BJD?

Nko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning to go and check on my tank and a solid chunk of my gold torch was eaten away so I pulled it out and gave it a good look only to see brownish green substance around the flesh. Is this Brown jelly? It is on my hammers too that’s why I am thinking it is bjd but not too sure. I ordered a TSA hologram last week and I’m thinking that this was the culprit. I dipped in coral RX when I got them and have dipped all of the hammers and torches in seachem iodine. What would you guys recommend I do?

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see rapid tissue loss recession and brown jelly like substance oozing out of the dead head that is BJD. You need to remove and isolate infected corals. It spreads rapidly to euphyllia. Run large bag of carbon for tank and aquire ciprofloaxin for 3 dose treatment if BJD. Dips don't work. BjD is caused by corals being under stress due to unstable parameters so their immune system gets compromised allowing the BJD to attack.

OP
OP
N

Nko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you see rapid tissue loss recession and brown jelly like substance oozing out of the dead head that is BJD. You need to remove and isolate infected corals. It spreads rapidly to euphyllia. Run large bag of carbon for tank and aquire ciprofloaxin for 3 dose treatment if BJD. Dips don't work. BjD is caused by corals being under stress due to unstable parameters so their immune system gets compromised allowing the BJD to attack.
Okay I will go to Lfs and see what I can do. Maybe get a little qt tank for them

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I will go to Lfs and see what I can do. Maybe get a little qt tank for them
The only chance is to frag off infected heads and treat the remaining live coral. I have had BJD starting twice in my tank early on and it killed torches, hammers and Duncan's quickly. First time chemiclean helped stopped the outbreak. Second time ciprofloaxin worked well but I know the source of BJD is unstable parameters leading to stressed corals and now that my tank is older I have not had to deal with it again. Euphyllia can get other bacteria infections also that needs to be fragged off and or treated with ciprofloaxin.

OP
OP
N

Nko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only chance is to frag off infected heads and treat the remaining live coral. I have had BJD starting twice in my tank early on and it killed torches, hammers and Duncan's quickly. First time chemiclean helped stopped the outbreak. Second time ciprofloaxin worked well but I know the source of BJD is unstable parameters leading to stressed corals and now that my tank is older I have not had to deal with it again. Euphyllia can get other bacteria infections also that needs to be fragged off and or treated with ciprofloaxin.
Yeah I just decided to cut my losses and just take the loss instead of taking my chances and risking my other Lps. knowing my luck I’d probably lose my tank

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just decided to cut my losses and just take the loss instead of taking my chances and risking my other Lps. knowing my luck I’d probably lose my tank
That's fine but if it is BJD then it is caused by unstable parameters in your tank so this is a critical fix.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back