Best Saltwater Aquarium Heater? You choose!

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running eheim jagers(2 smaller instead of one larger one) set for 81 degrees and controlled by my apex jr to provide a temp of 79 degrees.

The tank I'm currently setting up is going another direction. I'm using a standalone temp controller(similar to ranco) to control 2 300W titantium finnex(sump was too shallow for a jager). It's not running yet so I can't say how happy I'll be at this point.

noquarter64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Neo Therm 200w and no issues but double checking with the supplier to make sure it's not one from 2013 since those have been recalled per Cobalt..
I'm just getting started. I plan on going with Neo Therm. Any idea how many heaters and what wattage I will need for a 120gal with a 30gal sump?

sublime250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jbj titanium heater with digital controller is good in theory.

But I've replaced 75% of the units I've installed for clients due to failure of the heating element or controller.

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just getting started. I plan on going with Neo Therm. Any idea how many heaters and what wattage I will need for a 120gal with a 30gal sump?
You may go with 2 200W Neo therm. the reason for 2 is redundancy.

Carlos Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Via Aqua Titanium, I have had nothing but problems with glass heaters, Eheim and VisiTherm included. The Titaniums come with a seperate controller and temp sensor and are extremely accurate.
Titaniums have my vote as well. I like the separate controller and temp sensor and always replace them after a couple seasons of use.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Titaniums have my vote as well. I like the separate controller and temp sensor and always replace them after a couple seasons of use.
you replace the whole heater? Is that for the sensor or just cautious? I plan on using a controller for my temp control but I found this comment interesting. Do temp probes fail often for you?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you replace the whole heater? Is that for the sensor or just cautious? I plan on using a controller for my temp control but I found this comment interesting. Do temp probes fail often for you?
The components aren't replaceable separately. There are 3 pigtails coming off the controller. One is the plug, one is the heater, and one is the temp sensor. You don't necessarily need to put the sensor and heater near each other.

I lay mine flat in the sump and I don't have to worry about breaking one if I bump it. I let the thermostat in the heater do it's thing but I use the Apex to shut the outlet down if it malfunctions and gets too hot

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a neo therm for basically the brunt of my nano/pico days--works by far better than anything else in that price range IME.

ReeferSurf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a total of 90 Gal, 70G display.

Using two eheim 200watt heaters, what is the recommended watt per a gallon for reef these days? Its winter here so about 3 degrees in the night to 17 degrees Celsius daytime.

My Apex is reporting about an hr to get temps from 25.5 to 26. Daytime it takes 30mins.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote went to the titanium units. I went with two 200 watt Finnex controlled by the apex.

MT_is_a_Pisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you run two heaters on a ReefKeeper or Apex? I plan on running 150W Eheim truetemp and 300w Finnex titanium for a 90G DT and 20G su.p

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.0%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 36 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 38 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 107 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.4%
Back