Black Ich (turbellarians)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for you reply but I don’t get you answer to my question.
1: the only place I got the black ich is in my QT (bought new fishes and invertebrates) DT does not have black ich

2; my real question is best way to get my invertebrates free from black ich so I can put em into my DT then treat my QT fishes.
When that’s done I will leave my QT free from everything living except bacteria.
Guessed I missed your question.
Black spot disease is caused by a parasite that commonly infests tangs and other Surgeons, and can be contracted by other fish species and mollusks (shellfish) as well. If youre wondering if inverts are or can be a source- yes they can. And as Jay said, moving them to another tank will only invite them into that tank as well.
As this type of condition is not necessarily a killer, you can add the following which will slowly eat them and get rid of them: Cleaner wrasse, six-line wrasse, yellow wrasse, spotted mandarinfish any other dragonette fish.
Young worms live in the substrate and feed on detritus and organic debris until such time they go in search of a fish host. Siphoning up the excess organic matter that builds up on the bottom of the aquarium can help to control their numbers and this is where above listed fish will find them before they find a host fish.

patrikk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manage to find PraziPro that ships to Sweden. So I’ll do that and then a lite TTM. Then I also got a six liner as a welcome party in my DT. I hop that will be enough to get rid off if forever

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need 2-3 doses spread 5 days apart. Dose 48 hours then a 20-30% water change after dosing.(do this 2-3 times) My tang never showed any strange behavior but my clownfish was a bit less aggressive during feeding time. My six-line did not get it and enjoyed the issue as his belly was full the entire time. He did nit like the treatment of Praziquantel as is caused him to twitch for like 10 minutes. Don’t overdose if you have wrasses. They are sensitive. Since this treatment causes a bacterial bloom. Oxygen will get taken out of TVs water. I exposed one my power heads to air to keep the tank oxygenated.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a naso tang with black ich.. he also had ich.. too yea double whammy... 2 months in hyposalinity cleared him up of both.

But the ich died first within the first 2 weekz.. black ich took much longer.. about 4-5 weeks in it finally started to go away.

I HIGHELY recomend against prazi pro on Naso tangs... mine ballooned up like he swallowed a golfball and 2 days in his intestines were coming out of his anus... I thougjt i was going to lose him but a huge water change and carbon and he went back to normal.

I did some digging and i found many otjers had similar results eith prazi and Naso tangs... They dont seen to be able to handle prazipro
Prazi just killed my large healthy lionfish in 20 minutes. Not as safe as everybody on this forum claim.

Up and coming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need 2-3 doses spread 5 days apart. Dose 48 hours then a 20-30% water change after dosing.(do this 2-3 times) My tang never showed any strange behavior but my clownfish was a bit less aggressive during feeding time. My six-line did not get it and enjoyed the issue as his belly was full the entire time. He did nit like the treatment of Praziquantel as is caused him to twitch for like 10 minutes. Don’t overdose if you have wrasses. They are sensitive. Since this treatment causes a bacterial bloom. Oxygen will get taken out of TVs water. I exposed one my power heads to air to keep the tank oxygenated.
Hi! First time I’m posting on here but I come to this forum for all the great information! I have a gold rim tang that beat ich (metroplex and rally) only to get black ich start as I was finishing the last dose of rally in my tank so I did a 20% water change and put carbon back in my filter and ran for 24 hours before adding Prazipro (took carbon back out and turned off skimmer before dosing) First dose of Prazipro was yesterday morning. So you mentioned 5 days apart BUT then said after 48 hours do water change then dose again..so am I doing a second dose 48 hours or waiting 5 days? Also, can I siphon the sand and crushed shell at the bottom of the tank without disrupting the good bacteria?? Thank you for your help!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! First time I’m posting on here but I come to this forum for all the great information! I have a gold rim tang that beat ich (metroplex and rally) only to get black ich start as I was finishing the last dose of rally in my tank so I did a 20% water change and put carbon back in my filter and ran for 24 hours before adding Prazipro (took carbon back out and turned off skimmer before dosing) First dose of Prazipro was yesterday morning. So you mentioned 5 days apart BUT then said after 48 hours do water change then dose again..so am I doing a second dose 48 hours or waiting 5 days? Also, can I siphon the sand and crushed shell at the bottom of the tank without disrupting the good bacteria?? Thank you for your help!!

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Prazipro is best dosed like this: add a full dose based on the aquarium’s net volume of water. Add aeration, remove carbon filtration, and run any skimmer, but don’t collect any skimmate. 8 days later, change 25% of the water and dose a second time.
Siphoning the bottom daily will not remove any real amount of bacteria and it is a good way to remove turbellarian cysts.

Jay

Up and coming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Prazipro is best dosed like this: add a full dose based on the aquarium’s net volume of water. Add aeration, remove carbon filtration, and run any skimmer, but don’t collect any skimmate. 8 days later, change 25% of the water and dose a second time.
Siphoning the bottom daily will not remove any real amount of bacteria and it is a good way to remove turbellarian cysts.

Jay
Thank you!! I’ve read so many different ways to dose Prazipro and I wanted to make sure I was doing everything correctly!! Instead of a freshwater dip, could I dip in hydroplex? Would that interact with the Prazipro? I don’t want to stress my girl out too much, I know the Prazipro is much gentler..

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! I’ve read so many different ways to dose Prazipro and I wanted to make sure I was doing everything correctly!! Instead of a freshwater dip, could I dip in hydroplex? Would that interact with the Prazipro? I don’t want to stress my girl out too much, I know the Prazipro is much gentler..
Run a search here on “hydroplex ingredients” - if the information is accurate, I wouldn’t use it for turbellarians.
There are a few different species of turbellarians that infect fish. Praziquantel may not cure the more deeply seated parasites. I used to use formalin, but it is toxic to people and hard to get now, I no longer suggest using it. Hyposalinity is another option.
Jay

Up and coming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay
Ok thanks! Sorry one more question..siphoning the the bottom will cause me to have to put more water in the tank..will this disrupt the level of Prazipro currently in there? Today is day 3 since first dose..today is the first day she’s started to rub against the airline tubing and letting my 6 line pick at her so I’m hoping that means they are working their way out!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks! Sorry one more question..siphoning the the bottom will cause me to have to put more water in the tank..will this disrupt the level of Prazipro currently in there? Today is day 3 since first dose..today is the first day she’s started to rub against the airline tubing and letting my 6 line pick at her so I’m hoping that means they are working their way out!!

Prazi is most effective in the first few hours of dosing, so if you dose one day and then siphon the tank bottom the next morning, it wouldn't be an issue, as long as the amount of water you are removing is less than say 10%.

Jay

Daniel225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK - I've never worried about that, in most cases, it is self-limiting and goes away on its own. This turbellarian has direct development. Noga lists the life cycle as being ~10 days, so I think 20 days would be more than conservative....

Jay
Hi jay just to be clear in most cases the fish will eradicate black ich on its own without the need to medicate? What sort of timeline will this happen 10 days? At what point should you intervene with FW dip / meds?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi jay just to be clear in most cases the fish will eradicate black ich on its own without the need to medicate? What sort of timeline will this happen 10 days? At what point should you intervene with FW dip / meds?

No - it sometimes goes away on its own, not all of the time. There are at least two species of turbellarian and one digenean trematode that can cause black spots. For sure the digenean will go away on its own in time, it has a complicated life cycle that requires additional host(s).

Formalin dips are effective, but are tricky to do and toxic to people. A FW dip may work. For any dip though, returning the fish to the tank it came from can allow for reinfection.

Jay

Back