Causes for high aluminum

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shnetts
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I just sent an ICP and I predict there will be some high aluminum on my water unfortunately.

I had been using the rest of my phosguard aluminium oxide media to remove some phosphate from time to time.

Ive read those reports and the one available at OCEAMO.

https://en.oceamo.com/reaktormedien2/
Just makes me wonder, how can Seachem still sell those products to the public knowing the damage it causes to the intended customer base. On top of leaching pollutants also sinking trace elements.

Honestly, I think there should be a pinned topic to inform unaware reefers of this. And I would go as far as blacklisting those companies.

If their product has been proven to be harmful and they still have it out in the market. What could be said for their other products.
 
I just sent an ICP and I predict there will be some high aluminum on my water unfortunately.

I had been using the rest of my phosguard aluminium oxide media to remove some phosphate from time to time.

Ive read those reports and the one available at OCEAMO.

https://en.oceamo.com/reaktormedien2/
Just makes me wonder, how can Seachem still sell those products to the public knowing the damage it causes to the intended customer base. On top of leaching pollutants also sinking trace elements.

Honestly, I think there should be a pinned topic to inform unaware reefers of this. And I would go as far as blacklisting those companies.

If their product has been proven to be harmful and they still have it out in the market. What could be said for their other products.

I showed that Phosguard released aluminum more than 20 years ago, despite their claim it could not. They argued with me publicly, then ran their own test. Literally by their own claim in their publication, the test the used did not have a low enough detection limit to detect the levels I reported. They then used that study to continue to claim it did not release aluminum.

they have a very low threshold for what it takes for them to make a claim. By their own statements, just having some customers say something is enough for them to make a product claim (in this case, reducing nitrate toxicity with Prime).
 
> Aluminium based adsorbents such as poly aluminium chloride, poly aluminium hydroxyl sulphate, alum sludge (aluminium hydroxides), activated alumina and alumina impregnated with various oxides (manganese, magnesium, ferric hydroxides etc) are found to be suitable for defluoridation of water

Do you even read these before posting them? This paper does not represent an analysis of a reaction of aluminum oxide into hydroxide in regular seawater conditions, nor leaching of alumina into seawater directly, this relates to a very specific chemical process involving the removal of fluoride from potable water
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef, southchem!

Did you intend to post somemthing?
I will. On your advice which you I believe stated not only that product but any " white " media please correct me if I am wrong. I dumped all white media including a product by Fluval I had there are others Fluval calls it Bio Balls
 
I will. On your advice which you I believe stated not only that product but any " white " media please correct me if I am wrong. I dumped all white media including a product by Fluval I had there are others Fluval calls it Bio Balls

IMO, that's a prudent approach. It may not be needed in all tanks, but I wouldn't use them. The composition of them is not typically stated. Saying ceramic says little of interpretative use.
 
Lets pump the brakes everybody. No need for name calling, insults, or anger. We can all discuss in a civil happy manner or the posts may be removed and the thread locked up.

Take care everybody 😀
Crabs
 
FWIW, folks should not be misled by posts in this thread. Aluminum can be released from aluminum oxide products into seawater. Whether it reaches a problematic level may vary tank to tank due to different export methods, different amounts of different surface area products used in different ways, and different organisms with different sensitivities to both dissolved and colloidal/particulate aluminum.

Happy Reefing!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.4%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new