BEST SKIMMER BRAND: Who get's your vote?

Who do you think makes the best protein skimmers?

• Aquamaxx

Votes: 56 4.7%
  • Bubble Magus

Votes: 82 6.8%
  • Eshopps

Votes: 36 3.0%
  • Hydor

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Icecap

Votes: 5 0.4%
  • Innovative Marine

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Maxspect

Votes: 12 1.0%
  • Nyos

Votes: 88 7.3%
  • Red Sea

Votes: 58 4.8%
  • Reef Octopus

Votes: 411 34.2%
  • Royal Exclusiv

Votes: 116 9.7%
  • Simplicity

Votes: 28 2.3%
  • Skimz

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • Somatic

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Tunze

Votes: 53 4.4%
  • Deltec

Votes: 69 5.7%
  • Lifereef

Votes: 74 6.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 81 6.7%

• Total voters

Alberta79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since Reef Octopus is the clear winner right now, tell me your recommendations for a 525xl with a medium/heavy bioload. Been looking at the classic series but would trade up if someone could explain the benefits to me!
I Just started the cycle on my bare bottom sps 525xl. I will be going with the nyos 160.

DeeFromBrooklyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's talk protein skimmers today and put it to a vote!

1. What brand skimmer are you running on your saltwater reef aquarium?

2. Are you happy with your current skimmer?

3. If you could choose any skimmer what brand would you choose?

VOTE on your favorite brand and if I forgot a good one let me know!

Untitled-10.jpg
I run a reef octopus in one system and a SC Aquariums skimmer on the other. I just changed the pump on the SC Skimmer after 7 years running strong. Sweet

U

User1

View Badges
Voted already - forgot to fill in the blanks.

Life Reef. Purchased in 2000 for my 100 gallon tank. Using the Big Mac Index (which a burger ran us about $2.50 back then) skimmers are still considered one of the larger expenses. Saying that I wanted to buy something once that would get one or two upgrades out of it should increase tank size. Like to say here we are in 2020 and I have upgraded that 100 gallon to a 210 and it is working great. Even contacted Jeff asking about it and he checked my records and said no - no reason to buy a new one since no changes other than a few quality of life.

Without a doubt. Best skimmer I've owned but this is biased. Previously I used a ETSS which was difficult to manage a consistent skim. CPR Bak Pak has also been used on my 40 breeder and 29 gallon bio cube with success but not apples to apples.

Life Reef is it for me. No reason for any others and I like to support small businesses.

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear simplicity skimmers and products are the best bang for your buck in the industry

Klaas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's talk protein skimmers today and put it to a vote!

VOTE on your favorite brand and if I forgot a good one let me know!

Untitled-10.jpg
I have a 450 gallon system (DT and sump combined) and have been using the Deltec TC3071 external skimmer for the past 5 years. It’s an excellent skimmer and have been happy with it ever since I bought it. A bit oversized for my tank but it does the job effectively. It has 2 air pumps and an automatic cleaning system.

B08E03FB-01EB-453B-9BAE-40F4636F5809.jpeg

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Deltec all the way! They invented the needle wheel. Everything else is just a wannabe :)

Here's my SC4080 on the main

IMG_0909.jpeg

Jose A Venereo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO there are several skimmers on the market that are similar in design and performance. Individual experiences are too biased to determine the "best protein" skimmer. In order to determine the superiority of one brand over the other we would need to design a study that compares factors such as fabrication quality; pump durability/performance; ease of set up; composition of skimate; value (cost:efficacy). Consumer feedback leads more to speculation rather than conclusions. I currently own a bubble magus elite; a reef octopus and a tunze. All three are effective. In the past I have owned Sanders; Cyclone; Bubble king; ASM; Reef Devil; DIY; Cyclone; CPR; aqua medic turbo floater; etc. If there were such a thing as "the best" protein skimmer, I would only be using one brand.

Mayhem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use an old 1st generation AquaC EV-120 on my 13 year old reef. Tireless workhorse that steadily produces motor oil sewer smelling skimmate. Such a simple design with parts that last forever. It’s on its 2nd pump in 13 years: runs on an old 8-9 year old Rio 2500 pump. That Rio is also bombproof. I’ve never seen a skimmer take in that much air. It’s like it takes in as much air as water. Such intense foam production. Those air induction skimmers are in a class of their own. 3 years ago I modified the air intakes to link them up to an outdoor airline for stable high pH. (8.5-8.6). Absolutely love that thing. It’s gonna be hard to let it go when I upgrade to a 300g. I guess I’ll have to switch to one of those fancy finicky skimmers. I’m sure they won’t last as long as this beast though

Biglex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a aquamaxx hob 1.5 on my jbj and it did a great job. Now that I have my Red Sea 450 I have the nyos 160 and it’s a beast

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 158 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back