bigger tank and new fish

Popeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upgrading from a 55 gal to a 125 gal. I already have a yellow tang but want to get another tang as well, along with a couple other fish. My concern is getting my yellow tang to get along with new fish. I was told to add new fish to tank when i swap tanks. and I've also been told not to add new fish right away after swap. So my question is when is a good time to add some new fish to new tank? And any recommendations on some good fish to add to reef tank with yellow tang, 6 line wrasse and two clowns that I already own

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean as long as ur using all ur rock and equipment I think one fish would be ok. You just don't want to add a lot to the bio load and ur filtration, beneficial bacteria and such not br able to keep up. I recently went from 55 to 75 and added a fish the following day. Didn't have a problem with it

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upgrading from a 55 gal to a 125 gal. I already have a yellow tang but want to get another tang as well, along with a couple other fish. My concern is getting my yellow tang to get along with new fish. I was told to add new fish to tank when i swap tanks. and I've also been told not to add new fish right away after swap. So my question is when is a good time to add some new fish to new tank? And any recommendations on some good fish to add to reef tank with yellow tang, 6 line wrasse and two clowns that I already own

Yes, get rid of the 6 line wrasse first of all. Not friendly to new additions. Also with the Yellow Tang is it possible to keep it in the 55 gallon until you get the other fish and additions transferred in?

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. I'll use most of my existing rock and water. Also a couple cups of old sand to seed new sand as well as macro algae from old sump.
So adding a new tang with existing tang will be ok? Then I can add a couple more a little later.

OP
OP
Popeye

Popeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, get rid of the 6 line wrasse first of all. Not friendly to new additions. Also with the Yellow Tang is it possible to keep it in the 55 gallon until you get the other fish and additions transferred in?
I'm transferring most everything over to new tank so wont have any water in old tank

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with new aquascape and more room I think the old tang will be a little confused and busy to really care too much about him. Plenty of people have added a new tang to an existing tank I guess you'd just have to watch it!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with new aquascape and more room I think the old tang will be a little confused and busy to really care too much about him. Plenty of people have added a new tang to an existing tank I guess you'd just have to watch it!

True, once an established fish goes into a new tank it's like having a new fish.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back