OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I went for the Regal 300SSS instead of the 250SSS since the 250SSS and 300SSS are basically the same price. Considering your tangs I'd go for the 300SSS to be safe. Just my 2 cents. Totally up to you both will work great IMO.
I currently have a 150SSS on my 120 gal tank and love it. I have found that their skimmers are underrated size wise, thus they can handle more than listed. I will need to look at the footprint of the 300SSS to make sure it would fit in the sump. I just want to be able to keep the waste down as low as possible as I will also have SPS in the tank as well and I don't feel like having to clean the detritus from the sand bed every week, lol!!!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the build and the scaping has been fun to follow. I like what you have going so far!!

I'd definitely get the gem and purple but I just got our gem so I'm a little bias haha
Never had a Gem, but I did have a Purple tang and it was a beautiful tang. The only reason I got rid of it was to make room for my Gold Rim tang. I am kinda settling on the Acanthurus route, meaning the 2nd list, mostly because of one tang in particular. I feel the Convict tang is the most under-appreciated tang out there. I may add a 2nd Zebrasoma because of the 3 acanthurus tangs will disperse the aggression.

Last edited:

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 150SSS on my 120 gal tank and love it. I have found that their skimmers are underrated size wise, thus they can handle more than listed. I will need to look at the footprint of the 300SSS to make sure it would fit in the sump.

Definitely do that, very few pre-built sumps have the space for a 300SSS.

I just want to be able to keep the waste down as low as possible as I will also have SPS in the tank as well and I don't feel like having to clean the detritus from the sand bed every week, lol!!!

Me and you both brother. So what I did was plan out a proper CUC to deal with it for me. I plan to employ 1 fighting conch, 1 tiger conch, 15 nassarius snails, and one diamond goby to, then go from there.

Last edited:

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide which set of tangs to go with.

Achilles tang
D. Sailfin tang
Blonde Naso tang
Tomini tang
Purple tang
Gem tang

or

Achilles tang
D. Sailfin tang
Blonde Naso tang
Tomini tang
My 5 in Gold Rim tang
Convict tang

Along with this list of wrasses, though I may either drop a wrasse or two for a leopard wrasse of some sort, or just add it as a 7th wrasse, LOL!!!

Eight Line Flasher wrasse
Lunate Fairy wrasse
Lineatus Fairy wrasse
Pintail Fairy wrasse
Rhomboid Fairy wrasse
Blue Flasher wrasse
I like the first option!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the first option!
Darn, LOL!!! So now the count is 1 and 1. ;Hilarious :eek:;Hilarious

If I add a Purple or Gem to the 2nd, would you change your vote?

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn, LOL!!! So now the count is 1 and 1. ;Hilarious :eek:;Hilarious

If I add a Purple or Gem to the 2nd, would you change your vote?
Never had a gem but I’d love to have one. I do have a purple and won’t ever have a tank without one. If you added either of those then yes, I would go option 2.

My tang list for essentially the same size tank is even bigger... may need to re-evaluate but my thought was also that adding a couple more reduces overall aggression. I’m not worried about nutrient control personally.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide which set of tangs to go with.

Achilles tang
D. Sailfin tang
Blonde Naso tang
Tomini tang
Purple tang
Gem tang

or

Achilles tang
D. Sailfin tang
Blonde Naso tang
Tomini tang
My 5 in Gold Rim tang
Convict tang

Along with this list of wrasses, though I may either drop a wrasse or two for a leopard wrasse of some sort, or just add it as a 7th wrasse, LOL!!!

Eight Line Flasher wrasse
Lunate Fairy wrasse
Lineatus Fairy wrasse
Pintail Fairy wrasse
Rhomboid Fairy wrasse
Blue Flasher wrasse
You may know better then me but pintail and lunate and pintail maybe a problem together. Also I would add lineatus last or at least after Rhomboid.
My vote is definitely a couple leopards to!!!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a gem but I’d love to have one. I do have a purple and won’t ever have a tank without one. If you added either of those then yes, I would go option 2.

My tang list for essentially the same size tank is even bigger... may need to re-evaluate but my thought was also that adding a couple more reduces overall aggression. I’m not worried about nutrient control personally.
This was the Purple tang I sold. Such a beautiful tang.

20181118_180634.jpg

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may know better then me but pintail and lunate and pintail maybe a problem together. Also I would add lineatus last or at least after Rhomboid.
My vote is definitely a couple leopards to!!!
I am not really worried about Flasher and Fairy wrasses. If possible I will add them all at once to help settle any aggression. I have been talked into one at least. It will be either a Meleagris or a Ornate. I like the Blue star, but they are hard to get thru QT.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill, I like the shelf rock look so much, I'm thinking about ordering some and redoing the rockscape in my 90g. I really like the look and it makes for lots of room to put corals! Thanks for showing it off.
Hold off, I will most likely have some left over, I will send it to you.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not really worried about Flasher and Fairy wrasses. If possible I will add them all at once to help settle any aggression. I have been talked into one at least. It will be either a Meleagris or a Ornate. I like the Blue star, but they are hard to get thru QT.
Love all the leopards. Surprised blue star is hard getting through QT. I cheated and used TSM aquatics for hard to QT wrasse. Lucky they are with in 1 1/2 hours or I would have had to stock different wrasse.

I’ll be following along to see the progression and learn some stuff along the way

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn, now it’s tied at 3 each, lol!!!;Facepalm

I will probably go with option 1 and 2, lol!!! I will need to rehome the Blonde Naso and possibly the D. Sailfin tang down the road. I will probably add a Purple or Gem tang to the 1st list, or maybe both.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn, now it’s tied at 3 each, lol!!!;Facepalm

I will probably go with option 1 and 2, lol!!! I will need to rehome the Blonde Naso and possibly the D. Sailfin tang down the road. I will probably add a Purple or Gem tang to the 1st list, or maybe both.

Sounds like the best solution lol. What's the point of us investing thousands if we can't reasonably fill it up with all the fish we want? Let's hope the tang police don't find their way in here though, we're going to have some beef if they do haha (don't worry I got your back Bill).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back