BIG TANKS versus smaller tanks...Which do you prefer and why?

BIG TANKS versus smaller tanks...Which do you prefer?

• BIGGER

Votes: 780 75.1%
  • smaller

Votes: 205 19.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 53 5.1%

• Total voters

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a 30 then a 57 then a 90.
Im going back to a 30.
I cant afford to do the right things like water changes on my 90- because I have well water and the anion cost is insane.
I even tried recharging it and the water i used to recharge it was just as much to make than to buy....

Conrad Noto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love bigger, but there are downfalls. If you have larger tanks you need to always have money or spares on hand. If your filter or lights die on your 20, 30, 40, 50 gallon, you can always find what you need to at least keep everything alive. Even at 24hr Walmart. When you go large everything expensive, usually have to order can be a pain and can loose live stock. Same here during hurricanes here, much easier to keep small tank alive thru it, definitely need a generator for large system.

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My unofficial sizing is largely based on length, since that primarily dictates what species you can keep:

nano = less than 5 gallons
small = less than 2'
medium = 2-3'
large = 4-5'
x-large = 6-7'
xx-large = 8-9'
xxx-large = 10' or more

When I first got my 4' 60 gallon tank, the average person to see would definitely consider it "large". I moved my saltwater from a 40 to a 125 gallon and 125 is the biggest I would want to have to manage.

If I had unlimited money and time to set up a dedicated fish room, then maybe I'd want to go bigger.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
cleaning a big tank would be a chore. I have enough cleaning with 6 kids. Tank between 40 to 100g is great for me
Just and I mean JUST cleaned my 660g and took me 12 minutes ( Glass, change socks and cleaned skimmer)

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think Ill be happy until I'm living in a reef tank and sleeping with a regulator and tank on. I bought a greenhouse not to try making money growing coral, I did it because my 3 story house does not have enough room for the size tanks I want. And because my other half would murder me if I cut the door frame out to bring in 750 gallon stock tanks. Imo bigger always bigger.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever dreamed of getting a bigger reef tank? Doesn't everyone want a bigger tank? I personally always did but after having a "bigger" tank I'm dreaming of smaller! HA! How about you? Let's talk about it!

1. How many gallons do you consider a "BIG" tank?

2. BIG TANKS versus smaller tanks...Which do you prefer and why?

YES this is going to be a 4200g reef aquarium! image via @dca22anderson
051252B8-DDE5-441D-B44C-ED9AA21E3992.jpg

Finally a cage big enough to hold the elusive Rev fish!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other...

liked said, I think its what you do with it that counts. I have both a RS 650P and a fiji cube 18.5 both peninsula's.

there is pros and cons of both so IDK if one is better its just what bettter for you! and your tank goals.
with the price of coral and fish these days smaller tanks fill up alot faster and cheaper that is for sure!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
1. How many gallons do you consider a "BIG" tank?

800-1000, not that I dont have a big one already, AND YET GOING Larger.

2. BIG TANKS versus smaller tanks...Which do you prefer and why?

I find big tanks:
Forgiving with added volume for margins of error
Easier to maintain (i thought this was going to be a nightmare - 10-15 mins to clean)
Room for everything you hope to get into the tank (no overstocking)

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As can be deduced from my screen name, 'smaller' ;)

Having gone through various sizes of FOWLR and reef tanks (8g - 300g, and a few in between) for the last 35 years, a simple long running 12g cube nano suits me just fine at this point (just 1/2g water change/2x/wk...love it!). What I appreciate most about a system is not the size or the number of spiffy gadgets, but rather the thought, dedication, skill and attention to detail displayed by the reef keeper as evidenced over a longer period of time.

Specific to smaller reef aquaria, while this is certainly person specific, I find the 'up close and person' nature of a small aquarium keeps me more focused and engaged. And along with that engagement factor, I find I'm more interested in the 'Hows and Whys' pertaining to how reef systems and all their inhabitants (both in the wild and in captivity) function and interact from the macro to the microscopic level.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with "smaller" and apparently 77% of you are compensating or something... LOL

I just love the ease of care and relatively low-cost, low-time investment of nano tank maintenance. I certainly see the appeal of having a bigger tank (and had one myself) but it takes a lot more work and when time comes to move it, for whatever reasons, it's a major hassle.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll put the Small-Big dividing line @ 50 gallons. I'd probably add a third category of "What-Was-I-Thinking" above maybe 200 Gallons.

BIG TANKS versus smaller tanks...Which do you prefer and why?
To me, "Big" or "Small" is really measured by my reach. That makes Depth & Width is a big issue for me. I want to be able to reach the bottom back corners without a snorkel! That means that since I'm 5'8" with an average arm length, 18-20" width & depth is about max. That translates to a 75 gallon to 100 gallon tank in the 4' to 6' range.

My favorite all time tank was a 6' X18"X 18" 100 gallon... exactly like two 50 gallon breeders placed side by side. It was easy to manage because I could easily reach everything. It had enough room for some decent sized fish; didn't require super intense lighting; and held enough water to be stable. My second choice would be a 50 gallon breeder (3' X 18" X 18").

That said... I've got a 90 gallon because I forgot about the anti-snorkel thing when I bought it!

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer bigger tanks. I like the bigger selection of fish and the landscapez also want some massive colonies

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with a 3 foot 50 gallon, then a 90 gallon cube, then a 40 breeder, now a 150g 48"x30"x24". The 150g will replace the 50 gallon once it's done being made. Next build after this will be my last big tank. I'm looking at 12'x4'x28" as my last build. That'll probably be another 15 years though because of the price.

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty happy with my 120. Feels like the perfect size for me. Do t know if y'all consider that bigger or smaller, but I voted bigger because its not a little cube.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back