Milwaukee just in case. The pinpoint gives a much finer read of your salinity, instead of 1.025 or 1.026, you get fractions between that.

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 15 months my point of sale BRS refractometer kept going out of calibration constantly.

I bought a used VeeGee STX 3 from a member here and this thing is very nice. I calibrated it once and its STAYS calibrated. Its so much easier to read than the BRS unit too.

Last edited:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I love my pinpoint and use it daily (I leave the probe in the sump and turn it on briefly). But I still have the icecap and Milwaukee just in case. The pinpoint gives a much finer read of your salinity, instead of 1.025 or 1.026, you get fractions between that.

I rarley check my tanks salinity. I check what goes in it. Once in the tank there is no reason for it to change unless the tank volume changes and I can see that without a device.

WickedCZ4A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a refractometer. Get the VeeGee if you can afford it. Easiest and fastest. Quality is important. If your meter stays calibrated that will save you a ton of time and headache. The cheap ones will lose calibration and you'll have to recalibrate every time you use it.

I also own a Milwaukee digital meter but I prefer the handheld.
Whatever you decide to use, make sure you get a proper calibration standard instead of zeroing your meter with RODI.
Also it's nice to have two reliable ways to check your salinity. Sometimes you'll run into issues with your tank and you might second guess your reading.
Then you could either use your check standard to make sure your instrument is calibrated, and/or grab the backup and take a second reading to verify.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re right. I guess I do it cause I’ve got a AWC and I’m always paranoid of something weird happening. A drain line siphon or something like that...

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used several different types and brands over the years, including Milwaukee, Pin Point. I really liked the VeeGee STX 3 until I dropped it and scattered the prism. I never had to recalibrate it, it was always spot on when I tested it. Having said that, I now own a Misco PA202. I LOVE this refractometer! Yes, it is very expensive at around $450. One of my favorite tools for this hobby.

Edit: I you spend this kind money on the Misco, make sure you get the ARMOR JACKET to go with it. Yu want to protect that baby!

Edit: should be Model PA202x

Last edited:

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used several different types and brands over the years, including Milwaukee, Pin Point. I really liked the VeeGee STX 3 until I dropped it and scattered the prism. I never had to recalibrate it, it was always spot on when I tested it. Having said that, I now own a Misco PA202. I LOVE this refractometer! Yes, it is very expensive at around $450. One of my favorite tools for this hobby.

Edit: I you spend this kind money on the Misco, make sure you get the ARMOR JACKET to go with it. Yu want to protect that baby!

Wow that is a pricey (and fancy) refractometer. Is there a reason why you went with the 202 vs the 201? Seems like the brix measurements are better, but is the refractometer portion the same? Do you use it for brix too?

Edit: I’m not sure if they are the same. Their website gives specifications for the refractometer portion on the 202 but not the 201.

Last edited:

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone like the Hanna meter.

I have the Hanna HI96822 and so far I have been happy with it. I would like for the refractometer to go out one more decimal point, for example instead of 35ppt the read could read 35.2 or 34.5 to get a more accurate reading on a digital product

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back