Best tangs

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, happy thanksgiving weekend!
I have had a 100 gallon, 5’ tank running for almost a month now. My current fish are 6 green Chromis, a pair of small Ocellaris clowns and a pair of small lemon damsels. I am planning on adding a foxface next month along with 1-2 other larger fish. My ideal pairing would be 2 juvenile tangs of different body shapes IE 1 Zebrasoma and one Arcanthurus or bristletooth. My first picks would be a baby blue tang with a scopas. I’ve had these two together before in a 75 gallon but had to rehome them after 2 years when they got too big. I know obviously Zebrasomes fight their own body types as do most species. Maybe a Sailfin with a tomimi? Or a Yellow tang with an orange shoulder. Does anyone have any suggestions for a number of tangs to have and which type. I’ve heard sometimes the more the better but being that I only have only 5 ft of swimming distance should I just go with a single tang for this system? Thoughts?

image.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, happy thanksgiving weekend!
I have had a 100 gallon, 5’ tank running for almost a month now. My current fish are 6 green Chromis, a pair of small Ocellaris clowns and a pair of small lemon damsels. I am planning on adding a foxface next month along with 1-2 other larger fish. My ideal pairing would be 2 juvenile tangs of different body shapes IE 1 Zebrasoma and one Arcanthurus or bristletooth. My first picks would be a baby blue tang with a scopas. I’ve had these two together before in a 75 gallon but had to rehome them after 2 years when they got too big. I know obviously Zebrasomes fight their own body types as do most species. Maybe a Sailfin with a tomimi? Or a Yellow tang with an orange shoulder. Does anyone have any suggestions for a number of tangs to have and which type. I’ve heard sometimes the more the better but being that I only have only 5 ft of swimming distance should I just go with a single tang for this system? Thoughts?

image.jpg
I would stick to just one Acanthurid. For me this would be either a Ctenochaetus binotatus or Ctenochaetus flavicauda. Then I’d be throwing many wrasses in there as a replacement of activity from tangs.

OP
OP
Jay Williams

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick to just one Acanthurid. For me this would be either a Ctenochaetus binotatus or Ctenochaetus flavicauda. Then I’d be throwing many wrasses in there as a replacement of activity from tangs.
Thanks! I’m liking the way it looks too I’m about to install a UV as well to help keep it clean. Would that go for all species of tangs? What about just one Zebrasoma? Wrasses are nice though and maybe when the tank is more established I could add an angelfish or maybe a copperband

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick to one tang in a 100 also. Two can be trouble. I tried 2 in a 300 gallon . Yellow killed the powder brown. Make sure you have live food (black worms, etc on hand) if you try a copperband. Dwarf angels are also great movers and awesome color,.

OP
OP
Jay Williams

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick to one tang in a 100 also. Two can be trouble. I tried 2 in a 300 gallon . Yellow killed the powder brown. Make sure you have live food (black worms, etc on hand) if you try a copperband. Dwarf angels are also great movers and awesome color,.
Sounds good, I’ve heard cooperbands are picky eaters and aren’t good newbies so I’ll let my tank become more established first. For a 100g do you think a juvenile Blue tang would work?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, I’ve heard cooperbands are picky eaters and aren’t good newbies so I’ll let my tank become more established first. For a 100g do you think a juvenile Blue tang would work?
By blue you mean a hippo/regal tang right, not an Atlantic blue? 100 gal would be about the minimum since they can get almost a foot long.

OP
OP
Jay Williams

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By blue you mean a hippo/regal tang right, not an Atlantic blue? 100 gal would be about the minimum since they can get almost a foot long.
Yes, a regal tang. 100g would defo be the minimum however I am planning on upgrading when I need to:)

PlumberDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regals are pretty chill in my experience, orange shoulders are too and are grazers and like to pick at the rocks etc all day. There are lots of choices just pick the ones you like the most.

OP
OP
Jay Williams

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regals are pretty chill in my experience, orange shoulders are too and are grazers and like to pick at the rocks etc all day. There are lots of choices just pick the ones you like the most.
That is true, really all I want to do is decide on a tang to pair with a zebrasoma, maybe a blue tang, arcanthurus or bristletooth.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletooth tangs seem to do the most work in terms of eating algae, they are also relatively
small and peaceful. One would make a good pair with your yellow (add the yellow second).

OP
OP
Jay Williams

Jay Williams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletooth tangs seem to do the most work in terms of eating algae, they are also relatively
small and peaceful. One would make a good pair with your yellow (add the yellow second).
Yes! I’ve heard that too , maybe a Yellow Eye kole tang with a sailfin also

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back