OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fished out 4 hermits this morning...Sally was right next to the jar just taunting me

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still haven’t caught that dang thing. Tonight I found it trying to kill a hermit. Hermit was upside down and Sally was on top of it. Chased It away and it went right back after a minute. Thinking maybe the hermit died I fished it out. Nope, totally alive. I moved it and flipped it over and it scurried away. This Sally is evil!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Still haven’t caught that dang thing. Tonight I found it trying to kill a hermit. Hermit was upside down and Sally was on top of it. Chased It away and it went right back after a minute. Thinking maybe the hermit died I fished it out. Nope, totally alive. I moved it and flipped it over and it scurried away. This Sally is evil!
Maybe it's time to go spear fishing

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was a frickin’ disaster. Tore tank apart but crab hid inside pukani rock. So completely unsuccessful. In the process, midas blenny and clown goby were flopping around on my towel as they were hiding in a rock I took out. Royal gramma was in the same rock the crab was so he was in the air for a while too. I really hope they live. Goby and blenny are probably ok but no idea on gramma.

tips on spear fishing? Only way that sucker is leaving but he’s so skittish I don’t think it’ll work.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Get something sharp at the end and long enough to reach the bottom and keep your hands out of the water.
Long and skinny.
Maybe hang towels on the tank with narrow gaps to see in.
With most of his view blocked he may stay out longer.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well that was a frickin’ disaster. Tore tank apart but crab hid inside pukani rock.

If you can get the rock out without the fish hiding in it, and just the crab, I've heard they react to seltzer water, and bail out of rocks they are in.
I would think any carbonated drink would do the same.
Just flood the area it's in. ??????

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get the rock out without the fish hiding in it, and just the crab, I've heard they react to seltzer water, and bail out of rocks they are in.
I would think any carbonated drink would do the same.
Just flood the area it's in. ??????
I still haven’t seen my royal gramma that was in the rock. The Midas is eating, and I’ve seen the goby though he’s hiding again.

I had 2 good shots at getting the crab but he escaped my net. He was at the back of the tank and I trapped him on the wall.But he got out both times. I need to let my corals and fish recover for a while now.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg I caught the little monster!!!

the rocks weren’t arranged well so I started moving them around. The crab and my royal gramma came out of the big rock so I took it out. Took some smaller rocks out and was able to catch him. He’s in my qt tank now.

there may have been casualties:(:mad::(

My clown goby has not come out and I’m worried he could’ve gotten crushed. May have been (and still could be) in the big rock too. My shrimp is probably ok but missing at the moment (he did survive the first 2 rounds). My trumpet coral is definitely damaged though. Maybe it’ll recover?

C7278841-C3B4-4039-A2ED-D3479C084939.jpeg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Omg I caught the little monster!!!

the rocks weren’t arranged well so I started moving them around. The crab and my royal gramma came out of the big rock so I took it out. Took some smaller rocks out and was able to catch him. He’s in my qt tank now.

there may have been casualties:(:mad::(

My clown goby has not come out and I’m worried he could’ve gotten crushed. May have been (and still could be) in the big rock too. My shrimp is probably ok but missing at the moment (he did survive the first 2 rounds). My trumpet coral is definitely damaged though. Maybe it’ll recover?

Glad to hear you got the *******.
Hopefully everything recovers.
The fish may just be freaked out and hiding.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you got the *******.
Hopefully everything recovers.
The fish may just be freaked out and hiding.
They definitely are. The royal gramma has some scrapes on his tail, probably from the rock so I’ll have to watch him. I haven’t seen my clown goby in a long time so a bit worried but he’s so tiny he could hide in there forever. My shrimp and emerald crab are good. And my clown is perfect - he just hung out by my return the entire time. It’s where he sleeps.

That'll teach me not to do my research ahead of time. Thanks for all the suggestions.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would watch your candy cane, but honestly it should be fine. When mine came in, the bag it was being held in tore during shipping and lost about 70 - 75% of its water. So the bag of course collapsed and rubbed against the flesh of the Candy Cane. So it was looking worse than in your pic for a few weeks but it is fine now several months later. Relatively fine, anyway. Stupid Aiptasia growing on my Candy Cane's skeleton. I only noticed it this morning. Explains why one head was always nice and fat while the other seemed to be always aggravated and shrunken.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! My clown goby finally came out. My trumpet is looking way better already too. Now my royal gramma just needs to start eating. He’s a giant pig so the fact he’s not eating yet...who knew this would be so dramatic lol.

jmcal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got so lucky. After we caught our sally lightfoot crab munching on our new yellow goby, he had to go. Since I only have a 32 gallon biocube, I took out the live rock with the hope of scooping him up with the. Much to my surprise, as I took the first rock out and placed in on a towel, crab jumped out of it and crawled on the floor. It was an easy catch. I loved that crab, but he turned ruthless in less than three months.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%
Back