Bio media in sump

Dc1338

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2025
Messages
35
Reaction score
17
Location
Texas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I about about 1000ml of matrix in my sump along with a few boxes of the biomax. Is it going to be okay if I take all the live rock out of my sump? I'm having a high nutrient issue and I believe that the sump is that reason.
 
I about about 1000ml of matrix in my sump along with a few boxes of the biomax. Is it going to be okay if I take all the live rock out of my sump? I'm having a high nutrient issue and I believe that the sump is that reason.
Let's look into stuff before jumping into changes quickly. Any quick changes can cause disruptions in the microbiome.

First off, what's the age and size of the system?

What nutrients are high?

What fish and corals do you have?

Do you have live rock in the display?

Do you have sand in the display?

Do you have a skimmer?
 
How much rock is in the sump? What about the display? Why you feel you need something in the sump? What is the nutrient levels and why do you feel its caused by the rocks in the sump?

I agree there is not enough info to make a suggestion
 
I'll make one suggestion: I'd ditch the Matrix and Biomax. These medias (any "white" biomedia) have been known to leach aluminum, and in general "extra" biofiltration is not needed in a saltwater tank. Your rocks, sand and other surfaces grow plenty of beneficial bacteria:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/a...e-frequent-waterchanges.1163945/post-14428908
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/is-it-possible-to-have-too-much-bio-media.1146779/post-14157134
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aqpet-bio-block.1141034/post-14060271
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/high-aluminum-in-reef-tank.1154530/post-14287237

I hope this helps!
 
Live rock is my preferred media in a sump and isn't a cause of high nutrients.
I have to dose to keep N and P above zero in this tank.
PXL_20261008_233223233.jpg


I also think people are too fast to blame higher levels of N and P for problems.
Fat hungry fish and my heavy feedings causes high levels but they're not an issue.


PXL_20261004_165655196.MP.jpg


PXL_20260830_164634273.MP~2.jpg
 
I about about 1000ml of matrix in my sump along with a few boxes of the biomax. Is it going to be okay if I take all the live rock out of my sump? I'm having a high nutrient issue and I believe that the sump is that reason.
It will be fine if you take the live rock out. There will already be more than enough surface area for nitrifying bacteria in the rock in the display and in/on the sand bed, so it won't cause an ammonia spike or anything.
That being said, i'm not sure how the liverock would be responsible for high nutrients.
 
I about about 1000ml of matrix in my sump along with a few boxes of the biomax. Is it going to be okay if I take all the live rock out of my sump? I'm having a high nutrient issue and I believe that the sump is that reason.
It will be fine if you take the live rock out. There will already be more than enough surface area for nitrifying bacteria in the rock in the display and in/on the sand bed, so it won't cause an ammonia spike or anything.
That being said, i'm not sure how the liverock would be responsible for high nutrients.
I have about 15lbs of live rock on top of all that media. Its trapping detritus in the refugium section. I’m looking into biospheres
 
I’m looking into biospheres
Please see my post above. Any of those fake bio medias can leach heavy metals, and many here at R2R would not use them.

What are your parameters? What do you think is high?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 8.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 5.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new