Biocube 32/21 led reef bars

jadamsacro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i just installed 2 twelve inch blue reef bars from 21leds onto my biocube and was jsut curious what percetange people were running theirs on? Right now i set it for 5 hrs at 80 percent. Should i do less or more hours/intensity

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i just installed 2 twelve inch blue reef bars from 21leds onto my biocube and was jsut curious what percetange people were running theirs on? Right now i set it for 5 hrs at 80 percent. Should i do less or more hours/intensity

I generally shoot for 8-10 hours of light depending on the types of coral and nutrient management in the system. Corals will generally tell if they are getting too much light by not extending out like you would expect or starting to bleach. Too little light and many times corals will look as if they are stretching to reach the light.

As far as light period, algae control can become a problem with too long of a lighting period or too intense of lighting, especially if nutrients are not well managed.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original ones that came with the hood are on a 12 hour cycle. My 21 ISA leds come shortly after the original ones and go off shortly before the original. I can’t adjust percentage with mine.
50AFF0A3-ECCE-4DC5-9BEE-E30068A0BC55.jpeg

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll just get to the sauce. I had a LFS store that had one and no matter what they did the light spectrum is good to a curtain extent.
Sand bed was about 120 PAR
Center medium height of the tank was about 180 PAR
Top is about 210 from almost 4 inch from the surface of the water.

I’d say PAR for those lights aren’t enough to see exponentially fast growing SPS or LPS and some GSP but they did have Zoas at the bottom reach to the sky and torches at the top that surprisingly start making a ton of new heads.

Cons- about it was Algae. They had to siphon detail once a week to keep diatoms in check.
Sort story… they took it down. And sold it. Wasn’t worth the extra cleaning even having so many snails. (Emerald crabs are a no since they spread them.) and really no chance or room for a fox face or blue or yellow tang in that size of tank.

It’s a great tank to a curtain extent. But high maintenance. But if it’s that much maintenance, really don’t get why the expensive price tag of them.
Good Luck

Last edited:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll just get to the sauce. I had a LFS store that had one and no matter what they did the light spectrum is good to a curtain extent.

I’d say PAR for those lights aren’t enough to see exponentially fast growing SPS or LPS and some GSP but they did have Zoas at the bottom reach to the sky and torches at the top that surprisingly start making a ton of new heads.

Cons- about it was Algae. They had to siphon detail once a week to keep diatoms in check.
Sort story… they took it down. And sold it. Wasn’t worth the extra cleaning even having so many snails. (Emerald crabs are a no since they spread them.) and really no chance or room for a fox face or blue or yellow tang in that size of tank.

It’s a great time to a curtain extent. But high maintenance.
Good Luck
I respectfully disagree, I had great growth with the stock lights including easy sps, lps and softies prior to adding the 21 led’s. I only added them for more blue spectrum because when the whites were on full the coral colors would wash out and I wanted more color pop. That birds nest has been fragged a dozen times. The monti is going to be fragged soon as it is starting to shadow the blastos below it. The torches and frogspawn have all been fragged and will probably be again soon, only so much real estate in a 32 gallon.
BF142356-F764-4B5B-B197-987E1F773B2B.jpeg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s a great tank to a curtain extent. But high maintenance. But if it’s that much maintenance, really don’t get why the expensive price tag of them.
Good Luck
I do a weekly 12.5 % water change and clean the glass every few days. No more no less than my previous tanks over 16 years.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respectfully disagree, I had great growth with the stock lights including easy sps, lps and softies prior to adding the 21 led’s. I only added them for more blue spectrum because when the whites were on full the coral colors would wash out and I wanted more color pop. That birds nest has been fragged a dozen times. The monti is going to be fragged soon as it is starting to shadow the blastos below it. The torches and frogspawn have all been fragged and will probably be again soon, only so much real estate in a 32 gallon.
BF142356-F764-4B5B-B197-987E1F773B2B.jpeg
Stunning! The blues should even help with algae or diatoms right? And detritus on the sand bed?
I’ve only seen the whites on the Bio-Cube. But definitely always a better route for a more blue look! Those colors are popping!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning! The blues should even help with algae or diatoms right? And detritus on the sand bed?
I’ve only seen the whites on the Bio-Cube. But definitely always a better route for a more blue look! Those colors are popping!
Thank you come with blues and start when the lights come on and slowly whits ramp up to full spectrum for 5 hours then go down to full blues until lights out. Not sure what you mean about the lights and algae and diatoms. My diamond watchman goby, nassarius snails and two conches keep my sand bed white and clean. My tuxedo urchin, various snails, hermi crabs and emerald crabs take care of the rock.

Hairy Tee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original ones that came with the hood are on a 12 hour cycle. My 21 ISA leds come shortly after the original ones and go off shortly before the original. I can’t adjust percentage with mine.
50AFF0A3-ECCE-4DC5-9BEE-E30068A0BC55.jpeg
I'm just in the process of switching over my Biocube 32 from freshwater to saltwater. Can you tell me the specifics on the blue LED's you added and where to purchase? Also, how did you install them on the lid? Thanks!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just in the process of switching over my Biocube 32 from freshwater to saltwater. Can you tell me the specifics on the blue LED's you added and where to purchase? Also, how did you install them on the lid? Thanks!
I purchased them here and used 3m tape. Good luck with the Biocube, and feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.
9C7A84A1-F14E-404A-8E81-D281ACDD7C79.png

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 21LEDUSA ReefBars and their ReefBar Pros exclusively on my Aquariums and they do grow corals very well. If you are using Reef Bars, attach them with the RED Double Faced Tape. I’ve used old Aqueon Fluorescent Fixtures, that I’ve stripped and PVC Rain Gutter, to Mount them.

Hairy Tee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased them here and used 3m tape. Good luck with the Biocube, and feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.
Thanks! Did you remove the lighting that comes with the Biocube or did you add the 21LED blue lights in addition to the stock lighting? I don't see much room to add the 21LED lights if you keep the stock lights unless you mount them on the large light panel. However, if I do this, then the 21LED lights would be partially submerged into the surface of the water. Also, how many lights did you install?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Did you remove the lighting that comes with the Biocube or did you add the 21LED blue lights in addition to the stock lighting? I don't see much room to add the 21LED lights if you keep the stock lights unless you mount them on the large light panel. However, if I do this, then the 21LED lights would be partially submerged into the surface of the water. Also, how many lights did you install?
Added them in addition.
A06B7614-F6C8-4A47-9A53-33C091C44686.jpeg
35192BB0-AA90-46D3-A553-FF159891C1DA.jpeg

Hairy Tee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see your picture of the hood and it looks like you mounted one underneath where the lid opens and another on the black part of the the stock light panel. Does the one mounted on the stock light panel touch your water at all?

Hairy Tee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No , they are above the water at the same level as the stock light.
One last question! LOL In your picture, it looks like the two lights are in series and connected with only one power cord. Is that correct? I went online to 21LED and was going to buy them but was unsure if I needed to order one or two power cords. I sent 21LED an e-mail to ask them but they didn't reply back.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 21LED’s are Silicone sealed I have accidentally dropped both The Strips and PRO’s in the Tank, while powered up. Lights were not damaged. On the Strips, I took them to the Hardware and purchased Vinyl Bolt Caps to cover the Feed Through Connectors. They can be linked to gather, just have to pay attention to the Wattage, and order appropriate power supply.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back