Best Saltwater Aquarium Heater? You choose!

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by revhtree, Dec 3, 2012.

1. JBKReef

JBKReef Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Yeah I have the deviation set to 1 degree as well, I have two heaters plugged into the Ink Bird a 150Watt Eheim Jager and a 500Watt Titanium Finnex both are individually rated for over 100 gallons.

Thanks for the info!

2. Bouncingsoul39

Bouncingsoul39 Well-Known Member

A 150w heater will not heat a 100 gallon tank efficiently or at all depending on the ambient room temp. Eheims ratings are funky and too low IME. We always run heaters at 3-5 watts per 5 gallons so even on the low end it would be 300w. The 500w is an appropriate size. I would try a couple experiments, one, unplug your inkbird and plug it back in after 10 seconds. Next, I'd try to run only the 500w for 48 hours and see what happens. Also, calibrate the inkbird to a thermometer making sure it's the same temp reading.

3. Joseph Wright

Joseph Wright Member R2R Supporter

Have had many problems with ehiem Jager. I’d never use them again. You should never have to calibrate any heater in my opinion. Learned the hard way these heaters are junk. Cost me my whole tank. Except for zoas and four fish(the inexpensive ones) . Never use them again.

4. JBKReef

JBKReef Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Thanks I'll play around with it some. I have used three thermometers (Apex Temp Probe, cheap digital tank thermometer, kitchen thermometer) outside of the ink bird probe and they all were within .5 degrees of each other so I'm confident its accurate enough.

I will run the finnex through the inkbird alone and and see if the variance closes.

Thanks!

5. [Cameron]

[Cameron] Active Member

Eheim Jager. Every inexpensive heater with its own thermometer has a large variance in their accuracy. Most get lucky if theirs is "dead on balls" accurate. The Jager addresses this issue by allowing users to dial it in.

Heaters and controllers fail. It is only a matter of time before a probe goes kaput, a controller board malfunctions or a heaters coil fails. It might be 1 month or 10 years but it eventually happens.

We ran two that were 2w per gallon each, one set to 78 the other to 77 after being dialed in. Those were both put on their own Ink bird temperature controller set to 80 that is also dialed in (silicone the probes first). Prior to this setup we used an aquarium controller as a backup to the heaters thermostat. Unfortunately a Neptune controller failed to startup properly post power outage on a fellow reefer and his heaters never powered up. After that we started using two "dumb" temp controllers on two heaters. Cheap, effective and nearly foolproof.

6. Scottsquatch

Scottsquatch Glad to be back! R2R Supporter

Your being sarcastic I hope...

7. 427HISS

427HISS Valuable Member

I haven't heard of them before. How long have you used their products ?
    Likes, dis-likes ?

8. saf1

saf1 Active Member

I was looking at these heaters actually but they are limited in their range so wasn't sure how many I would need for my 240 gallon. Of course that wouldn't be the total water volume so maybe a pair of their 200 Watts would be fine. They look good although I caught their note for Apex users using plug 4 or 8. I'll have to read instructions and see what those ports are and why special.

9. Furbabeez

Furbabeez Member

What about Penn Plax Aquarium Heater?

Draft saved Draft deleted