Causes for high aluminum

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shnetts
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Shnetts

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 11, 2024
Messages
1,261
Reaction score
2,139
Location
Nowhere
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, I just got my results back from my icp test and my aluminum is at 103 ug/l. Witch they say is 503% of what it should be. Im wondering where this could be coming from, I run a mini carbon reactor and I have some marine pure gems and filter floss and thats all I have for filtration. 5 gal water change a week. Just wondering where it could be entering the system from.
 
I had those marine pure balls and blocks in my sump and I read high aluminum as well. Ended up removing them and it fixed my issue
good to know, thank you for the info!
 
the marine pure gems are an off white color, and my filter floss is defiantly white

Floss is not a concern, but the Marine Pure is a likely source.
 
noted, Im going to take them out tonight. How long should I wait for another ICP to check if its gone down?

I would not rush. It may take a while and your levels are not, IMO, an emergency.
 
ok, just asking because I do a ICP once a month and Its due for one in about a week

I'd just do your regular routine. :)
 
@Randy Holmes-Farley just wanted to see if there are some additional articles or testing information on the aluminum issue. I have a box of marine pure that I never got around to using. But, the aluminum leaching issue gives me pause. The main article I have come across was testing done by the manufacturer. (so grain of salt needs to be taken) lol

https://www.cermedia.com/2017/01/11/cermedias-marinepure-and-the-report-of-an-aluminum-issue/
Thanks for any additional info!

I tested and demonstrated that aluminum oxide, such as Seachem phosguard, can be a significant source of aluminum.

https://reefs.com/magazine/chemistry-and-the-aquarium-aluminum-in-the-reef-aquarium/
I've not seen too many careful studies of other materials. I know with Marine Pure there was some significant debate, and even claims that the aluminum released was actually from counterfeit products and not the real branded product.

I don't know all the answers to the question of what releases aluminum, but many folks using various sorts of white/off white media found elevated aluminum that declined on removal.

Since such media doesn't have a critical need in reefing (IMO), my suggestion is to just not use it.
 
Any idea if Siporax or Seachem Matrix contains this aluminum?
 
Any idea if Siporax or Seachem Matrix contains this aluminum?
I believe that Siporax does not. I don't know about Matrix.
 
I think seachem matrix has Al because I used it and have high Al
 
I think that siporax is glass . Lost sea urchins and sea stars due to using MarinePure . They were fine before I put it in . When I was taking it out . It literally crumbled in my hands . So after years of water changes and siphoning . My new urchins growing fine . They were ORA aquaculture
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new