BIOTA blue mandarin question

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall. We have a larger tank, 180. My inhabitants are on the large size as well, this includes my 3 gobies. I have an engineer, a blue spot, and a pink spot watchman. My blue and pink spot live on opposite sides of the tank and are decent sized. I want to add a mandarin. I'm worried about territorial aggression from my watchmen as they will significantly bigger than the mandarin. Any advice? Is this doable or am I just going to have to dream about it?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have those gobies, but I have other gobies, gobies are my favorite fish, they are normally very peaceful, I would be surprised if they started bullying the mandarin. Mandarin just keeps to itself, doesnt bother anything. I would try it if I was you

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a pair of Biota Mandarins. Tiny, doesn't even begin to explain how small these guys are in my 125. They're an inch long, but maybe 1/4 wide? I decided to not QT them due to their resistance to ich and the fact they love pods so much. I'm beginning to wonder if that was a mistake..

I brought them down to the rockwork in the colander I use for scooping fish. They soon hid down in the rocks. I've been staring at those rocks for a few hours now and I've seen a glimpse of them twice.

I don't have any gobies but I do have a very large algae blenny who rules all the rocks and a large but peaceful midas blenny. I will let you know how it goes over the next few days.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a reason mandarins are a crazy pattern, they don't taste well. Natures way of saying "don't eat me!". I don't think I've ever seen a fish take a nip at a mandarin, and go back for another.

Your gobies and mandarin would be fine together. Both are rather peaceful, except to their own kind.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of any peaceful/semi-aggressive fish bothering a mandarin.

The captive bred ones are heartier for sure, but are usually really small. They might be hard to find in a larger tank, until they grow up anyway.

OP
OP
Wick3d_1

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the answers yall! I may get one. I just needed to ask because my Pink Spot does not play around when it comes to food or territory. Lol My fish seem to be the badly behaved children

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back