Biocube protein skimmer help

lordthaxto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went topless with my biocube and got a octo classic skimmer ( had to dremel the hinges off too ). Intake media trey allows the intake for the skimmer in chamber 2 ( along with my ATO ). Then output goes to chamber 3, see my build thread's latest post for pics.

I started with it way too high, and for the first 24 hours got really dry skim. Now its hardly pulling any, which for my low bio load makes sense. This octo 1000 is rated to over 100 gallons after all :)

I was told nano skimmers are no good, and to stick with HOB or sump. Im not adding a sump to this cube, so i went octo. I saw some complaints online about noise, I managed to reduce the noise level by 50% by adding rubber to the lid.

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I did the same thing recently. I removed my lid and added a AI Prime 16HD light along with a Aquamaxx hob 1.5 skimmer.

Attachments

• 20210128_180151.jpg
    20210128_180151.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 46

kalexander52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing! Got quite a bit packed in there... heater and skimmer chamber 1, InTank media basket and InTank fuge basket chamber 2, pump and ATO chamber 3...
I have a hanger question for you. That hanger for the skimmer I feel like blocks the flow into the chamber a bit. Is that really the only option to hang it there while using the intank water director? Also where does the water level sit around the skimmer itself? I feel like I keep adjusting the skimmer itself up and down trying to find the right height

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hanger question for you. That hanger for the skimmer I feel like blocks the flow into the chamber a bit. Is that really the only option to hang it there while using the intank water director? Also where does the water level sit around the skimmer itself? I feel like I keep adjusting the skimmer itself up and down trying to find the right height
I don’t think it blocks any flow... the flow director does a good job at raising the water level a bit, maybe that’s what you’re thinking? There are 2 overflows in chamber 1, 1 up high and 1 down low, sorry to state the obvious. The hanger won’t inhibit flow.

I run the skimmer as high as possible with the air wide open. I usually set it as high as it will go, and then slowly lower the lid of the tank until it closes. This I’ve found is the best way to keep it consistently at the same height, but I rarely remove the skimmer anyways so it’s not an issue.

Back