Best Saltwater Aquarium Heater? You choose!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used many different brands of heaters in the 50 years I have been keeping fish. In my opinion none of them are very reliable and should ALWAYS be run in a controller of some sort! Most use a set of points like cars did 30+ years ago. There is a reason cars stoped ising them long ago. Every time the heater turns on or off, the points burn a little. As they burn the point they open and close varies.
Even when working properly the built in controllers are very inconsistent due to this. Assuming you have the temp set at 76 in the heater, they typically will turn on and off in a range around that. Ont time it will turn off at 74 and another it might not turn off until 78 or higher. Just puting the on a controller will keep your temperature more consistent and the heater will last longer.
Sadly the electronic heaters I have tried failed early in their life.

Et817

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim Jager for larger tank.
Cobalt aquatics neo-therm smaller tank.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Neo Therm 200w and no issues but double checking with the supplier to make sure it's not one from 2013 since those have been recalled per Cobalt..

brandolphjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finnex controller w/800w titanium heater, also installing jbj controller w/titanium heater for backup...

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqueon Pro 150W for my 40B has not changed .1 degree since I put it in. 2 months ago. 78.7F since day 1.
Titanium✔
Shatter proof✔
100% consistent✔
Not an eyesore and blends into black painted tank✔
Cheap, but not cheaply made ✔
When 4 T5s are on. No fluctuations✔
Green and red light is not a blinding LED✔
Submergible✔

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm really loving these new Finnex Titanium heaters I purchased for my 400g.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eheim Jager 300Watt has been on my current tank for 4 years without issue. I was considering another brand (Finnex) but why fix it if it ain't broke?

I ordered 2 X 150Watt Eheim jager for my 2nd tank.

John Lohsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RULE 1: You must use a temperature controller, regardless of the brand of heater.

RULE 2: Use two heaters in your tank. This way, when one craps out (and it will) the other will maintain temperature, or at least close to temperature.

NOW, as far as choice of heaters:

I believe Ehiem Jager’s are the best. The glass on these things is real thick. The only problem is that they are long.

If you can’t fit a Jager, my second choice is Sera.
I always thought the ehiem Hagee were the best also. But recently had a heater fail and replaced it with a 300 watt ehiem hacer and it wouldn't keep my 40 breeder at 78 by itself. I also agree about the heater being on a controler. I have the reefkeeper life and love it.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought the ehiem Hagee were the best also. But recently had a heater fail and replaced it with a 300 watt ehiem hacer and it wouldn't keep my 40 breeder at 78 by itself. I also agree about the heater being on a controler. I have the reefkeeper life and love it.
Try the Aqueon Pro 150w for a 40B. Mine is still rock solid at 78.7F for 3 months.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use the red calibration ring? They always have to be adjusted. So whatever your thermometer was reading is what you set the red ring at and then adjust the temp dial accordingly.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Finnex with the digtal display and can't keep temp even when it's over sized for my tank. Now it just for heating new saltwater.

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one of these units for years 1500Watts and never had it fail.
AquaLogic HTI Series Titanium Inline Heater

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in this hobby for over 25 years so I have have been through my share of heaters...I have two 150 Cobalt NeoTherm and they work awesome. I HAVE Them both connected to my Apex!
There was an issue with them leaking but those were all recalled and the new ones are good to go.

Sumppix#3.jpg

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 300 watt via aqua titanium heaters (analog version) on my 210. One is the main, one is a backup set 2 degrees below the main. The dials are terribly inaccurate but once they are set, who cares what number the dial is set to? I've had them for 4+ years without issue. The tank is set to 79 degrees. If it hits 81, the Apex shuts it off. If it hits 78 degrees, the apex send me an alert and the backup will kick in. Then I can check the main heater.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 17.7%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back