OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anchitosia queenslandensis - the “Red Biscuit/West African Biscuit Starfish” - definitely an attractive species. Formerly known as Tosia queenslandensis, and still better known by that name. This is one of the few “biscuit starfish” species that the info I listed above may not apply to, as not much seems to be known about them.

MadCity Corals kept one for about two years by letting it eat algae in the tank and supplementing with algae wafers before it apparently started eating their encrusting corals (I’m not sure if this applies with this species/situation or not, but many carnivorous starfish species actually start off herbivorous and only turn carnivorous as adults - the Crown Of Thorns Seastar is an excellent example of this). They discussed their experience keeping it here on Reef2Reef, and they put it up for sale on their Facebook page when it started eating corals last year (you can still find the post). They may have gotten the star young enough that it hadn’t transitioned fully to “adult” foods when they first got it (I’m not sure when this species matures, but this strikes me as possible yet unlikely), or it - like many fish in the hobby - may have just developed a taste for them randomly. Either way, algae is a much easier thing to feed than sponges, but it might still be a good idea to offer a sponge, tunicate, or bryozoan or two just to see if it takes it.

I’m curious to see how this goes for you - good luck, and keep us updated!
Meet Cookie a West African Biscuit Starfish who is enjoying an algae pellet and the following is what a wholesaler who sells them has to say…as the general consensus is that not a lot is known about them! I’ve been messaging various people to try and get more info as it’s definitely more about personal experience with these little guys vs the science/research behind it lol.
686D2D3E-AAA3-4682-97B8-2571EEA4284C.jpeg
365E1010-28F3-4BAF-9CD7-28340D29B235.jpeg
1268059B-5152-43B0-910A-F370200EA176.jpeg

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meet Cookie who is enjoying an algae pellet in this photo and the following is what a wholesaler who sells them has to say and the general consensus is that not a lot is known about them! I’ve been messaging various people to try and get more info as it’s definitely more about personal experience with these little guys vs the science/research behind it lol.
686D2D3E-AAA3-4682-97B8-2571EEA4284C.jpeg
365E1010-28F3-4BAF-9CD7-28340D29B235.jpeg
1268059B-5152-43B0-910A-F370200EA176.jpeg
You'll definitely want to feed it... although they can absorb certain nutrients through their skin, it's not nearly enough to sustain it over a long period of time

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anchitosia queenslandensis - the “Red Biscuit/West African Biscuit Starfish” - definitely an attractive species. Formerly known as Tosia queenslandensis, and still better known by that name. This is one of the few “biscuit starfish” species that the info I listed above may not apply to, as not much seems to be known about them.

MadCity Corals kept one for about two years by letting it eat algae in the tank and supplementing with algae wafers before it apparently started eating their encrusting corals (I’m not sure if this applies with this species/situation or not, but many carnivorous starfish species actually start off herbivorous and only turn carnivorous as adults - the Crown Of Thorns Seastar is an excellent example of this). They discussed their experience keeping it here on Reef2Reef, and they put it up for sale on their Facebook page when it started eating corals last year (you can still find the post). They may have gotten the star young enough that it hadn’t transitioned fully to “adult” foods when they first got it (I’m not sure when this species matures, but this strikes me as possible yet unlikely), or it - like many fish in the hobby - may have just developed a taste for them randomly. Either way, algae is a much easier thing to feed than sponges, but it might still be a good idea to offer a sponge, tunicate, or bryozoan or two just to see if it takes it.

I’m curious to see how this goes for you - good luck, and keep us updated!
Well, big correction to my post here (for anyone who is interested) that Ayden pointed out in a different thread after communicating with a star expert:
This star is actually Goniaster tesselatus, not Anchitosia queenslandensis - they look very similar, but the differences I could see for ID purposes are explained in my quote below.
Looking at photos of both Goniaster tesselatus and Anchitosia queenslandensis, I can see how the mistake was made - they look very similar, with the only easily noticeable differences being that A. queenslandensis is smooth on top and typically showing slightly lighter coloration at the tips of the legs, while G. tesselatus has spikes on top and lacks the lighter colored tips.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I second that, do you have an update?? I think this is one I want to put in my nano! :)
I still have him and I still love him very much. I feed him krill soaked in phytoplankton. And he survived a NOPOX overdose and giant bacteria bloom back in the beginning of October. I thought he was a goner especially because I lost my shrimp and urchin and didn’t have time to acclimate him in the other tank I plopped him after he went limp from being severely oxygen deprived and then he started melting away a bit from shock and I really thought he was going to die. But he has since recovered/has been back home and is doing great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And he hasn’t eaten or shown any interest in any of my corals and I hope it stays that way. I’ve been making sure he stays well fed. I soak my krill in phytoplankton. After speaking with some more experts a little while ago I can confirm they feed on microorganisms such as plankton but they aren’t well studied beyond that due to them being found deeper down up to 400 feet if not more. Goniaster Tessellatus are also located in shallower waters as well throughout the world but are not typically found on reefs. They have been seen in places from Florida to West Africa and have been observed on shipwrecks as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This was him over a month ago mid-October shortly after the NOPOX overdose in a new tank. The worst photo and me panicking because I for sure thought was dead/melting although I suppose it could’ve been decaying food/fish poop or him pooping due to lack of flow as poop comes out the top. I acclimated him back in the display and he‘a since been good. I’m giving it a few more months and then declaring this little guy a victory to keep. I’ve had him going on 7 months and 8 months since he’s been in captivity.
4E247DCC-E91B-4E55-A6CD-4C65F0384D0C.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My Fromia starfish keep getting fatter...gaining weight nicely
That’s good!:) Mine hasn’t really grown. But they are a different kind of starfish and stay fairly small in the wild too. So I don’t expect him to get much bigger or fatter. Think like smaller than the palm of your hand.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have tons of these little
Guys .
Asterina in the hobby but the actual name is Aquilonastra. There’s debate as to whether they eat coral…some do. They multiple super quickly so I’d remove it. Some people like them but most consider them a pest.
And some have said they eat coral.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back