OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just talked with a Rep from Neptune about returning my Trident, and he was a pretty cool dude. So it is settled, I will send in my Trident to be looked at. When I get it back I hope to be able to give a good and honest opinion between the KHD/IOND and the Trident. I just need for my IOND to be shipped...LOL!!!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to add 2 Ecotech L2's to replace the Neptune Cor 20's, but after looking at the sizing of the pumps, I am not sure I can fit 2 in the return section of my sump. I am looking at adding a single Red Dragon 230w(6340 GPH) pump. When you take into account the cost of 2 Ecotech L2's, the Red Dragon is only a few hundred more dollars. It's a big pump, but I figure I could still shoehorn it in the return section.

I would have to totally redo my return plumbing, as it would only be one pump for both returns and reactors vs. 2 separate returns, BUT, I planned on upsizing my returns from 1" to 1.25", so the only difference would be that I would have to do both at the same time.

Last edited:

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking to add 2 Ecotech L2's to replace the Neptune Cor 20's, but after looking at the sizing of the pumps, I am not sure I can fit 2 in the return section of my sump. I am looking at adding a single Red Dragon 230w(6340 GPH) pump. When you take into account the cost of 2 Ecotech L2's, the Red Dragon is only a few hundred more dollars. It's a big pump, but I figure I could still shoehorn it in the return section.

I would have to totally redo my return plumbing, as it would only be one pump for both returns and reactors vs. 2 separate returns, BUT, I planned on upsizing my returns from 1" to 1.25", so the only difference would be that I would have to do both at the same time.
What sump did you go with? I began designing a custom sump. I'm trying to see if GEO could make something that works with the new Clarisea gen 3 but could retrofit socks in the future if supply or repairs become an issue. I think people underestimate having a large return section. What is the benefit of going to 1.25" returns? I know you went with 1.5" drains.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sump did you go with? I began designing a custom sump. I'm trying to see if GEO could make something that works with the new Clarisea gen 3 but could retrofit socks in the future if supply or repairs become an issue. I think people underestimate having a large return section. What is the benefit of going to 1.25" returns? I know you went with 1.5" drains.
Originally, I thought about going with a Geo, but the cost turned me off. I went with a Bashsea SS-48 sump. The SS-60 had the same return pump dimensions, thus going with a SS-48.

The 1.25 returns will simply give me more GPH. Head pressure doesn't only apply to 90's and such. The size of the return plumbing restricts the flow as well.

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally, I thought about going with a Geo, but the cost turned me off. I went with a Bashsea SS-48 sump. The SS-60 had the same return pump dimensions, thus going with a SS-48.

The 1.25 returns will simply give me more GPH. Head pressure doesn't only apply to 90's and such. The size of the return plumbing restricts the flow as well.
What's the turnover rate you're looking for? I was probably going to do 1" drains, 3/4" returns, and 2 Vectra S2s. That would give me 4-5x turnover for the system and I could afford to put S2s on the mixing station and elsewhere.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the turnover rate you're looking for? I was probably going to do 1" drains, 3/4" returns, and 2 Vectra S2s. That would give me 4-5x turnover for the system and I could afford to put S2s on the mixing station and elsewhere.
I am also looking at a 4x-5x turnover. Using 2 Cor 20's I am at a 4.5 turnover with the pumps at 100 percent...YEA!!! I haven't even put into play my Clear Water Algae Scrubber yet. I hate running anything at 100 percent. I was looking at 2 Ecotech L2's, but the footprint of 2 L2's is a problem. If anyone can unquestionably show me that 2 Cor 20's have the same footprint as the Ecotech L2's then it will be a no brainer, I will go with the Ecotech L2's.

The Apex Cor 20's are using a 1" return. I plan on upsizing the returns to 1.25 to help with the flow, though, I am not sure how much it will really help.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELL, I am on the hunt the for Vermited snails now...UGH!!! I tried my hardest to keep them out, but I pulled out, or crushed 5 last night. I had to remove a few off of my Trochus snails as well. I kinda know how they got into my tank, they were under the coraline algae on the Trochus snails from my last tank.

Last edited:

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELL, I am on the hunt the for Vermited snails now...UGH!!! I tried my hardest to keep them out, but I pull out, or crushed 5 last night. I had to remove a few of of my Trochus snails as well. I kinda know how they got into my tank, they were under the coraline algae on the Trochus snails from my last tank.
Try the bumblebee snail method and let us know how it goes! Source: I have bumblebees but no vermited... obviously, that's science.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wanting to go with to Ecotech L2's in my sump for the returns and get away from the Neptune Cor 20's, but I am not sure I can fit 2 in the return section. I hate having to change from the Cor 20's as they fit perfectly, but the GPH is highly over estimated, IME, with Apex flow meters. I may go with a Red Dragon 3 Speedy 230w. The problem is, I like having the redundancy of 2 return pumps. Decisions...decisions!!!

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could have a custom sump designed by like Advanced Acrylics. Not really that much more costly and could have exact dimensions then.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have a custom sump designed by like Advanced Acrylics. Not really that much more costly and could have exact dimensions then.
I may have a custom sump made in the future, but right now this tank upgrade is killing me financially...LOL!!!

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have a custom sump made in the future, but right now this tank upgrade is killing me financially...LOL!!!
I hear that. Wishing I would have just went custom from the start. Went through 2 waterboxes now and this Cade. While I think the Cade is so much better than the waterbox, I still wish I would have went custom. Running into issues that are design flaws that aren't easily fixable.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear that. Wishing I would have just went custom from the start. Went through 2 waterboxes now and this Cade. While I think the Cade is so much better than the waterbox, I still wish I would have went custom. Running into issues that are design flaws that aren't easily fixable.
I went with a custom tank because I like the dimensions, and CDA stood out to me. I didn't go custom on the sump because I was scared of the added cost. I like having 2 return pumps for redundancy, but, a Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon return pump is only one of 2 manufacturer that I would go with a single pump. The other being Abyzz, but at double the cost of the Red Dragon, which is already a ton of money.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a custom tank because I like the dimensions, and CDA stood out for me. I didn't go custom on the sump because I was scared of the added cost. I like having 2 return pumps for redundancy, but, a Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon return pump is only one of 2 manufacturer that I would go with a single pump. The other being Abyzz, but at double the cost of the Red Dragon, which is already a ton of money.
Get what you pay for! I've never heard bad things about Abyzz.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get what you pay for! I've never heard bad things about Abyzz.
Yea, but $3000 for a return pump. I have never heard anything bad about a Red Dragon as well, but at half the cost. The difference is you get a better built pump, not sure really, with a 2 year warranty from Royal Exclusiv, vs, and awesome built pump with a 10 year warranty at double the cost. Trust me, I have been looking at the Abyzz, as its much smaller than the Red Dragon, just not sure if I can justify the cost of spending $3000 for the pump I need.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing Cyano taking over the tank. Hopefully this is a good thing and the Dino's are on the loosing side. I can get rid of Cyano easily, buy I will let the tank be overrun with it before I treat for it. I am seeing some progress in the fight against Dino's, BUT, if I don't see an end to the battle after I do a 3-4 day total blackout, I will likely go to the @vetteguy53081 route and dose Hydrogen Peroxide. I, personally, hate adding things to my tank that are not there natural, but, sometimes an even more aggressive approach is needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the total blackout, meaning, I will turn off all lights and cover the tank with a sheet to prevent any ambient light from getting in. I will open up my stand to allow for some cooling, and if I see the UV sterilizer raising the tank temp above what I want, I will turn it off as well.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had the first actual major issue with the Apwx Trident. Ironically, its just before I am shutting it down for shipment to Neptune. I notice a sudden spike in the Trident Alk readings vs the GHL KHD. The KHD was showing a constant 8.8-8.9 reading, initially, so was the Trident...until the last day or two. While the KHD was showing 8.8-8.9, the Trident suddenly jumped up to 11.8-12.7. I just shut down the Trident to ship it to Neptune, and when I removed the reagents to start the shut down, I see why the readings were off. I did a complete reagent replacement on the Trident before doing the comparison, so I wouldn't have to deal with the fan boys. I even said this in the comparison thread. WELL, the Alk reagent was empty. The Apex Fusion showed that I was at 73 percent...HMM!!!

Screenshot (217).png

20210830_184356.jpg

The GHL KHD and the Neptune Trident. If I was using the Apex auto dosing, this would have created an issue.

Screenshot (220).png
Screenshot (221).png

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I started the total blackout, meaning, I will turn off all lights and cover the tank with a sheet to prevent any ambient light from getting in. I will open up my stand to allow for some cooling, and if I see the UV sterilizer raising the tank temp above what I want, I will turn it off as well.
Ambient lighting acceptable. White/bright lights are the enemy

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had the first actual major issue with the Apwx Trident. Ironically, its just before I am shutting it down for shipment to Neptune. I notice a sudden spike in the Trident Alk readings vs the GHL KHD. The KHD was showing a constant 8.8-8.9 reading, initially, so was the Trident...until the last day or two. While the KHD was showing 8.8-8.9, the Trident suddenly jumped up to 11.8-12.7. I just shut down the Trident to ship it to Neptune, and when I removed the reagents to start the shut down, I see why the readings were off. I did a complete reagent replacement on the Trident before doing the comparison, so I wouldn't have to deal with the fan boys. I even said this in the comparison thread. WELL, the Alk reagent was empty. The Apex Fusion showed that I was at 73 percent...HMM!!!

Screenshot (217).png

20210830_184356.jpg

The GHL KHD and the Neptune Trident. If I was using the Apex auto dosing, this would have created an issue.

Screenshot (220).png
Screenshot (221).png
So where do you think Apex went wrong? I came up with two hypotheses:
  • The Trident ran out of reagent at 0900 on 29AUG2021
  • The Trident used all 73% of the reagent starting at 0900 on 29AUG2021
How much reagent of the other bottles were left? Do you have even percentage readouts for the total reagent left in each bottle to avoid this issue in the future?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 92 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back