Best T5 to supplement LEDS

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I Have two Viperspectra lights running on my 90 Gallon, I'm upgrading to a 125 gallon tank Shortly! The Viperspectera lights are great but instead of getting a third I want to use T5 bulbs to in conjunction to the lights I already have. I already figures out my placement and size of bulbs I'm just not sure what kind of bulbs I should get! I know I want something more on the blue spectrum. Anyone have any advice?? I see purple bulbs blue bulbs too many for me to pick because I have no clue what I'm looking for. Right now I have great growth but hope to boost it with a hybrid light system.

Thanks

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Purple is just a combination of blue and red. It does not actually contain “purple” light, but the blue and red create a purple look.

Actinic is ~400-440 nm (even dips below 400 towards 380) centered at ~420. It excites fluorescence and overlaps with the chlorophyll A absorption.

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here's my overhead design, The lights in the middle are my Viperspectera lights and the T5 bulbs are on the outside. There will be 4 80 watt bulbs driven by dimable ballasts. My reef Pi will be the controller. I was thinking I would have two Actinic due to the fact that I will have so much blue light from my LED's. These lights will be dimable to control PAR levels. If I have Two Actinic I feel like the spread will be more even due to my design. What do you think???

The blue are blue lights and the Purple are the Actinic. I will also build reflectors
Tank overhead .png

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard there are advantages to having a system with both LEDs and t5s.
LED bars have equivalent output with less heat, power draw, and no changing bulbs. Some even beat T5's in par numbers.

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this I know, once again I'm looking for the advantages of t5 bulbs. Like better light spread and less hotspots. Many people report that they have increased growth by supplementing with t5s.

@Jon's Reef do you think that two Actinic bulbs would be a bad idea????

Back