Black lps eating bugs

ot7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the last week I had one coral slowly die on me, and three other corals that aren't quiet dead but getting there. At first I thought maybe a salinity spike might've caused some tissue to recede so I started to iodine dip the affected ones. It's been 5 days now since ive started dipping and 2 days ago (I dont know why I didnt think sooner ;Facepalm) I decided to take a closer look at the most affected one and I noticed almost microscopic black things walking around my candy cane coral and now I think this is what is slowly killing my corals.

I searched black bugs and
I've read that they attack acans but my acans dont seem affected at all
I have also read that they are too small to see which I guess is true because they just look like little black dots moving around
They also seem to come from australia, apparently, from what Ive read

I suspect they came from my local lfs when I bought an Australian green Duncan (Ive bought from them for so long I just trusted too much they wouldnt have any type of bugs) ;Dead now I am waiting for the dog dewormer meds because apparently the black bugs are similar to the sps eating red bug

heres a video of what they look like (The coral seems to be infested which I cant see without zooming in with the camera)

if you look closely youll see the black dots moving around

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank?
Water parameters?

OP
OP
ot7

ot7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry somehow never got notifications for this thread just to update this thread.
I never figured out what the bugs were. I used some amazon dewormer in the tank which if I remember correctly did nothing to anything.
I also bought bayer and dipped the corals that had black bugs and I think after the dip I still saw some, not as many maybe 2-4 little black bugs.

Later on, (maybe 4 months) I realized my nitrates were really high (100ppm +) so after fixing that most corals looked happy again.
never figured out what the black bugs were and don't have any black bugs currently.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ot7 I just found this thread now because I've been researching these LPS Black Bugs and originally came from an Acropora Black Bug forum. From what I can see in your thread, you did your research to try and get rid of them.
The most common method online I have found to remove black bugs is to use Dog Interceptor Heart worming treatment pills/tablets. I read the bigger the better as there is more active ingredients in larger dog size ones.
Interceptor will kill all the invertebrates in the Tank including Copepods. Think of it as an Invert bomb. Treat the tank as if it were a hollow dog and the black bugs were the heartworms, treat monthly until gone. Move starfish/snails/hermits/ ALL INVERTS out before dosing Interceptor or they will die.

jtone_philthy_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ot7 I just found this thread now because I've been researching these LPS Black Bugs and originally came from an Acropora Black Bug forum. From what I can see in your thread, you did your research to try and get rid of them.
The most common method online I have found to remove black bugs is to use Dog Interceptor Heart worming treatment pills/tablets. I read the bigger the better as there is more active ingredients in larger dog size ones.
Interceptor will kill all the invertebrates in the Tank including Copepods. Think of it as an Invert bomb. Treat the tank as if it were a hollow dog and the black bugs were the heartworms, treat monthly until gone. Move starfish/snails/hermits/ ALL INVERTS out before dosing Interceptor or they will die.
Hey just saw your post here! I’ve been doing so much research lately because I have these lps eating black bugs they killed a thousand dollars worth of torch corals now they are really hurting my acans and other lps/ even some softies. All of my sps is perfectly fine witch is super crazy to me. I have been dipping non stop with bioadvanced ( Bayer) / revive/ reef dip (iodine based) I restarted the tank 2 times now and this past time I just took the live rock out and that’s been in vinigar and hydrogen peroxide for days I’m just straight up killing that and will recycle in my newer frag tank later on. I have talked to a lot of people that said interceptor hasn’t worked at all even at 5x the recommended dose. I have talked to a few people tho that have used the dr. G’s sps and lps coral dip solution. I just got my bottle in the mail and I’m going to dip literally everything! Including that live rock even tho I have been soaking it for days. I hope this stuff works because I haven’t found one thing that has actually fully took care of the problem. Certain dips seem to maybe settle the situation down a little for a small period of time but within days the coral just look absolutely terrible all over again.
Anyways just wanted to let ya know about the dr. G coral dip! You may have already read about it but I can let you know how things go since I’m about to go ahead and do it myself. Hope you get your black bugs taken care of dude

Dule T&T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just saw your post here! I’ve been doing so much research lately because I have these lps eating black bugs they killed a thousand dollars worth of torch corals now they are really hurting my acans and other lps/ even some softies. All of my sps is perfectly fine witch is super crazy to me. I have been dipping non stop with bioadvanced ( Bayer) / revive/ reef dip (iodine based) I restarted the tank 2 times now and this past time I just took the live rock out and that’s been in vinigar and hydrogen peroxide for days I’m just straight up killing that and will recycle in my newer frag tank later on. I have talked to a lot of people that said interceptor hasn’t worked at all even at 5x the recommended dose. I have talked to a few people tho that have used the dr. G’s sps and lps coral dip solution. I just got my bottle in the mail and I’m going to dip literally everything! Including that live rock even tho I have been soaking it for days. I hope this stuff works because I haven’t found one thing that has actually fully took care of the problem. Certain dips seem to maybe settle the situation down a little for a small period of time but within days the coral just look absolutely terrible all over again.
Anyways just wanted to let ya know about the dr. G coral dip! You may have already read about it but I can let you know how things go since I’m about to go ahead and do it myself. Hope you get your black bugs taken care of dude
So, what is the result?
Did it work?

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe I posted this about 5 months into the hobby and I never did use the Interceptor treatment, I remember seeing the black bugs literally all over the glass, all over the substrate and speckled over my coral. Although I didn't ever treat the tank, I think I just kept adding more and more live rock with coral and over time it introduced competing organisms. My problem these days is battling red-cyano but it's really easy IMO I'm just lazy. How hard is it really to syphon/clean the cyano out. Really appreciate the tips though mate, totally invaluable.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back