OP
Billldg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw your post about switching your gyres over to MP60s at some point. Have you thought about doing 4 MP40s like this? I figured you could get some really great water motion this way, including a gyre effect, and not have to worry about detritus buildup in the back. This is my model of the tank on a 40" stand with 4 MP40s. Everything is scaled perfectly. Notice the child? This totally wasn't an attempt to persuade her.
20210822_161529.jpg
With my aquscape and such, I have the 2 back Mp40's lower on the glass to blow the detritus from the backside of the aquascape. I love the MP40's, but I need the other 2 pumps to do the majority of the work load of various flow in the tank. I will use 2 MP60's only because I want a massive amount of flow and not have to run the pumps close to max. I really depends on the scape and what you will have in the tank. In my tank I have, roughly, a 4 in channel that runs the length of my tank, and it would be a pain to get a siphon tube back there. I think you plan is solid, it just depends on the scape.

20210905_134836.jpg
20210905_134843.jpg

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my aquscape and such, I have the 2 back Mp40's lower on the glass to blow the detritus from the backside of the aquascape. I love the MP40's, but I need the other 2 pumps to do the majority of the work load of various flow in the tank. I will use 2 MP60's only because I want a massive amount of flow and not have to run the pumps close to max. I really depends on the scape and what you will have in the tank. In my tank I have, roughly, a 4 in channel that runs the length of my tank, and it would be a pain to get a siphon tube back there. I think you plan is solid, it just depends on the scape.

20210905_134836.jpg
20210905_134843.jpg
I was thinking you had the MP40s on the back wall! That makes a lot of sense you would get MP60s. :)

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna failed when they released the N03 high range checker. I talked with BRS and they even said they failed when releasing it, as they are so far behind on the reagent packets. I find this extremely concerning, as they released the N03 with 10 reagent packets, and, have no extras available. Talk about releasing something to get ahead on something else, even when you are not ready yourself Hanna.

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, disappointing release, especially after their original N03 LR checker was a bust for most reefers, too. I would be willing to bet, though, that one of their suppliers for their reagent was not forthcoming about their own shortages due to COVID. Hanna is fairly reputable and I think they're just going to eat this in silencer rather than push the blame.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, disappointing release, especially after their original N03 LR checker was a bust for most reefers, too. I would be willing to bet, though, that one of their suppliers for their reagent was not forthcoming about their own shortages due to COVID. Hanna is fairly reputable and I think they're just going to eat this in silencer rather than push the blame.
I love the N03 high range checker, I just wish they were better with the release and the reagents.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I try to be as transparent as possible. I talked with Apex about the Trident and the person I was talking to, was pretty cool. This person even asked me to include the FMM module that was apart of my dysfunctional when I sent in my Trident. So I will send in both the Trident and the problematic FMM module to be serviced. I signed a NSI on the Trident and what was being done to it, so I can't disclose what was done. I am not sure on what I can say as to what was found though.

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, I try to be as transparent as possible. I talked with Apex about the Trident and the person I was talking to, was pretty cool. This person even asked me to include the FMM module that was apart of my dysfunctional when I sent in my Trident. So I will send in both the Trident and the problematic FMM module to be serviced. I signed a NSI on the Trident and what was being done to it, so I can't disclose what was done. I am not sure on what I can say as to what was found though.
If you had to sign an NSI or NDA, it sounds like you're getting some special treatment by Neptune... Nothing against you at all, but they're clearly stroking some objects to keep you in good favor... Just from the outside looking in. Thank you for your transparancy.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had to sign an NSI or NDA, it sounds like you're getting some special treatment by Neptune... Nothing against you at all, but they're clearly stroking some objects to keep you in good favor... Just from the outside looking in. Thank you for your transparancy.
Its actually the opposite, they do not want me to say a thing, as I have a GHL conversion thread and was outspoken, and censored, in the Neptune/BRS merger. Plus me being a Mod...HMMM!!!

I can not be bought, as they have no clue what it would take, LOL, I am just trying to be honest in the comparisons. I am not rich, and thus, it actually means I have to work more to build the finances to do the comparisons. I am just a sucker to a cause, meaning, I like and try to help others that are not in the position to buy one thing, and it not workout, and struggle to buy the other that they should have bought originally.

I have never had any major issue with Neptune, until my ATK issue, and had no issue signing the NSI. I did call, and talked to Neptune directly, about the NSI and what is included. This is not about bad mouthing one brand over another. It is simply me trying to help other reefers.

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Bill ,back,..glad to see good progress with the dino's,... :cool:
getting more interesting by the day with the equipment decisions ...:oops:...wow..;)
. ...............................
walrus GIF

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its actually the opposite, they do not want me to say a thing, as I have a GHL conversion thread and was outspoken, and censored, in the Neptune/BRS merger. Plus me being a Mod...HMMM!!!

I can not be bought, as they have no clue what it would take, LOL, I am just trying to be honest in the comparisons. I am not rich, and thus, it actually means I have to work more to build the finances to do the comparisons. I am just a sucker to a cause, meaning, I like and try to help others that are not in the position to buy one thing, and it not workout, and struggle to buy the other that they should have bought originally.

I have never had any major issue with Neptune, until my ATK issue, and had no issue signing the NSI. I did call, and talked to Neptune directly, about the NSI and what is included. This is not about bad mouthing one brand over another. It is simply me trying to help other reefers.
Thanks for the clarification! That makes sense.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started back up my AWC, and changed it from 3 gals a day to 5 gals a day. It will roughly give me a 150 gal a month change. It is high, but, I want to help lower the N03 and supplement the trace elements in the tank.

I am trying to help Ecotech and Mobius become better, as I have had issues with the connectivity with Mobius WiFi. It is still in Beta testing, but, I will make sure to help it become better.

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started back up my AWC, and changed it from 3 gals a day to 5 gals a day. It will roughly give me a 150 gal a month change. It is high, but, I want to help lower the N03 and supplement the trace elements in the tank.

I am trying to help Ecotech and Mobius become better, as I have had issues with the connectivity with Mobius WiFi. It is still in Beta testing, but, I will make sure to help it become better.
Are you working directly with Ecotech? Their Versa looks so tempting... 2 heads for AWC, 1 for Kalk, 1 for a Calcium Rx or another supplement. Unless you're dosing all kinds of other things, 4 heads that are rated for continuous use is a good setup.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you working directly with Ecotech? Their Versa looks so tempting... 2 heads for AWC, 1 for Kalk, 1 for a Calcium Rx or another supplement. Unless you're dosing all kinds of other things, 4 heads that are rated for continuous use is a good setup.
I currently use 3 single Versa pumps. 2 for my AWC and a 3rd to fill my ATO. The pumps are solid to say the least. 2 of the pumps are a floor below and run roughly 50-60ft of 1/4 tubing.

I try to help Ecotech in any way possible. I am using the WiFi part of Mobius currently. It is solid in some ways, but not in others.

Last edited:

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use 3 single Versa pumps. @ for my AWC and a 3rd to fill my ATO. The pumps are solid to say the least. 2 of the pumps are a floor below and run roughly 50-60ft of 1/4 tubing.

I try to help Ecotech in any way possible. I am using the WiFi part of Mobius currently. It is solid in some ways, but not in others.
Could you share how you fill your ATO? I'm assuming I'm going to have to do the same thing as you did with building the mixing station in the garage.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the build. I too was looking at the Abyzz but couldn't jusitify the cost over the Red Dragon. Perhaps in the future.
I was looking at the Red Dragon, but the size vs the head pressure is what got me looking at the Abyzz. I have already spent a small fortune on this tank and the comparison, so a little more money means nothing...LOL!!!

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a N03 and P04 test with my Hanna testers. My N03 is still at 75 plus and my P04 is at .18. Both are far higher that I want. I just started to do my AWC again, and recently change it from 3 gals a day to 5 gals a day. I may need to up it more to help lower both.

I just changed my Versa's to do a 7 gal change daily.

I will do a 28000 ml change from 7 pm to 9:30 pm. At 133.33 ml/min you start to hear the Versa's.

At that rate, I will have to monitor my 100 gal salt water tank. I will have to mix more water in between to keep up.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankfully, I just checked and I have 80 gals in my mixing tank and another 80 gals in my RO/DI tank. SO I will be good until next weekend.

OP
OP
Billldg

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you share how you fill your ATO? I'm assuming I'm going to have to do the same thing as you did with building the mixing station in the garage.
I take a guesstament, and use that to add RO/DI water to my ATO. I add 2 gals daily to my ATO based on what I see my tank evaporate daily. I have to periodically add more water to the ATO thru Mobius, but, its not common. I will eventually add photo sensors to my ATO to monitor it more closely, but, found the other way almost as easy.

As far as the head pressure of the Versa, I have 2 installed in the basement, 1 floor below and have to pump it up a floor and thru, roughly 50-60 ft of 1/4 tubing. I have the RO/DI and AWC Supply Versa's in the basement.

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a N03 and P04 test with my Hanna testers. My N03 is still at 75 plus and my P04 is at .18. Both are far higher that I want. I just started to do my AWC again, and recently change it from 3 gals a day to 5 gals a day. I may need to up it more to help lower both.

I just changed my Versa's to do a 7 gal change daily.

I will do a 28000 ml change from 7 pm to 9:30 pm. At 133.33 ml/min you start to hear the Versa's.

At that rate, I will have to monitor my 100 gal salt water tank. I will have to mix more water in between to keep up.
How's the CW scrubber working? If it's as good as they say, it should put a pretty big dent in your NO3 and PO4.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back