BioCube 29 Restart

SusRenee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a build thread to keep me on task with my tank restart. I got my Coralife BioCube 29 three years ago Christmas. Before then, my husband and I had first a 110 tall, then a 90 gal reef when we lived in Cali. I had had freshwater tanks since I was a kid, usually a 55 gallon. The 110 tall actually started as a cold water marine tank (which I would love to do again) because my husband went lobster diving during season and brought me home one. He managed several days in a cooler and I just didn't have the heart to eat a survivor. So we built Pinchy's tank! We loved it, he was healthy and happy, eating shellfish we brought him and moulting. Unfortunately, we had a failure on the chiller overnight on a quite hot SoCal night and lost him. We rebuilt the 110 into a reef, and switched to a 90 a year later.
We were active members of the SoCal reef group and absolutely loved our tank. When we moved to Idaho, I knew that moving and maintaining a reef wasn't going to be feasible for a while. Breaking down that tank was the worst I've ever had to so. I'm grateful it all went to a very nice couple.
My BioCube ran just fine until exactly two years ago and was going swimmingly, if you'll excuse the pun, until we were gone on vacation a week. We came home to a compleate crash. I had been having an aptasia issue and I suspected a domino effect die off. But I didn't have the heart to do anything at all. It was completely dead, all the coral, inverts, fish. So it sat, for over 18 months. Finally this summer I had the heart to clean it up. I found the small pump I had in the back with my Chaeto was eaten through with exposed wires. I'm now pretty sure the crash was caused by stray voltage.
So, now I begin again. I cleaned up the rock, dried it and baked it in the sun and then left it out to freeze. One piece literally crumbled on me, but I always felt the tank was rock heavy before. I've added 20 lbs of Bimini Pink, 20 lbs of dry Aragonite and one new piece of live rock to seed things. I still think I want a little more height to the right side, but it needs just the right piece. I'm in no hurry this time, and will take it very slow to rebuild just how I want it.
20200111_095722.jpg

OP
OP
SusRenee

SusRenee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran parameters to get a baseline the other day. Looks like its cycling along. Did some research to remind myself my flow rate. My Jeabo can flux between 540 and 1000 gph, and the return pump is 240 gph, so plenty for now.
The wait is the worst!

Screenshot_20200118-183708_Aquarium Note.jpg

OP
OP
SusRenee

SusRenee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm behind on updating.
We added more rock last week to balance the aquascape out more. I really like the look the branch rock adds, and the rock it balances on has a nice swim hole. I also tested the tank a few days back and today and I'm happy to say we're cycled!
Next up is getting my RO/DI back up and. running. Shhhhh... but I used well water to get the tank going... our water is pretty clean here, but I'd feel better about using RO/DI.
I plan to do a good water change once the filter replacements are here and add a bottle of Fritz TurboStart 900 that I have waiting. Just to be sure it's good and bacterified.
Then, time for fish!!!

20200203200325.jpg Screenshot_20200203-200459_Aquarium Note.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back