BEST SKIMMER BRAND: Who get's your vote?

Who do you think makes the best protein skimmers?

• Aquamaxx

Votes: 56 4.7%
  • Bubble Magus

Votes: 82 6.8%
  • Eshopps

Votes: 36 3.0%
  • Hydor

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Icecap

Votes: 5 0.4%
  • Innovative Marine

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Maxspect

Votes: 12 1.0%
  • Nyos

Votes: 88 7.3%
  • Red Sea

Votes: 58 4.8%
  • Reef Octopus

Votes: 411 34.2%
  • Royal Exclusiv

Votes: 116 9.7%
  • Simplicity

Votes: 28 2.3%
  • Skimz

Votes: 23 1.9%
  • Somatic

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • Tunze

Votes: 53 4.4%
  • Deltec

Votes: 69 5.7%
  • Lifereef

Votes: 74 6.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 81 6.7%

• Total voters

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Reef Octopus only because it was the highest rated in the price range I was looking at when I got my tank. I knew very little about skimmers back then and have only had that one, but it has been a real workhorse and I am very happy with it. I have no experience with other skimmers so I have nothing to compare it to, but I am glad to see that it is the most popular brand here so far. Guess I made the right choice! ;Happy

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've voted Royal Exclusiv as every super size tank owner I know rates them hugely and pays a biiig price premium to get one (sometimes equaling the tank cost). But I have never used them.

The results of this are going to likely be everyone picking their current skimmer (or the one they just bought) as unless they have issues with it, it's going to be the best skimmer for them, even though they have not used any others. And the most popular skimmer bought (likely in the US) will come out top. (Evidence of this is the sheer number of Reef Octopus vs Royal Exclusiv, whereas I've never heard of someone dumping a RE skimmer and 'upgrading" to a Reef Octopus (Not saying they aren't good skimmers, but relatively, likely not a match).

I've tried the following skimmers:

Boyu DG2516 - don't ask. It came with a system I bought. Terrible skimmer, almost in every aspect (except perhaps cost)

Tunze DOC 9004 - Very good little skimmer, perfect for a QT or smaller tank. Did produce some microbubbles though. Very easy to dial in and produce good skimmate.

Bubble Magus Curve 7 - My workhorse on my 440l system. A little sensitive at first, but once settled, extremely quiet and very consistent at producing large amounts of very dark skimmate. Maintenance free. An occasional clean of the skimmer cup when it got really caked up was all that it needed.

Deltec SC1455 - Good skimmer, noisier than the BM as no silencer, added benefit of controllable air (although you could just stick a valve on the BM airline). I find it a little difficult to get the balance right and it's not as consistent as the BM Curve7. It is much more sensitive to water height. It is very easy to take apart and service.

Surprisingly, I find the BM Curve 7 a much better performing skimmer than the Deltec in the same setting.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a Rossmont SX250 for my new build. Love it so far, pretty quiet and it is an adjustable AC pump. Reliability and control! Skims very well and has great features (optional drain line and programmable schedule over the app so you can time turning it down so it doesn’t freak out with auto dosing specific things throughout the day or feeding).

I’d recommend more people give it a shot. I’m sure the larger SX500 would be good too.

bob salzlein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t say I have a favorite, at present I’m using a hydor, have been for three years, and it’s been a trooper. A friend of mine had a couple of the really big ones and the crud those things pulled out was remarkable.
Check out the new Hydor Skimmer

New Skimmer-page-001.jpg New Skimmer-page-002.jpg

PHXReefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running the Reef Octopus 150 SSS Elite on my Red Sea 525 XL for 5 years and I would not change a thing. I have used the RO HOB skimmers as well. All quality built to last.
I am also using a 150sss elite in my Red Sea 170 for about a year. I have it on setting 4/5 cause it’s a little over sized atm. I wanted quality and dc control in case I go bigger. It’s quiet and runs well. Now i know I’m good for a tank upgrade and at least 4 years.

Last edited:

CoralReefTalk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a Rossmont SX250 for my new build. Love it so far, pretty quiet and it is an adjustable AC pump. Reliability and control! Skims very well and has great features (optional drain line and programmable schedule over the app so you can time turning it down so it doesn’t freak out with auto dosing specific things throughout the day or feeding).

I’d recommend more people give it a shot. I’m sure the larger SX500 would be good too.
I have been using Reef Octopus for years but definitely looking at Rossmont as I have the MX4100 movers and I like them a lot.

musicreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too sure what would make a skimmer the best. I'm using a Simplicity 240 DC since day 1(8 months) in total system water of 80-85 gals. It produces dark, stinky skimmate which I have to clean weekly on a generously fed tank. It's quiet and requires very little adjustments and was under $250.00

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have used Bubble Magus and RO in the past but currently running a Skimz and love it. Very easy to tune, reliable skimmate production. Woudn't hesitate to get another if there is ever a reason to (can't imagine there would be because a new pump is really the only thing that can go wrong).

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, we are all biased towards what we own. And since we don't know any better, we all think ours is the best and we would never use a different brand. Unfortunately, my "brand" isn't made anymore. MTC HSA-1000. Love it and have been using it almost 20 years now.
IMG_5959[1].JPG
Looks like an ETTS skimmer.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my ETSS skimmer, it removes a ton of dark green to brown skin mate, and once you set it you are done.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MRC (My Reef Creations), not even on the list? Similar to ETSS mentioned. They’ve had booths at MaCNA and Reefapalooza. A solid American made cast acrylic product with patented Beckett air induction system. Easy to get to (exterior), for maintenance, and no hard to get to pump problems. I run 3 of these, and have seen them at the Atlanta Aquarium and the aquariums at the science museum here at Miami. Quality and durable, not cheap thin Chinese molded plastic. Besides, we should all start buying American IMHO.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree with those in favor of the Royal Exclusiv skimmers. I have the new step dreambox with the RD6 Mini 160 and this thing is a beast! Dead quiet and rips out skimmate. Skimmer is built top notch and dissassembles in ways I never thought possible for cleaning. I have owned Vertex, and a ton of Octopus skimmers. Royal Exclusiv is expensive but you cannot hear my filter...period...it's dead quiet.
5F993D23-D43F-4EB2-BF2D-38D8B4F5C228.jpeg
Beautiful sump

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an ETTS skimmer.

I love my ETSS skimmer, it removes a ton of dark green to brown skin mate, and once you set it you are done.
Let's see a picture of that ETSS. From what I could see online, they do look similar to the Marine Technical Concept skimmers.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Reef Octopus for years but definitely looking at Rossmont as I have the MX4100 movers and I like them a lot.

I definitely have liked it so far. I have the RX1400 return pump and the SX250 skimmer on the same Waver to control them. I really like them both. Quiet, and I trust AC pumps more than DC pumps.

Beardo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run an ATB 1050.
Been happy with it.

Can't even begin to say what skimmer is the best as I haven't tried but a few different types over the years.
As far as function, I don't believe there is that much difference between any of them at the end of the day, they all pull crap from the water. Some may do it a little more efficiently, some may be easier to tune and some will hold up better in the long run. I still end up with a cup of nasty stinking liquid that everyone else in the house complains about when I empty.
I do prefer something that is robust, I don't like spending money on replacement equipment.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 35 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back