BIOTA blue mandarin question

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall. We have a larger tank, 180. My inhabitants are on the large size as well, this includes my 3 gobies. I have an engineer, a blue spot, and a pink spot watchman. My blue and pink spot live on opposite sides of the tank and are decent sized. I want to add a mandarin. I'm worried about territorial aggression from my watchmen as they will significantly bigger than the mandarin. Any advice? Is this doable or am I just going to have to dream about it?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have those gobies, but I have other gobies, gobies are my favorite fish, they are normally very peaceful, I would be surprised if they started bullying the mandarin. Mandarin just keeps to itself, doesnt bother anything. I would try it if I was you

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a pair of Biota Mandarins. Tiny, doesn't even begin to explain how small these guys are in my 125. They're an inch long, but maybe 1/4 wide? I decided to not QT them due to their resistance to ich and the fact they love pods so much. I'm beginning to wonder if that was a mistake..

I brought them down to the rockwork in the colander I use for scooping fish. They soon hid down in the rocks. I've been staring at those rocks for a few hours now and I've seen a glimpse of them twice.

I don't have any gobies but I do have a very large algae blenny who rules all the rocks and a large but peaceful midas blenny. I will let you know how it goes over the next few days.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a reason mandarins are a crazy pattern, they don't taste well. Natures way of saying "don't eat me!". I don't think I've ever seen a fish take a nip at a mandarin, and go back for another.

Your gobies and mandarin would be fine together. Both are rather peaceful, except to their own kind.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of any peaceful/semi-aggressive fish bothering a mandarin.

The captive bred ones are heartier for sure, but are usually really small. They might be hard to find in a larger tank, until they grow up anyway.

OP
OP
Wick3d_1

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the answers yall! I may get one. I just needed to ask because my Pink Spot does not play around when it comes to food or territory. Lol My fish seem to be the badly behaved children

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back