Best Salinity Measuring device

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn you for showing me something else that’s better than what I have. Must resist...but it is tempting.

Well, the OP did ask for the "Best" :) It is very accurate and super easy to use. Calibrate once and done. I check it once a year, but it has not needed recalibrating. Just push button to turn on, put in sample, close lid and push "Go" button. It is accurate to .0005 and goes out to 4 decimal points!

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, the OP did ask for the "Best" :) It is very accurate and super easy to use. Calibrate once and done. I check it once a year, but it has not needed recalibrating. Just push button to turn on, put in sample, close lid and push "Go" button. It is accurate to .0005 and goes out to 4 decimal points!
I did say best but was thinking under $200, this thing does look interesting.
I leaning towards a hanna handheld and then a vee gee (need to figure out which model), one conductivity and refract, figure this way I have two methods to cross check against.

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
having second thoughts, is the pin point better than the hanna hand held?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pinpoint will give you better data than the Hanna. It is not packaged as nicely, and the readout isn’t as clean, and it may not be as convenient. But I would rather have the pinpoint personally if I were picking between the two.

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. Can the pinpoint be used to spot check salinity or is it meant for the prove to always be wet?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’s meant to always be wet.

You can spot check. But it’s a bigger probe, not like the ice cap or Hanna.

thermoJoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a Hach Sension5 conductivity meter that I picked up used on eBay many years ago. It works great and is rock solid.

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarley check my tanks salinity. I check what goes in it. Once in the tank there is no reason for it to change unless the tank volume changes and I can see that without a device.

Well that may be true in your tank, but I should have thought that most people will either use a skimmer, dose two-part, or do water changes?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that may be true in your tank, but I should have thought that most people will either use a skimmer, dose two-part, or do water changes?
I don't dose. My skimmer has a tiny affect on salinity. I check it every month or two. Why would a water change affect salinity unless I want it to?

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hanna salinity meter. It's good. I usually just use a refractometer but, will use the meter to validate measurements.

Mag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone in my opinion I got tired of the refractometers always calibrating it and most of the time it’s not accurate!.. So I had to go to digital and got the icecap one.. it works great and has a temperature probe that comes in handy. Love it and noticed some good growth in my tank with more accurate salt readings!!

hussain427

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using RHINO Sea Water Rrefractometer DR202 , easy to use and I’m very happy with it

Jamie Allbritton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the hanna salinity and temperature checker and it is spot on with my refractometer and my temperature controller. It's easy to use and very convenient.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used several different refractometers with varying degrees of confidence and accuracy. The Pinpoint meter I now use, and have used for several years, is very accurate and extremely reliable. I'll never go back to a refractometer.

Reef-Tank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry my bad, it is the PA202X model, which is the Seawater Refractometer - Seawater Scales - Specific Gravity & Salinity - MISCO AQUAR-H2O Refractometer.https://www.misco.com/digital-handh...actometer-specific-gravity-salinity-aquar-h2o
Interesting looking to buy this. I currently have 3 checker. Hanna HI96822, Hanna HI98319, IceCap salinity, and Apex wifi but one thing i keep worry is my Apex recently jump like a Horse, sometime 24.6, 26.7, 40.9 or 37.8 ect... is just randomly jumped the numbers in few hours even i calibrated it went through 4x bags already with Apex solution calibrate still not reading right.

zer0salinity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the most important with the digital meters is to make sure you buy some calibration fluid to dial your device to every 4 months or so.

Back