Bipolarbear's new kitchen (with 225gal peninsula)

OP
OP
Bipolarbear

Bipolarbear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to report that all of the aiptasia that I can see are gone. And in other news I decided to pull the trigger on one of these during a flash sale yesterday:
1708021390681.png

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to report that all of the aiptasia that I can see are gone. And in other news I decided to pull the trigger on one of these during a flash sale yesterday:
1708021390681.png
Cool build! Never seen this one.. and what is that coral a monti?

OP
OP
Bipolarbear

Bipolarbear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after a couple of weeks with running the Osix I'm really happy with the results. The fish seem to be calmer in the evening as the light winds down and it gives me some leeway if I forget to feed right at 6pm because instead of my lights going completely off the gradual wind down still allows me to feed.

I think my plan now is to add 2 more light bars to the system as this winter has been pretty dark and it's been a slow growth period for some of the corals. I might have to have a summer and winter light setting in the Osix to allow me to reduce the amount of light in summer and increase it in the winter.

OP
OP
Bipolarbear

Bipolarbear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of the things I have been trying is seeing if my fish are going to eat zoa's. The great news is I've had 5 frags of zoa's on my frag wall for about 6 months now and not a single head has gone missing. Next steps will be to expand the number of zoa's on the back wall till it's completely covered in color.
PXL_20240307_195715657.jpg

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the Fruit Swirl setosa? I also bought one a while back and was curious how others are coloring up.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice tank setup, what are your thoughts on the Osix now that you have been running it for a couple months. I just ordered one with 6 of the new OR4 bars. I also ordered a couple of the new dim cotrollers for some OR3 bars I already have. I agree the order process is a bit odd and there is very little info out there. They are actually still refining the OR4 bars as they told me it will be a couple weeks as they re-engineer the lenses. I’ve run Orpheks for about 6 years so hopefully these new ones are as good as the old.

OP
OP
Bipolarbear

Bipolarbear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the Fruit Swirl setosa? I also bought one a while back and was curious how others are coloring up.
So the Fruit Swirl has been doing good. The frag has almost completely covered the plug and I'm starting to see new nodules start to appear. The color is interesting, the green and purple sections are there but just faded. I'm hoping the color in those sections starts to be more apparent over time.

OP
OP
Bipolarbear

Bipolarbear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice tank setup, what are your thoughts on the Osix now that you have been running it for a couple months. I just ordered one with 6 of the new OR4 bars. I also ordered a couple of the new dim cotrollers for some OR3 bars I already have. I agree the order process is a bit odd and there is very little info out there. They are actually still refining the OR4 bars as they told me it will be a couple weeks as they re-engineer the lenses. I’ve run Orpheks for about 6 years so hopefully these new ones are as good as the old.
The Osix has been rock solid for me. I programmed it to fade on and off in the morning and evening and then to use the moonlight settings which my wife loves. It's truly been a set it and forget it piece of equipment.

I haven't had to do much more playing with it after that, I have been considering adding another 2 light bars to my setup but I think I'm going to wait till the SPS are getting bigger. At some point I'll also be upgrading the flow with another 1-3 gyre pumps so I'll probably be doing the pumps and light upgrade at the same time.

OP
OP
Bipolarbear

Bipolarbear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 3 weeks I will be on my work sabbatical and have 6 weeks of vacation. I have some big plans for the fish room:
  • Reinforce the floor
  • Paint the walls with mold resistant paint
  • Insulate - maybe
  • Add waterproof flooring
  • Put shingles on the roof
  • Build custom shelves
  • Add a 50 gallon Low Boy frag tank to the system
  • Move the Chiller outside the fish room
I had been wanting to add a frag grow out tank for some time and figured if I was going to be tearing apart the fish room to get one installed I might as well make some serious upgrades to the fish room at the same time.

I'll be sure to document the process for everyone.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Osix has been rock solid for me. I programmed it to fade on and off in the morning and evening and then to use the moonlight settings which my wife loves. It's truly been a set it and forget it piece of equipment.

I haven't had to do much more playing with it after that, I have been considering adding another 2 light bars to my setup but I think I'm going to wait till the SPS are getting bigger. At some point I'll also be upgrading the flow with another 1-3 gyre pumps so I'll probably be doing the pumps and light upgrade at the same time.
Great to hear my Atlantiks have been set and forget for 6 years (not sure I have changed my program at all) I live the ramp up and down with them. I’ll let you know how the OR4 bars are. They supposedly have a bit more spread than the OR3 bars

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 22 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back