Causes for high aluminum

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shnetts
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Hello, I just got my results back from my icp test and my aluminum is at 103 ug/l. Witch they say is 503% of what it should be. Im wondering where this could be coming from, I run a mini carbon reactor and I have some marine pure gems and filter floss and thats all I have for filtration. 5 gal water change a week. Just wondering where it could be entering the system from.
I know TCIP well as a scientist.
The problem with TCIP is that Aluminum Oxide or Bauxite will be reported as Aluminium, in this form it does not present a problem it is abundant in the environment. The reason is people who are not degree chemists are running amok with this equipment, and when computer says , computer must be right!
Marine pure for example has an amount of bauxite in its composition, and this can cause this false reading, along with other common items such as pump wear rotors and some substrates
 
Anecdotal , my urchins and starfish all died . I hadn’t added any new fish, only thing was marine pure block . Loved the idea of free flow and increased surface area . But knew that it was a problem when I went to pick it up . It literally disintegrated upon touching . Crumbled under the slightest pressure
 
I know TCIP well as a scientist.
The problem with TCIP is that Aluminum Oxide or Bauxite will be reported as Aluminium, in this form it does not present a problem it is abundant in the environment. The reason is people who are not degree chemists are running amok with this equipment, and when computer says , computer must be right!
Marine pure for example has an amount of bauxite in its composition, and this can cause this false reading, along with other common items such as pump wear rotors and some substrates

Not sure exactly what you are suggesting, but aluminum oxide can release free aluminum into seawater.
 
So I understand all but no one has mentioned the detrimental effects of aluminum in a tank.

It takes fairly substantial levels, but yes, many organisms respond negatively to aluminum. I’ve shown that myself by adding soluble aluminum to a test tank.
 
Not sure exactly what you are suggesting, but aluminum oxide can release free aluminum into seawater.
Er no it can't Randy, no that's not possible, other wise there would be no Bauxite on earth it would have all dissolved into the oceans Randy
 
It takes fairly substantial levels, but yes, many organisms respond negatively to aluminum. I’ve shown that myself by adding soluble aluminum to a test tank.
Randy , when you actually find out that Aluminium Oxide is stable in seawater an apology will not be required , just go silent and fade away
 
Last edited by a moderator:
just go silent and fade away

Go chase ghosts elsewhere Randy
Who are you?!?

I’m sure Randy can easily dispute your claims, but I don’t think he’d waste his time on someone so rude and arrogant.

Disagreeing is one thing. Disrespecting someone whose work speaks for itself is another…
 
Who are you?!?

I’m sure Randy can easily dispute your claims, but I don’t think he’d waste his time on someone so rude and arrogant.

Disagreeing is one thing. Disrespecting someone whose work speaks for itself is another…
I tried the nice approach buddy, but I got gaslighted by someone who is clearly not a chemist.
I am actually Mike Boyd, I know that because my profile says I am. I am not Miami Reef or some other obscure avatar that thinks they can also gaslight me for telling the truth.
People keeping reefs spend a lot of money and the last thing they need is wallowing in misinformation which helps no one, and can cause them loss
 
Who are you?!?

I’m sure Randy can easily dispute your claims, but I don’t think he’d waste his time on someone so rude and arrogant.

Disagreeing is one thing. Disrespecting someone whose work speaks for itself is another…
And who are you? Randy's Mother?
 
I tried the nice approach buddy, but I got gaslighted by someone who is clearly not a chemist.
I am actually Mike Boyd, I know that because my profile says I am. I am not Miami Reef or some other obscure avatar that thinks they can also gaslight me for telling the truth.
People keeping reefs spend a lot of money and the last thing they need is wallowing in misinformation which helps no one, and can cause them loss
Maybe start posting sources and evidence for your claims instead of trying to personally insult someone.

I thought scientists were supposed to stay logical and factual…

You don’t come off as professional. Sorry…
 
Maybe start posting sources and evidence for your claims instead of trying to personally insult someone.

I thought scientists were supposed to stay logical and factual…

You don’t come off as professional. Sorry…
I did, can you read?
Didn't I say Thank you?
Wasn't I wearing a suit?
 
Maybe start posting sources and evidence for your claims instead of trying to personally insult someone.

I thought scientists were supposed to stay logical and factual…

You don’t come off as professional. Sorry…
I dunno, my dad is a metallurgical engineer and this guy sounds exactly like all of the chemical engineers he has worked with over the years...
 
I dunno, my dad is a metallurgical engineer and this guy sounds exactly like all of the chemical engineers he has worked with over the years...
Well if he sounds like the engineers your dad worked with, then whatever he says must be true…

Doesn’t that sound ridiculous?
 
Well if he sounds like the engineers your dad worked with, then whatever he says must be true…

Doesn’t that sound ridiculous?
LOL
That's a scream, I am actually a Metallurgical Engineer (Material Scientist) and An Analytical Chemist. I also have a degree in Maths
I trained in the steel industry, then became a green chemistry guy specialising in plastics
 
Well if he sounds like the engineers your dad worked with, then whatever he says must be true…

Doesn’t that sound ridiculous?
is that what I said? I don't think it is, but, it does make a great strawman doesn't it!

what I actually challenged was your assertion that he does not sound professional. The thing is, engineers are some of the most professionally argumentative people on earth who are not lawyers and few of us have patience for social niceties once we feel slighted so I'm inclined to say that none of this behavior disqualifies him on a professional level; merely a social one lol
 
besides who are you to say he's wrong? what are your credentials? where's the evidence backing up your claims? or do these things only apply to Mike?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new