BIG TANKS versus smaller tanks...Which do you prefer and why?

BIG TANKS versus smaller tanks...Which do you prefer?

• BIGGER

Votes: 780 75.1%
  • smaller

Votes: 205 19.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 53 5.1%

• Total voters

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want bigger than my current tank. I currently have standard 75 Reef ready tank. I've mostly had only four foot tanks. At one point I had a 5-foot tank and it was so much easier to Aquascape. So my idea of a big tank, a perfect tank, for me is a 6-foot 125 up to a 180.

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still getting my big build setup (500g) but tradeoffs to both. With big tanks obviously you have way more options in terms of stocking and size of corals - getting to keep things like sharks or rays and getting to let your coral actually grow without regular trimming seems so awesome but man its expensive and the setup is waaaay harder. So many considerations like power consumption, dedicated circuits, water changing, humidity etc. that you never would have thought about with a smaller tank. Not to mention the price doesn't scale linearly... my skimmer alone was more than my entire 50g setup (1500). After its setup though you can automate everything pretty nicely and the maitenance doesn't seem terrible

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a180 gallon for 4 years now - mostly all softies. I thought it was big when I got it, but it doesn't seem big anymore. I don't change as much water as I used to though! Fish seem happier in a bigger tank.

Craigk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I prefer smaller tanks, currently nano. Not because they're somehow easier or hugely cheaper (often not!) but because I find them more focused. Every little thing matters (pun intended), so I feel more engaged and I can't just cram in everything I see. In larger tanks, I've always had a handful of favourite corals amongst many. In smaller tanks, they're all my favourites :)

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I are thinking of a Bigger Tank, but is 180 big enough or move to a 300 Gallon (other questions too - move, retirement and so on...). I would consider anything over 100 gallons a Big Tank. As for BIG TANKS versus smaller tanks... I have had both (and currently do) - The Larger Tank is more forgiving (larger water volume) it allows more slack for mistakes in water chemistry. Another advantage of the Larger Tank is that it can be used as furniture. I have a 180 Peninsula Tank and use it to extend a wall. As a result of the furniture aspect, I spent the $$$ for 2 AP700's.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger tanks are more appealing to me because of the fish I can put in them. I'm more drawn to the fish but the corals are a great side addiction. Since I like having larger colonies more than tons of small pieces, it also works out well as I don't need to have 300+ corals to fill up my 300gal. I would go bigger if/when I can but not overly so. A footprint of 8' x 4' is perfect in my opinion yet I would probably not put any more rockwork than I have in my 300, just space it out more. The extra swimming space would mean more fish. And if I kept the volume under 450-500 gal the equipment stays at a more "modest" price point and I already have most of what I'd need anyway. That's one thing about going really large... price does not scale linearly for anything!

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
love my big tank because of how many possibilities there are and how much easier it is to maintain, but small tanks have that sort of artsy aesthetic thats hard to get sometimes

Last edited:

Pirat1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Max Nano:)
20210411_133516.jpg
20210411_133423.jpg
20210411_133529.jpg

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100G now, sure felt big when I got it. Now it feels pretty medium :) For most people I'd think 100 is a big tank. I'd like to go up to 200 personally, but that's probably my max.

I'm not sure I'd want a true monster unless I paid for a maintenance tech. But I sure love watching all of you out there on R2R build them!! I love the monster build threads - keep it up ya'll.

Eric Armstrong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, I am enjoying multiple smaller tanks all tied together to one sump. Simple water changes because it’s still not a massive amount of water. Also, being able to do multiple different styles of aquascapes is interesting to me.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years ago I had a 100 gallon half cube and I felt sorry for the fish (we're talking dwarf angels) and I doubled their space.

I still feel sorry for them.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course I want nothing more than to have a large system set up but since we are renting this home, and I know at some point in my future I will move again before I get to my forever home (or so to speak) I just have not wanted to commit to such a large water volume. So for now we enjoy the presence of nanos for my systems!

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 6.28.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-16 at 6.40.08 AM.png

One day I will have a huge system... for now though I will enjoy my nano reefs!
As beautiful as your nano's are.... we won't complain. You have made it an art form.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever dreamed of getting a bigger reef tank? Doesn't everyone want a bigger tank? I personally always did but after having a "bigger" tank I'm dreaming of smaller! HA! How about you? Let's talk about it!

1. How many gallons do you consider a "BIG" tank?

2. BIG TANKS versus smaller tanks...Which do you prefer and why?

YES this is going to be a 4200g reef aquarium! image via @dca22anderson
051252B8-DDE5-441D-B44C-ED9AA21E3992.jpg
Bigger, MUCH BIGGER!
That small cube is hardly worth the effort!

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I’m in the process of moving and I chose to go from a 220 (with a 125 piggy-backed for my fuge/farm) to a 125 display. Everyone one said the same thing, “you’re going in the wrong direction!” Fact is the smaller tank can go in the greatroom at my new house so I can enjoy it all day as opposed to only after the family has gone to bed. Further, it’s easier to do water changes, the aquarium is packed (done essentially) and it’ll be easier to dial in (since I’m not supporting a zoa farm.) All that being said, I now have an 8’x30”x20” wood trough in my basement as a stand alone farm.

IMO when you go from 4’ to 6’ you’re in big tank land (or 90 to 125 g.)

Which do I prefer? I guess it all boils down to budget and goals.

FrontRangeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I would like to go big, I am still learning how to responsibly manage my Marine X 60.2 and far from expert with any of this. I am focused on being “one with my tank” before I attempt building anything bigger, like a peninsula. That being said, I am fully addicted and have aspirations of building a decent frag tank in the not-too-distant future. :)

2A47E75E-F77C-4D85-A86B-1E940764609D.jpeg

Last edited:

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger the better i would say.
With living on 2nd floor flat was hard enough getting 300 litre tank up the stairs which am currently 3 weeks into cycling dt and 16 days into cycling qt tank

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back