14   0   0
Really liking the icecap digital tester

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone like the Hanna meter.

I have the Milwaukee digital, the BRS Refractometer, and the Hanna. I really like the Hanna - seems very accurate and goes out to a decimal place further than the Milwaukee. I want to know if the water is 1.025x and not just 1.025 The BRS Refractometer is the best hand held Refractometer that I have used (have tried several), but really like the digital read-out of the Hanna.

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m glad to see this really can be as complicated as I thought. Unlike some other things that needed to be tested for in a reef tank this seems like an area with no clear consensus.
Probably fair to say most people have at least a analog refractometer with no clear winner and once we get into something digital opinions are all over the place.

bugiguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Hanna Salinity checker works great. Calibrated once and it seems to hold pretty well over time, though periotic calibration is necessary.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, not to make an expensive hobby even more expensive, but it’s good to have multiple devices employing different methods to measure salinity, the most important parameter of our water. Your conductivity probe may drift its calibration and you double check with the digital refractometer, and vice-versa. One measurement is questionable, and you use the other to verify. Plus, can’t overstate the importance of having calibration standards on hand and availing yourself of them occasionally. The only major difference between Hanna and icecap is Hanna can be calibrated with a reference solution while the icecap cannot.

The icecap can be calibrated using conductivity solution.
There is a procedure online or if you contact coralvue.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Hanna the handheld or the digital refractormeter?
The tester is the handheld one, seems to be a great unit especially for the price. I'm going to get one after reading through this, was set on getting the milwaukee but now feel it's good enough to save money and do the same consistent measuring.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The great value of the pinpoint is its ability to read continuously hands free. Drop the probe in, turn it on and set it somewhere. Do what you have to do while you watch the change.

OP
OP
N

nycfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The great value of the pinpoint is its ability to read continuously hands free. Drop the probe in, turn it on and set it somewhere. Do what you have to do while you watch the change.
That's a great point! would be helpful when mixing water to make final tweaks. This might be the "killer feature" for me as I was all set to go with hanna hand held before you made this point.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used all of them for the hobby. Refractometer, milwalkee digital, swing arms, pinpoint conductivity, and now a floating tropic marin hydrometer and thermometer. I use that and like it better than all of them.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back